Best way to learn to climb and cut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a clove hitch with a stopper knot. Check out Arbormaster or ACRT for 2-5 day training workshops. ACRT is in Ohio. I strongly advise getting some formal training AND finding a local experienced climber to learn some tips and tricks from. It will save you lots of potentially dangerous trial and error. ACRT is great for learning current safety protocol. Good luck, have fun and be safe!:rock:

I dont post here a lot, for this I had too.
I am kind of surpiursed thaat some people seem to be almost encouraging a guy to go up a tree and start rigging off chunks he may need a 5/8 or perhaps a 3/4" bull rope, and block to deal with ?
This is someone who states they have very little chainsaw experience ?

Now before you all freak out, this is a case of the OP,Rwagner, who seems a decent guy, asking for advice having never climbed a tree on how to learn to climb and operate a chainsaw in a tree.
Asking if he should buy a block, to which one answer was, nah just natural crotch it ?
We need to seriously slow down and think about what we are potentially encouraging someone to go out and try.
Cutting trees, especially at height, is severley dangerous.
Not just a little bit dangerous, life ending, the long dirt nap dangerous.
Horrible disfiguring life long injuries kind of dangerous, things will never be the same kind of dangerous.
This stufff is not to be taken lightly. We all know this.
I know you guys discuss this stuff daily, and we all go to work and work with trees all day(most of us), but this is a rank newbie, someone who doesnt even know how to, with confidence, run a saw on the ground.
And were all OK with him climbing into a tree with his new kit from Wespur and trying his hand at roping a big top out of a tree ?
Rwagner you need to get a job as a groundman, or go to school, you really need hands on advice. Simple as that.
Forget about lowering limbs and rigging, youve never even stepped into a tree with the spurs on have you ?
Wait till your twenty five feet up, for the fisrt time, and see how you feel.
Maybe youll take to it like a duck to water, but it is not easy hauling your ass up a tree, if you think it is your in for a shock.
Please for the sake of your life, and those around you who I am sure love you very much and very much want you too stick around, get some proper training before undertaking anything this crazy.
Learn to climb first, with a handsaw, you need to earn some respect for the work. Climbing will teach you this, but dont be going up with a chainsaw till you understand what the hell your dealing with. You need to move in stages, low and slow as they say.
Get comfortable climbing in the tree using your handsaw, learn to use the chainsaw on the ground, learn proper safety techniques etc... then combine the two.
Moving too fast, I fear will result in an accident. Take your time, dont rush the chainsaw work, learn to climb and descend and get to different places in the tree first.
You will soon find out it is a lot harder than we make it look.:msp_wink:
And please for the sake of all that is holy, please dont think I am trying to be an uppity jerk, I am not, I am just a bit scared for you, and felt that someone needed to speak up about what you are planning on trying to do.
Its great that you are ambitious, a self starter and motivated to the hilt, keep that fire you will need it. But, and this is serious... do not ever display a lack of respect for the work and the work enviroment when working at height, as soon as you do, youll be sorry.
Good luck, I hope you find some folks near bye to give you some good training, and soon so you get a good safe start at this game.
G.
PS: and please the rest of you, Im not harping on you, I know none of you meant anything other than to be helpful, but please a little caution with the rank newbies(no offense intended, we all start somewhere)

PSS: sorry about spelling errors spellchek is on the fritz

Last edited:
Thanks Grais for your post. I have chainsaw experience but you're right not climbing trees. I will never turn away advice from someone that has experience. I'll look it to the classes mentioned but at the very least get hooked up with someone that does this for awhile.

Thanks Grais for your post. I have chainsaw experience but you're right not climbing trees. I will never turn away advice from someone that has experience. I'll look it to the classes mentioned but at the very least get hooked up with someone that does this for awhile.

As I've told everyone that has ever asked about getting into climbing I told them you need to go to work as a groundman for a good company with good climbers and watch every thing the climbers do and pay attention to their moves in a tree. I was lucky to work for a company with good climbers and the experience is the first thing you need Being around good climber's and watching how they move in a tree and set their ropes. I worked as a groundman for about two or three years and my boss would put me in little trees after about the first year.

I agree that would be a great way to learn but I have a full time job not in the tree removal industry. I want to learn how to do this for side tree removal and fire wood collection from people that may have a tree a little to close to somthing important to just fell it.

I agree that would be a great way to learn but I have a full time job not in the tree removal industry. I want to learn how to do this for side tree removal and fire wood collection from people that may have a tree a little to close to somthing important to just fell it.

Just because you are going to do this as a side job does not exclude the need for training. There is a reason they start guys on the ground, then let them move into the tree. So they can learn and get instruction first.

I understand And agree with you a 100% I need training. I was just saying I can't go work for a tree service for a few years full time to learn.

If you can take off work ACRT has a basic arborist class starting April 15 in ohio. There's only 5 guys registered for it so it should make it nice and personal. And it's good timing

I have taken down some very difficult trees and have never once used a block, just learn your knots you can tie the portion of the limb you want to cut to a portion still there and lower it to itself. I wouldn't invest in a porta wrap either, if its a heavy limb just take the rope get it tight and wrap it around the tree a 1-3 times depending on how heavy it is. You may mark the tree up a bit doing so, but i dont see the need to spend the money on a porta wrap if you're just starting out.

I don't get people's resistance to a block and portawrap. $250.00 investment, easier on the rope, the tree, the climber and the groundie. Safer, more predictable, and less work. I don't really consider them optional anymore. I agree they don't need to be his first purchase, but to say they have no use is going a not far. The last guy that wrapped my hilltops around a tree worked his last day with me.

I was just trying to answer some guestions each time i posted i said he needed pro help and was not for beginners. As for blocks and porta wraps i use them whenever possible. It saves alot of your rope, and time.

Another question; if your main climbing line is 5/8 steel core would you use the same size for your bottom back up or go with lighter 1/2 ?

Another question; if your main climbing line is 5/8 steel core would you use the same size for your bottom back up or go with lighter 1/2 ?

No offense Wagner, but the answer is in the question. I am assuming that when you refer to your main climbing line as a 5/8 steel core you are actually referring to a flipline, or lanyard. I am once again assuming you are using spurs to climb a removal, without a toprope for your first climb. I don't know where to start. It's not what you know, it's what you don't know that will get you hurt, and based on your questions, there is way too much you don't know yet. Please don't rush this.

If I were rushing this I would be out back climbing trees with just a flip line. Instead I asking about the back up lanyard and listening to everyone's advice on here. I'm just wondering if guys use two of the same flip lines or a heavy top flip line and a smaller back up lanyard on bottom. I'm not trying anything without someone there to guide me the first time.

I've seen so many videos of a guy climbing a tree with spurs, flip line and bottom lanyard. They cut all the branches off on the way up and then pieces of the stem on the way down. Where is the life line attached if you are working your way from top to bottom taking a piece of the stem with each time?

The Z133 safety standard requires we use at least two tie in points AND one must be a climb line when operating a saw in a tree.:msp_wink:

Get in on that ACRT course Joezilla was talkin about. Best, fastest education for you right now sounds like.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back