Best way to revive plastic covers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John C

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am rebuilding an 024 AVS WB...i have sanded, primed, and painted all the metal on the saw. It came out looking real nice. Now im stuck with my 2 plastic covers that are in great shape, but faded as hell and a few small scratches here and there. I am doing a 100% rebuild of this saw for myself. I got it for free and it is my first complete rebuild...well almost complete. Im only replacing the top-end. The case is staying intact.

So my question is, what is the best way to bring the plastic back to life? I have tried all types of cleaners and i have tried real fine sand paper...the sanding helped a little but the color is still dull. I hope im not asking a dumb question but i am on a budget or else i would try to find NOS or nice used plastic. Also, can i buy new metal tags anywhere? I need the one that just says "STIHL" on the recoil cover and the "024 AVS" badge on the top. Has anyone ever replaced these? Do you know the best way to remove them? They are obviously riveted on but i dont want to wreck anything trying to get them off.

Thanks everyone in advance...i know the immence knowledge on this site will help me out. You guys have NEVER not answered any question i have asked since i found this website. GREATEST TOOL I HAVE...AS

John C.
central Massachusetts (in case anyone is in my neck of the woods...)

On my old race bikes I used to heat the plastics up with a small torch or heat gun, it may be different plastic then you have but for this it always the white marks out and blended in the stuffs ands light scratches. Give it a shot but start off little my little.

I've tried every method known to man.... and they all work to a certain point. Some stains/discoloration/fading will not come out no matter what you do.
I had an old 028 top cover that I primed with a self etching primer for metal and painted over that. I was shocked how well the paint stuck to the plastic using the metal primer. The cover looked like new and was actually durable.

In my opinion, if you want perfect looking plastic, buy new... or give the painting a try.

try armorall original formula. Rub in several coats and then buff. It worked great on the red plastic for my Honda Tractor, which is very similar to that on chainsaws.

Both seem like they would work...dont know if i mentioned it, but i do have some old plastics i can experiment with. I guess whatever works best for me ill go with. Thanks everyone for the great ideas as usual...still open to other suggestions. Im going to go try those out though. I have some clear high performance enamel, and some armor all.

When I revive older (1990's) saws I just use a mild paint restorer like t-cut or a plastic polish.

I also user a polishing wheel like in this picture. You have to be careful with the wheel - don't use too much speed/pressure or you can melt the plastic.

I've never tried spraying (gloss, varnish or paint) as I didn't think it would be as durable as the original finish.

Using a polishing wheel you get a big improvement but it won't be like new. Guess it depends what look you're after - "used but tidy" or "as new"

attachment.php

Try one of the "Auto Headlight" restore kits that can be picked up a Wall Mart. Might just work.

David

I've tried the sanding and buffing, didn't make it look like new, but it helped. I like to sand with around 400g if its really bad or 800g if its just faded, then with 1200g and spray with rattle can clear coat. It gives it a little shine but not to much.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back