Best vintage Husqvarna?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bout 25 miles SW of Lansing.
Nice, I go thru Charlotte all the time. We have friends who live there. To stay on topic, I bought a 359 off a guy two summer ago down there, wasn't you was it:). I really like the 359 sold that one last summer and have had a couple since, and have another on it's way now :D.
Anytime you want to try some saws out send me a PM and well set something up. Before next fall I plan to have a GTG at my place also.

Yes :) - but I wouldn't call it vintage.
Neither would I call it vintage, but it is "a vintage".
The term is somewhat of a relative term, and relatively speaking our difference in age could make a difference between what we would each deem vintage that could vary by many yrs:lol:.
Maybe one with a different color gas cap would be "more vintage" :laugh:. This peach is leaving today :).20161007_145946.jpg

I agree, vintage is a "relative" term, that needs to be defined if it is to be "enforced" - and what about the relatively old models that still are in production (like the 61, 288xp and 272xp)?

I agree, vintage is a "relative" term, that needs to be defined if it is to be "enforced" - and what about the relatively old models that still are in production (like the 61, 288xp and 272xp)?
Mere copies, no nostalgia there lol.
I'd still take a few of each of them though :). Whoops, I need to stay on topic, what I mean is I would take any of them to be my only saw if I had to ;). Probably would want the 272 if I got to choose, very fun saw, and the clutch is very noticeable as you were previously saying.

I've been looking for a 288 or 272 for a long time and haven't stumbled on the right one at the right price (case of beer kind of idea)... I mix and matched together a 394 and was using it today intensively for the first time since I built it.. wow does that thing chip wood! Someone mentioned the 61's already on the first page getting bored and stroked up to 5 cube, I got mine just shy of it at 4.7 (77cc) with an L65 crank and 272 top end.. Also has a pipe on it and 34" bar.. used it a little today to clean the carbon out of it.. was fun :)

I think a 272 with a little porting would be my go-to saw.. small enough to carry, big enough to not need to have a coffee break during or between cuts.

I've been looking for a 288 or 272 for a long time and haven't stumbled on the right one at the right price (case of beer kind of idea)... I mix and matched together a 394 and was using it today intensively for the first time since I built it.. wow does that thing chip wood! Someone mentioned the 61's already on the first page getting bored and stroked up to 5 cube, I got mine just shy of it at 4.7 (77cc) with an L65 crank and 272 top end.. Also has a pipe on it and 34" bar.. used it a little today to clean the carbon out of it.. was fun :)

I think a 272 with a little porting would be my go-to saw.. small enough to carry, big enough to not need to have a coffee break during or between cuts.
Sure sounds awesome, would be great to be able to see it or actually hear it in a video :thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:.
Yes, I like pictures :picture:.

I assume you had to do more than just putting the parts together?

Good morning Chipper!

The pipe is one thing - but I assume there is more involved, specially since the crank has a 2 mm longer stroke.
Probably ordered a custom piston for that application lol.
It sure would add a lot of grunt down low with the wrist pin that high on the piston causing the piston to dwell a TDC for much longer:chainsaw:.

Yes, the crank flyweights had to be ground down to fit in the crank case.. has virtually NO clearance between them.. Also had to regrind the flywheel taper closer in... Used the 61 conn rod, and the 1mm extra piston height was perfect for taking up the big squish after a touch of machining on the squish band.. didn't need to lower the jug. I have the pipe tuned for revs, so it is a dog down low, but it's running at 11,500 in the cut now.. I called it the Manhattan project, since I figured if it ran at all it would blow up spectacularly but it hasn't happened yet.. I do run it at 24:1 mix though since I know I'm pushing the limits of the parts. Top end is a Farmertec special.. One thing I can say about them is I think the thermal expansion rates are higher in their alloys.. I overheated it once and it felt like the jug had expanded to the point there was no compression, it was fine once it cooled down again.

I could get a little more out of it at the top end, the exhaust duration could increase to make best use of the pipe but I wanted it to still be runnable without the pipe (I'm starting to think I'll change my mind about ever running it without the pipe)

Yes, the crank flyweights had to be ground down to fit in the crank case.. has virtually NO clearance between them.. Also had to regrind the flywheel taper closer in... Used the 61 conn rod, and the 1mm extra piston height was perfect for taking up the big squish after a touch of machining on the squish band.. didn't need to lower the jug. I have the pipe tuned for revs, so it is a dog down low, but it's running at 11,500 in the cut now.. I called it the Manhattan project, since I figured if it ran at all it would blow up spectacularly but it hasn't happened yet.. I do run it at 24:1 mix though since I know I'm pushing the limits of the parts. Top end is a Farmertec special.. One thing I can say about them is I think the thermal expansion rates are higher in their alloys.. I overheated it once and it felt like the jug had expanded to the point there was no compression, it was fine once it cooled down again.

I could get a little more out of it at the top end, the exhaust duration could increase to make best use of the pipe but I wanted it to still be runnable without the pipe (I'm starting to think I'll change my mind about ever running it without the pipe)

big ol white birch aye saw looks presidential at the right angle Effrom

Which birch? That's a fir I was cutting there.. about 35" of wood, out-of-the-box new Stihl RS skiptooth chain

Latest posts

Back