Best vintage Husqvarna?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well yeah..........but isn't the 070 still being produced there too?:hmm3grin2orange:

A new 288XP and 272XP would be cool to have. Saw NOS examples of each on feebay recently. Somebody paid over $1400 US for the 288XP.:dizzy:
I told you the stroy I think. When Jeanne and I first bought the house, we had no pennies to spare. I went into Rainbow ag in Ukiah, saw a 288xp full warp, 32inch bar. Never had gas in it, coulda been mine for 650. Kills me to to this day, Priceless!

Got my 181SE a few years ago off of Ebay. It was advertised as running flawlessly, but I suspected it had troubles as the owner was somewhat evasive about answering specific questions about it, and wouldn't do a compression test or pull the muffler and show a pic of the piston. All he would say is that it "ran like a Swiss watch".

I took the plunge anyhow, and sure enough, it ran like total crap when I got it. Turns out it was just the wire going to the remote coil. Re-crimped the connector and good to go. I blocked off the fuel governor per Brad's instructions, and did a compression test. Mine has over 180psi cranking pressure cold, and a quick look at the piston it looked in perfect shape.

Bought a 28" bar from it from Baileys on clearance, it EASILY manages it buried in hardwood, would probably be fine with 30".....Cliff

282816d1362481976-husky-181-005-jpg

Last edited:
Well I'd have to say my 288 that's in pieces in a box. Just gotta get it goin. Heard allot of good things about the 288 on here and from some fallers.

My 372 BB is too new to count.

The old mans 266XP is a pretty sweet saw. He just needs the bigger double dawgs!

I agree with Aaron, that 181 saweet score! And Olyimicyj, Go 288 and never look back, those saws are in a class of there own:msp_thumbup:

I agree with Aaron, that 181 saweet score! And Olyimicyj, Go 288 and never look back, those saws are in a class of there own:msp_thumbup:

Unfortunately, we're influencing ebay prices with all of our 181/281/288 talk. Has happened before with 2100/2101 saws, as well as the 82cc Macs, 85cc Poulans, 98cc Pioneer/Poulan Pro saws, and others. Do a search on ebay for 288XP and see what we've done. We start flappin' our gums and the ebay prices rise. You'd think I'd have learned by now....:dizzy:

Well yeah..........but isn't the 070 still being produced there too?:hmm3grin2orange:

A new 288XP and 272XP would be cool to have. Saw NOS examples of each on feebay recently. Somebody paid over $1400 US for the 288XP.:dizzy:

Nope. Auction closed at $1800 and change for the 288, my dealer buddy's saw.

Unfortunately, we're influencing ebay prices with all of our 181/281/288 talk. Has happened before with 2100/2101 saws, as well as the 82cc Macs, 85cc Poulans, 98cc Pioneer/Poulan Pro saws, and others. Do a search on ebay for 288XP and see what we've done. We start flappin' our gums and the ebay prices rise. You'd think I'd have learned by now....:dizzy:

Sure wish people would quit flapping their gums and bidding ridiculously high on the used 039 cylinders I've been bidding on. Stupid high prices!!!

I don't really think it's "us", as much as the high prices commanded by the manufacturers of "lesser" quality / powered new saws.

Last edited:
You are making me feel old.The first Husqvarna saw I ever saw was in 1975(L65).I was cutting with a guy who had this funny looking saw with a muffler in the front.The first Husky bought was a hot off the press 162 with heated handles.That was a real awakening experience working in the rain with wet gloves.That thing would give you a helluva shock.I did like the contoured plastic rear handle on the 380,185,1100 though.

Well now Gary you are old........really old. :laugh:

Nope. Auction closed at $1800 and change for the 288, my dealer buddy's saw.

For some reason, when I made that post I thought the auction had ended at $1400. After that (when you made your earlier post stating he was your buddy) I went back and found the listing again. $1800+. Yikes. I did say "over $1400 US"..............and $1800 is over $1400.........so I technically wasn't wrong...:D

I contacted him asking if he had any of the NOS Husky stuff I was looking for. He responded right away........but doesn't have them....

Last edited:
I have a 1983 266SE that I rescued from a scrap saw bin in a local saws shop. It had decades of shop grime, a 28"bar and skip tooth chain and a leaking crank seal and chewed up piston. After a good cleaning and new seals and a piston it is a strong firewood saw.

The Husqvarna that I own that I like the best is a craigslist white top 44 that is 1981 vintage. It is a strong runner that had a short to ground in the electrical system that the previous owner couldn't figure out hence the $20 price I paid. It is small but has a lot of power for it's size. It isn't the biggest one I have but I really like that saw when cutting up firewood.

Norm if all goes well it will be even meaner with a new ported top end from Randy this summer! I may send him the old jug and see what can be done with that... funds may be tight for the new top end.

I'm just debating to run my old 36" 3 rivet oregon or go with a Tsumura or Cannon....

Last edited:
For some reason, when I made that post I thought the auction had ended at $1400. After that (when you made your earlier post stating he was your buddy) I went back and found the listing again. $1800+. Yikes. I did say "over $1400 US"..............and $1800 is over $1400.........so I technically wasn't wrong...:D

I contacted him asking if he had any of the NOS Husky stuff I was looking for. He responded right away........but doesn't have them....

Yup, I was in the shop when you emailed him this afternoon, say around 4pm'ish? His wife typed the "no" response. You asked about some 288xp/2100/2101 cylinders etc...Let's just say he's "cagey" when it comes to what he has stored.

Someone else mentioned a NOS correct bar for a Pioneer, or Partner they had. He ddn't have it NOS, only used on one of his keepers.

Last edited:
Yup, I was in the shop when you emailed him this afternoon, say around 4pm'ish? His wife typed the "no" response. You asked about some 288xp/2100/2101 cylinders etc...Let's just say he's "cagey" when it comes to what he has stored.

Someone else mentioned a NOS correct bar for a Pioneer, or Partner they had. He ddn't have it NOS, only used on one of his keepers.

Yep. Right around that time. Think the email conversation went from 1555-1559Hrs according to my ebay message log. Asked about some crankcase and intake gaskets and air filters for my 288XP and 2100CD projects.

I have a friend out here who isn't on the net at all, and is equally 'cagey' about what NOS Homelite parts and such he has. I just sent your friend a question about a Poulan carb that I'm looking for. Hope I didn't bug him too much...

thought i'd refresh this thread, just saw another 288xp that's NOS on the bay, i'm watching it just to see where it goes.................anyway, back to the original thread, i love my 2101xp, 181se, 288xp, 480cd x 2, white top 61 (it may be seeing some mods in the near future), and i can't leave out my j-red 625II with a 272xp top end................only one i miss that i traded on a saw deal, was my 285cd, i love running all of them, just had my 480's out today, kinda slow cutters, but run very strong and loud!!..................:D

hard choice, as much as the 2100 was a west coast killer, Id like to know how much wood has been put on the ground with the 181se and the 266se. Both excellent saws for their size. And who can not love the 181se with its thin rings :rock:

266se for a good 4x4 truck saw and the 181se for the business. Just that little easier to man handle than the bigger 2100. Oh and some have mentioned the 372...what about the singe ring, non epa 371xp :bowdown:

BTW since we are talking NOS and stuff, please see my sig and help me out if you can.

Back