Beware - eBay bias towards buyer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ebay customer service said in order to appeal I need evidence in communication with the buyer that he tampered with the carburetor adjustments. The buyer now has absolutely zero incentive to admit that, yet alone respond to my communications, since eBay already ruled in his favor and returned his money. In the last email I politely asked for verification that he returned the bar so that I could pursue an insurance claim against USPS if it was missing, and asked that he return the limiter caps so I could reinstall them. The bar since turned up, but I'd be surprised if I ever get any response about the limiter caps. If I do, then I have my evidence and can file an appeal.

I was surprised how quickly eBay closed the case. I would think they would leave it open until the buyer responds to the sellers comments. Once the case is closed and decided in the buyers favor, why would the buyer even care at that point?

It is getting where you can' t trust anyone anymore. At one time a man's handshake was his bond; not anymore, as they probably has a weapon in the other one. I had quit selling on Ebay several years ago because all the problems I had even selling new items.

I moved from an area nicknamed Poor Dog and found out why but it seems new area is just a bed crooks too. They want work the done and then not willing the repair bills. They think I should do it for free and pay for the parts too. I getting to the point now of just considering quitting and seeing if I get a part time job at a local shop. Of course then I probably need an armor car for my tools.

Ebay serves it's purpose, but is terrible to sell on.

After you pay the 11% in fees between them and paypal, you're on the hook for the buyer doing nearly anything.

I see a lot of sellers now specifically refusing returns straight up because of "Ebay Parts Swappers". I guess people get the saw, swap what they want and then dishonestly send it back for a full refund. WOW

I'd been a member of eBay since the late 90s. Back when it was smaller, the fees were not bad at all. I don't remember the exact figures but a $100 item might have $3 in fees.

Last year I sold a roll of .500" Chainsaw chain on eBay. I got hit with about $85 in fees. It worked out to about 15% after figuring they even charged fees for the money I got for shipping so the shipping was partially out of my pocket!

It is getting where you can' t trust anyone anymore. At one time a man's handshake was his bond; not anymore, as they probably has a weapon in the other one. I had quit selling on Ebay several years ago because all the problems I had even selling new items.

I moved from an area nicknamed Poor Dog and found out why but it seems new area is just a bed crooks too. They want work the done and then not willing the repair bills. They think I should do it for free and pay for the parts too. I getting to the point now of just considering quitting and seeing if I get a part time job at a local shop. Of course then I probably need an armor car for my tools.

That is the case when dealing with the public.

Last week we serviced a push mower and the fuel shutoff was turned off when I loaded it into her SUV. Customer was shown the shutoff and that it was a good idea to use it when transporting or storing the mower.

She came back in a rage that the mower wouldn't start.
Yup... never turned the fuel on.

Next, a day later Is It won't cut grass. New blade she provided was installed (and yes, it was the correct blade and installed correctly too). I took it outside to the yard and of course it worked just fine.

A day or two later she comes by demanding the bagger that we stole. Mower came in with a mulch plug, no bagger.

Argh!

Argh is right...Of course it doesn't cut by itself. Sounds all too familiar.

Enough to make me pull what hair I got left out some days. No wonder I have migraines every week now. Be glad when I get to the rocking chair money (if it still there) and still have to work but at least I could a day off every so often.

All of the above is why I quit selling on fleabay. I still buy some items, but have only sold one or two items in the last four or five years. For several years before that I sold chainsaws and parts from September to April every year, from April to september I scrounged for them and repaired them to get ready to sell, but no more. Tom

I've heard lots of horror stories of selling saws on Ebay... I don't think I ever will. I do buy on Ebay, and for the most part have had good results... Stuff from China is CHEAP, so at least I'm getting a lousy product at the right price ($9.75 for 40 microswitches SHIPPED, that CAT wants $15 each for.. same darned switch).. I have one outstanding item that apparently was resent because I didn't get the first one.. haven't gotten the second one either now and it's been a month... (they were borescopes for Android cell phones, would be really handy to inspect chainsaw jugs)

It wouldn't bother me too much if eBay was biased towards the buyer if the buyer was the one getting charged the auction fees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For $28 I would've gave for free if you don't bring it back or took it to the dump[emoji52]. Put up with enough idiots at work [emoji37]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Selling saws on ebay is a crap shoot, sometimes you get great buyers and sometimes you get buyers that shouldn't own a saw. I've had both kinds and thank goodness the good guys outnumber the bad ones by about 50 to 1. When I buy a saw I want it to be cheap and complete, I'll worry about how it runs when I get it home.

The very same thing happened to me on a nearly new 600 dollar iPad. Seller says it was defective and they charged my account for return shipping. The item was returned missing attachments and was unable to boot up. I took it to a repair shop and when they opened it I found it wasn't even the iPad I sent him and it was junk. eBay still returned his money and I got stuck with a broken iPad. The buyer had two other bad feedbacks for doing the same thing, Ebay claimed it was their seller guarantee, but it wasn't them that lost a 600 dollar iPad, it was me. I fought this for three months with eBay and my bank and they still screwed me. I feel for you guys that have trouble with sellers, but buyers can be even worse

Does it do any good to put some kind of wording in the ad to potential buyers like " Know what your bidding on as there will no returns" or in bold letters "All SALE FINAL, NO EXCEPTIONS " or do deceitful buyers have a way around this these days .

I don't sell on E-Bay anymore , nor do I care to after reading this stuff, plus the fees . When I did sell I always worded my ads making it clear that I wasn't going to refund any money no matter what because you just don't know what happens to that saw after it leaves your home and goes to the shipper. I got stung a couple of times as a buyer on E-Bay put chalked it up to experience and never called out a seller that may or may have being misleading .

Does it do any good to put some kind of wording in the ad to potential buyers like " Know what your bidding on as there will no returns" or in bold letters "All SALE FINAL, NO EXCEPTIONS " or do deceitful buyers have a way around this these days .

I don't sell on E-Bay anymore , nor do I care to after reading this stuff, plus the fees . When I did sell I always worded my ads making it clear that I wasn't going to refund any money no matter what because you just don't know what happens to that saw after it leaves your home and goes to the shipper. I got stung a couple of times as a buyer on E-Bay put chalked it up to experience and never called out a seller that may or may have being misleading .
That does not hold water with the EB/PP nazis unfortunately.

Latest posts

Back