better skideer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tru dat Yo

They're transmission is more to fix. But, not as much to fix anything on a John Deere. Fixin' up one of those is like burning up your money. Only reason they're used so much is because of all the pansyboy accesories. Guys can't run standards anymore, or that it becomes too much trouble for them. Skidder crews are becoming a dying breed anyway. They'll just make feller bunchers better to replace them

:angry:

What men??

The day of men working in the woods with a chainsaw is out of style. It's hard to find good workers here. That's why most people usually just get some Frenchies to work for them. It's funny though, if A NB'er ever came to Quebec to work in the woods they'd be killed. I run a 240 T-Jack.

YO

Ya i agree. Back in the 70s many frencmen came down from Quebec tow ork and many of them settle din canterbury. But cornys grampa worked in the woods down here. Shes hot man. The french men use dto yell bush noire. i guess it means black-fy. The newer 230s with the cummins engine are a nice machine, so are the 240s. John Deers were never buiolt very rugged at first. But Johndeer eventually learned how to build a skidder. I guess they are an alright machine now

Untrue

I know a Frenchman who is a NB'er for life. He bought a John Deere brand new in 1978. He still runs it to this very day. I believe that todays John Deere's are for the punks who can't operate a skidder unless there isn't an automatic in it. As for those frenchman coming down here to work. Well they can stay In Quebec 'cause if one of them comes around were I'm working. Well I'll do what they do to NB'ers in Quebec. I'll vandalize and destroy their equipment and say "Welcome to Nouveau Brunswick."

Peace out

What hostility Detroit man

There's no hostility at all. I'm just saying that there's crap that happens in Quebec to us NB. Then when they come here we roll out the red carpet. It doesn't seem right at all to me. I have no real hatred for the frenchman its just that they're different when they're not in Quebec. In Quebec they take care of their one

Hostility

Ya the frenchmen came down and cut all our wood off. But even if they would have staye dthe biger companies would ahve got the jobs by now or the goverenment would have bought the land the same as now and it would be still clear cut, but probaly even more then now.
A lot was the people around here couldn't find enough workers. I know one local contrator was around 8 crews of french men on. Cornys grampa came down to work and shes hot.:angel:

Did you watch all of that tape yet?

T-Jack boy did you watch that tape yet? It is a long one but you should've seen it all by now. If you're done there's another one for ya. It's got some French hotties on it so oh yeah.

You must be from BC. Or at least from the West Coast area. That's were all the big International companies are at. So know wonder they don't use skidders.

Hey Ryan I run a 508 Cat..........nice skidder automatic 3 speed on the column......has great brakes and is dependable. The winch is an in house winch made by cat and in my opion is junk.........I would like very much to find a good used allied winch for it somewhere in the near future..............Listening to you other guys go on about john deer automatics being for ?????'s come on.......if it was within my price range I would have a brand new 450H long track and a 540G with a closed in cab heated/ac.....oh yeah why I am dreaming a good used prentice 180 with closed in cab as well heat /ac and a bucksaw to boot...........time for me to wake up later...Wade

hmmm

If I had the money I would look at the Franklin-tree farmers maybe. They are a rugged looking machine now. Poor timberjack arn't the same since Deere took over, all the are are deers painted green except for the 660D that would be an awsome machine. The 508 cat is a nice skidder, how many hp is it rated at? are they 185? What size of tires are you running on it Wade?
Yes i watched the tape N.B logger i gave it to you yesteraday!!!!!!!!!! The woods around here is alll being clear cut now and they are cleaning up everything, although they are strip cutting one spot near here. They arn't leaving very big strips of trees though. I was thinking of getting a contract for valley, but the way they are cutting it Id have to purchase a grapple and feller buncher combo, I don't feel like havinn that much money at stake so im sticken with the cable skidder.:blob2:
Corns hot!!!!

Line skidder

With a line skidder if you are crossing a swamp and get spinning you can drop the road and pull a head until you are on good ground then winch the load back in. With a grapple you drop your load and shes left in the swamp.:blob5: :blob6:

We run a late 70's JD 440. It has been a real good machine except for the fact that it has no provisions for starting during the winter time. It is a little on the small side, but it can go place the big boys cant and it tears up the woods less. i do wish it hide the low pro tires that the new ones have.
BTW I am still kicking myself for not buying a Clark cable that was for sale in my area awhile back. The thing was in really good shape with the exception of its detroit diesel two stroke motor which needed a rebuild.

hmm

The 440 won't really go naymore places then the big boys. My friend has a 440 and it wouldn't go down an unplowed road with front chains on, and at the same time we were in the woods with just the front chains on yarding wood.:blob2: They might squeeze through the woods better maybe, but generally with a skidder with 18 tires on you can maneuver through most anywhere.

Ben, I think we must take a look at past statements as I think we are being trolled. If I could get my hands on a good 440D then I would have one RIGHT now as they ARE good skidders.

ya

No doubt they are a good machine for the small woods. But whne you gte a good load of rock maple on in 4 feet of snow I think you might want somthing a litle bigger.

440s were great when they came out but that's been a long time ago..........I have had some hair raising experiences on those 440s always concerning the brakes......... my dad had one and it was handy, but after you have ran other newer bigger skidders you'll want nothing to do with them.....dont feel near as stable only skid about half of what a 540 or 240 will pull footage wise.......... If I was going after and older used skidder I would probably go after a 540A(JD) or 230 or 240 Jack something along those lines........not in any particular order either just would be looking for the most reliable looking and reasonably priced one I could find........Wade

Back