better skideer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well said Newfie! I would go with the timberjack if it were me because of parts avialbilty and its easy to work on.

Steep ground, or flatlands, the 230 tj is the steep ground champ, the clark and its automatic trannie is'nt very good in the mountains, but on the flats its fast.

How about a 508 Cat?........... They get around pretty good in the woods.....Wade

Horses are for boys- Skidders are for men

Who would log with a horse when you could sue a skidder. A skidder can haul a lot more wood out and you don't have to train them.

You are looking at 2 completely different markets. Horses are good for if your client doesn't want a whole lot of noise, and wants really low impact. A skidder is great for if you want to take out a lot of timber.

Track skidders

Thats a big ass load of wood. You don't see loads like that around here.

Also that tracked skidder would go with a big load, but the wheeled skidder would be a lot faster and quicker. The tracked skidder might be better in extreme terrain but thats all. But the tires will go ever the stumps much beter.

The older clark grapples would not go with a realy big load, they were not balanced up good enough or somting, but I know of a local contractor had a couple 667s and the Internationals he had befor would pull much more. Although the newer Ranger skidders maybe improved.

Actually skidders are not used much anymore in this area a process what we call hoe chucking is a better method of getting wood from the cut block to the side of the road. A excavator with a heal boom grapple can grab the logs move them they can get alot of wood moved in a day.

If a skidder is used its most likely a grapple skidder the old line skidders are too slow and dangerous when your working on a steep slope. If for what ever reason you need to let go of the load its pretty hard todo with a line skidder.

SWEET DEAL

Ya the escavators would probaly work pretty good i agree. But in a small area they wouldn't be as useful, but in a big area to cut the would be great. What are you cutting the trees with a feller buncher?:blob2:

What do you know TJ BOY??

Sounds to me like you only use T-Jacks. So what would you know about a Clark. Clark's are strong powerful machines. But T-Jack's are more reliable so it's a toss up. It's whatever you like as your opinion

Feller bunchers could be used for small areas don't ya know. It just wouldn't be "cost efficient" to use them on a small lot. Then there's places that they can't go where it's too rocky, muddy, etc. That's why skidder crews are going to be here for awhile.

listen

I agree clarks are a nice worken machine and probaly quite pwoerful. Although they are build shorter and they will not go with as big as a load. Although I think thye are a well built machine. The automatic Tranny is simpler to run, although it may be more expensive to fix.:alien:

I agree

Skidder crews will be around for a while. But instead of just a guy with a skidder its gonna be a company. lets say a company is hire d to cut a small plot of land. The guy will probaly have a cable skidder and get a couple of his men to work it. The days in which just a guy with one skider is coming to an end.
What are yoy running N.B logger?

Back