Best varieties of firs and spruces

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wysiwyg

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm in the early planning stages of replacing the jack pine/brush mess on the south border of our property that I'm currently clearing out. I'd like to stick exclusively to spruces and firs for this area. The trees will have a full southern exposure. There is about 12-18 inches of well-draining topsoil in this area. The trees will be staggered in 2 or 3 rows to promote a fast, solid screen without (hopefully) excessive crowding. The most important factors, almost equally weighted, are

branch density (for screening purposes and reducing the amount of brush that will grow inside the drip line),

rate of growth (faster the better), and

shade tollerance (don't want a repeat of this jack pine nightmare)

Based on an internet search, I've narrowed my choices to Norway spruce, White spruce, and Douglas Fir.

Are these good options? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Probably would have the best luck and least maintenance with the Norway Spruce since it is known to do well in your part of the country.

Thanks for the reply. I was looking to plant a few of each of those varieties, are Norways substantially better than the other two? There will be approximately 12-16 trees planted total.

I would'nt say they're substantially better, (depends what your after) but in your case for what you want IMO the Norway Spruce would be the best selection cause the tree has a history of doing well in the midwest with little problems. The other two are usually found further north and west, not to say they would'nt grow here. Just Wi is'nt in their natural range. Ooops, Norway Spruce is from Northern Europe but its known to do well in your part of the country, thats all.

Last edited:
Thanks again, this is exactly the kind of thing I wanted to hear - buying just one variety qualifies me for quantity discounts at the online nursuries! :D

The DNR down here sells large lots of bare root trees (liners), bout 18" tall once a year at a very reasonable price. Something like 100 for $35.00 depending on what package you get. I would imagine WI would have something like that too. Might be worth checking out and get more bang for your buck.

I looked into that already. They only offer White and Black spruce, and only 3-0 seedlings. I'm looking for 3-2 bareroot transplants or better, depending on how much $$$ I can set aside by next spring. Kind of a toss up between Musser's and Chief River, I've heard good and bad things about both.

Latest posts

Back