Best way to stack wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pallets plus sides

Before I built a shed for the wood I used pallets too. To make it easier and to avoid having to stack corners I used 1x4x5's and drilled them into the sides, I then strung a rope across the tops to each piece of 1x4 to prevent the pressure of the firewood from busting through. It's quick, easy and the pallets lasted about 3-4 years before I had to replace them. I also got the pallets free from behind Lowes(they said I could take them.
Hope this helps

Here are acouple of pics of my mini (6' dia x 6' high) holz hausens from '07.
I made 2 bigger ones this past season (8' dia x 8" high), but forgot to take pictures.

I built a small (4') tall X~ 7' diameter) 'holz hausen' about a month ago after reading a few articles about them. I don't know if they work but they aren't as easy to get 'right' as I thought before I started.:dizzy:

There is quite a bit of wood in one. It was hard for me to keep the inward slant on the sides as I worked my way up.:confused:

That's how I stack all my firewood. The criss cross is just on the ends to support the weight of the wood in the stack. This way it doesn't take anything else other than firewood and I can stack a square cord. I put all my cords on old sheets of tin with nothing on top. It will all season for a year and my roofed porch will hold bout half a cord so it has plenty of time to get rid of any rain/snow before it gets burned.

I stack it loose like this to let the air flow, can always make the shed bigger.

I know everyone here thinks I know everything :laugh:...but I've been splitting wood (mostly just to clear the yard) and I don't know the best way to stack it to get it to dry. How do you guys stack wood? How long does it take to dry? I'd imagine species, weather, and location are factors. My wood is being kept in a very windy spot in Pennsylvania (lots of moisture in the summer). Any ideas? Thanks.

Ususally about one summer to dry. Just pile is chuck the wood. If you can keep it off the ground that is of course best. Try not to make the pile too huge so air and sun can get to it.

Stacking wood

This works best for me out here in the rain drenched PNW. I try to expose as much as possible to air and leave a space between rows even in the wood shed. The drawback is I've learned from experience I can't stack very high especially as I cut fairly short to fit in our little stove. If I were someplace where it didn't rain so much I would stack close together and build the piles higher to make better use of available space.

attachment.php

attachment.php

here's my stack of wood:

I build columns at the end of every 10 or 15ft to support the wood stack. Keeps me from having to use fence stakes or some other form of support.
IMG_2444.jpg

Why stack if you don't need to. I put pallets on the bottom then i split it and throw it into a pile. It may take a little longer to dry but why spend all that time and energy stacking. The other way i look at it is if you stick it in rows some of the wood is go to take longer to dry because it does not get as much air as other peaces of wood.

A few things to remember when stacking firewood.

1. Keep it covered from rain but still let sunshine dry it out. I use tarps and plywood. If the forecast is calling for lots of rain I cover it up all around. The rest of the time I leave it uncovered to let sunshine speed up the drying process.

2. Orient the stacks so that end grain ( think cut ends) are facing the wind crosswise to help draw moisture out of the firewood. leave spaces between rows for good airflow.

3. Splitting size plays a role in the speed at which the firewood will dry. Large pieces will not dry out as quickly as smaller pieces, remember this will vary depending on species and when harvested.

4. Keep it off the ground or at least put starter pieces bark down to help protect against ground moisture.

5. Use lots of salt, pepper, etc. the more seasoned your wood is the better it will burn in your stove or fireplace.

6. I stack my piles from the top down about 6' high and 16" long pieces but thats just me!:cheers:

Last edited:
Tried the HH..not as easy as it looks!Kind of time consuming but you can put alot of wood in a small area.Looks cool too:)

im having a spot cleared and leveled right now i plan on putting lots of pallets down over gravel and just start pile after pile away from the house and then just bring it in to my new furance room 1 - 1 1/2 cord at a time the less i have to handle the better right now i have piles all over my property of 18 acres i like this the best just use the 4 wheeler and trailer to bring to house keep the mess and critters in the woods.

alastairheseltine.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I LOVE THIS PIC OF THE TREE. I pinned it up at work and some one tore it down after months of being up. Thanks for the re-post woodbooga.

LT...:cheers:

Stack so the sun shines on it?? Shows up every time the subject comes up.

That has a very minimal effect on drying rate. At most it helps the wood it is shining on, i.e., the first inch or two of the piece, dry a bit faster and IMO no effect at all on anything not seeing the sunlight.

Far more important is to stack for air circulation through the stack - that is what dries the wood.

Harry K

I buck wood on site!
Split it as i pull it off the truck. (less handling,saves the back it dries NOW ),less handling.
Toss it as i split it,it lands where i toss it.
Summer 2 months to dry (softwood),(hardwood) about 4 months.
(I AM in COLORADO VERY DRY CLIMATE)
IF you need to dry wood FAST,build a kiln.
Craigslist will get you sliding glass doors (FREE),i use 4 puter fans and 2 small solar panels to run them if i am in a fix.(I sell bundle wood).
Here is a link,(corigated plastic for the roof),$500 said and done.
This site is AWESOME!
http://builditsolar.com/Projects/WoodDrying/wood_kiln.htm
www.builditsolar.com

Back