Best "Value" Bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I own a tree service and used to be a Jonsered dealer for over 15 years. We ran Total bars exclusivly for a while. The overall consensus was the bars would wear down faster and require more maintanace that our Oregon or Stihl bars.

I own a tree service and used to be a Jonsered dealer for over 15 years. We ran Total bars exclusivly for a while. The overall consensus was the bars would wear down faster and require more maintanace that our Oregon or Stihl bars.

I don't think you will find anyone saying that todays Oregon bars last longer than a Total or Tsumura bar. I am pretty sure that the Tsumura bars are the hardest steel, similiar to a Cannon bar in the bar market. The best feature of the Tsumura is the long lasting rails. Last I heard from Walkers saw shop home of the Walkerized chainsaw was that the Oregon bars were not lasting a shift in camp. They are being made with very soft steel.

Dave.

Last edited:
I've used several Total bars and have put them through alot of abuse and they have held up well. I've got one on my Mac 160 right now and use it alot for limbing and trimming and have used it to cut logs in half. I've cut alot of stuff with that one that I probably shouldn't and the bar has held up well.

If you don't mind Jonsered splattered all over the bar, I can make you a good deal on a 24" bar. I have an even better deal on a Total 30" w/chains.

I also forgot to mention the gullet would also wear fast and the chain would slop around from side to side. This was our commercial experience

Back