Bet you never hit this inside of a log!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that's amazing!

my neighbor has 2 sugar maples in front of his house that are ~4'+ across, i used to help him fill the broken branch cavities with cement, rocks, metal, whatever he had! looking at them now i don't even want to try to trim them because of what i know is in there. imagine the things i don't know about!

there is a tree behind my house that has an old wagon wheel ring partially protruding from the trunk, the rest is grown into it. kinda neat to see, there must be a lot of other stuff in the trees, it is one of the first establishments in my town (old farm)

On the fenchline I've got an old dead Elm which someone had placed an old bedstead (U shaped upside down) next to the tree. It grew almost completely around it with only part of it sticking out.

Once I cut into a group of 16 penny nails inside a pecan tree. Knocked 13 teeth off the saw.

Hit a double headed nail in a tree last year but only made sparks with a stihl chain. No damage to the chain -- lucky.

Nosmo

The horse shoe is in the 3rd and 4th pictures, and the brick is in the 1st, 2nd, and 5th pictures. Notice that in picture where you are looking at the brick head-on, the rest of the horse shoe is right next to it on the lower right hand side. The horse shoe broke when we split the log (that's how we found it).

Now that I can post pictures, I'll take a picture of the chain and post it, too.

I too buy some of my fire wood by the tri-axle load. My favorite logger friend brings his tri axle with a knuckleboom and unloads log length pieces of hardwood, mostly oak and hickory, right beside my shed. A load will usually split and stack up to about 4.5 to 5 chords 128 cubic ft/chord. Easiest and cheapest wood I can score... Just wondering what a load of hardwood that size, delivered, would cost in your neck of the woods. ???? Just curious...

I pay about $400 for about 5 chords of log-length hardwood. The trees usually measure about 1-2 feet in diameter, but it seems that there are always 2 or 3 trees that measure 3 feet or more in diameter.

Truck axle, cotton picker teeth, fence posts, deer stand climbing spikes, etc, etc, hit everything once in a while.:givebeer:

Wow,that stinks! I have cut up a lot of 5' diamter oak recently,and so far ,so good...(fingers crossed). At least you have an excuse to get an agressivechain,and not have the safety chain now.....

Wow,that stinks! I have cut up a lot of 5' diamter oak recently,and so far ,so good...(fingers crossed). At least you have an excuse to get an agressivechain,and not have the safety chain now.....

Yes, I have been considering that, but I have a small 18" Husky, 42cc engine. I don't think that it would be able to power a more aggressive chain without straining the engine. I hurt my arm last year muscling a bigger Husky (20", 85cc) when a friend and I were cutting 4 foot in diameter ash stumps. As a result, I had to go back to the smaller saw. So far, no arm pain, so I think that I will stick with the smaller saw until I'm sure the arm is completely healed.

BTW, the bigger saw has a very aggressive chain, and cuts much faster.

Back