best way to cut 8 foot lenths???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have been buying cut and split 32 inch pieces of popalar firewood for my OWB for a couple of years now but last year my wood guy broke down and I went without any good wood to speak of so I am looking and have found a guy that has a big operation that sells 18 cords of birch for $1500 delivered.
it is in 100 inch lenths so I would have to cut it into smaller pieces myself but here is the catch....
I have a bad back and am looking at sergery soon so my saw days may be over ..
I am thinking of hireing some local guys that have small business yard cleanup outfits but what am I looking at for price??
what can a guy with a stihl 036 and 044 cut in an hour??
I listed those saws cause thats what I have seen them run.
thanks for the input.

shayne

They can cut pretty darn fast if it does not have to be split. The key is only getting wood delivered that can be cut to length and stacked. I would limit diameter to 12" max so it is not too heavy.

If they have to split the wood your time will double

Both the 036 and the 044 are very powerful chainsaws. Unless these guys are little girls afraid of work, or they are trying to milk you for money, then they should be moving pretty quick

Suggestion

Bassman, what part of the country are you in? I'm on the left coast and if I was in your position there are a couple of areas i would look for guys with experience on a saw. The Ministry of Forests could probably give you some names as once the summer fire season is over alot of those guys are looking for a bit of pocket money. Our mills are shutting down due to the global economic slowdown so again we have alot of guys hurting, and i think that would be the same for most mills in the country. The other option would be to find an instructor at a local community college that teaches forestry and he could probably recommend a student. The student might not have the experience that the other two workgroups would have. Good luck, i blew a disc in my back about 9 years ago, had surgery and I haven't had a problem since. Good luck with yours.

Latest posts

Back