Best way to learn to climb and cut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwagner24

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Im new to this forum and have a question for you. I have been cutting firewood for years to feed my outdoor furnace. I have cut down countless trees over the years so i'm no stranger to running a saw. Over the years there have been people that have asked me to cut down a tree for them but when I go to look at it it's to close to somthing important to just notch and drop. I have always been intrested in learning how to climb and cut from the top, lowering limbs with rope. I ordered the climbers kit from here: Entry-level Spur Climbing Kit

I'm not to worried about learning to climb, but would like to know the safety end of it. Also how to lower pieces correctly. I see in videos guys using two ropes while climbing, Im guessing the second is just a back up. I also hear of guys "tying themselves in". I'm not looking to start a tree removal service just expand my capabilites. I know of a few guys around that will come and remove a tree for you this way. Thinking of calling one and asking if they would trade some of my free labor for some training. Don't know of any classes you can go to around here to learn this stuff. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Little more to it than just learning to climb and descend.
I am not saying this is you, but people who say they have cut firewood for years and 1000's of trees, are not saying a lot when it comes to tree removal.
So I think the general rule is if you wanna learn to climb and remove you will try and get a job as a groundy and work your way up. There are too many variables to be taught. If you are smart enough to figure it out, then get a book on the rope/ rigging part, and go to it.

Its one of those things that looks so simple until your in the tree, fatigue from lack of technique might be the most dangerous part.

That being said, I would love some free training too, but don't see it happening.
If you are a contractor you can hire a climber or bucket truck and operator to do the hard part of tree removals, it is currently what I do. I can manage other removals, but the tough stuff or risky falls are subbed out and that way there liability covers what could go wrong. This way I make a little money, and get to run a saw.

Good Luck

First off what kind of shape are you in. Its not as easy as it looks. Second cutting with a saw in a tree is way different than being on the ground. That being said find some one to teach you even if you have to pay them. It will be worth it in the long run. Ive had guys freeze up in a tree first time up and had to bring them down. Not saying you cant do it just make sure you have someone who knows teach you. Be safe.

I would try to get a little bit of training before you start like the other guys said theres a lot that can go on up there that you would never see coming, and without propor training you could get yourself hurt or worse... Tie a limb off wrong have the butt come back and smack you in the face, not put a back cut in and have the limb peel and hang up on your buckstrap or get up there and panic. All things that shouldn't happen with training. I have trained a few guys how to climb and after watching them I would never recommend trying it on your own. I showed a guy some basics before and he wanted to go home and practice (I had no idea) and came back all scratched up, said he got to the top of the tree and forgot how to tie in, freaked out and shimmied his way down.

If you are going to go for it there are a bunch of cool videos on youtube of guys climbing, you can probably get some pointers there. I would start with a small tree in an open field where you wont have to rope anything out.

Good Luck and BE SAFE!!

Thanks guys. I'm really trying to learn as much as I can before trying anything. Would you recommend buying a block for lowering limbs right away or just start with natural crotch? Is there any other way to lower a branch if there isnt a natural crotch? Othen than a block or pulley.

Hey Guys,
Im new to this forum and have a question for you. I have been cutting firewood for years to feed my outdoor furnace. I have cut down countless trees over the years so i'm no stranger to running a saw. Over the years there have been people that have asked me to cut down a tree for them but when I go to look at it it's to close to somthing important to just notch and drop. I have always been intrested in learning how to climb and cut from the top, lowering limbs with rope. I ordered the climbers kit from here: Entry-level Spur Climbing Kit

I'm not to worried about learning to climb, but would like to know the safety end of it. Also how to lower pieces correctly. I see in videos guys using two ropes while climbing, Im guessing the second is just a back up. I also hear of guys "tying themselves in". I'm not looking to start a tree removal service just expand my capabilites. I know of a few guys around that will come and remove a tree for you this way. Thinking of calling one and asking if they would trade some of my free labor for some training. Don't know of any classes you can go to around here to learn this stuff. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I was you a year ago. I bought a intermediate climbers kit from Wesspur, bought climbers, helmet, and whole bunch off other stuff. Including some stuff I will never need. I had knot tying books, watched youtube videos, watched lots of live take downs and limbing jobs, contacted guys here at AS and put some of this information to work. I had dead trees that needed to come down. I climbed them for practice several times before I took them down. When I finally did take them down, I had a arborist of thirty plus years coach me. He had his crew there as well. I probably learned more in the time I spent with the arborist than all the hours I tried to self teach myself.

If you want to learn fast, hook up with someone that has been doing this for a long time.

Thats what I was thinking. Just trying to get the minimum equipment needed to start. I hate buying things that I later find out I didn't need. Trying to decide what rope for lowering, what size porta wrap, to buy a block or not it can drive you crazy :bang:

Yes there is away but, thats a few steps higher than beginner. On a spar you can cut a groove in the back side below where your notch would be to let the rope run it takes some skill to do this. Only on a take down. Your ground guy better know how to work a rope or be prepared for a ride. Not fun! Thats what we call old school.

I have taken down some very difficult trees and have never once used a block, just learn your knots you can tie the portion of the limb you want to cut to a portion still there and lower it to itself. I wouldn't invest in a porta wrap either, if its a heavy limb just take the rope get it tight and wrap it around the tree a 1-3 times depending on how heavy it is. You may mark the tree up a bit doing so, but i dont see the need to spend the money on a porta wrap if you're just starting out.

I would think a pipe/timber hitch... I could be wrong though. I'm in the same position as you. I've climbed trees off and on for years and done plenty of rock climbing. I just don't know Jack about climbing with rigging/spurs and tying off for controlled removals. I would love to learn as well.

That book is coming with my climbing kit. Trying to decide on a rope for lowering to start with. Has to be good for natural crotch. Also would like to go thicker than 1/2 just to be safe.

Latest posts

Back