Bid this tree!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Northman,, you really are out to lunch.... The job was 2010, so the seedling began its life in 1908.
The circumference at ground level was 32', not the 32'6" I wrote. You missed an image.
And your reading comprehension skills need some work. The 27' log DID weigh 27k lb. It matters not to me what you "doubt".The butt log, only 2-2.5' long, weighed 6500 lb. Ask Gerry Beranek.. truck loads of redwood can be full in fall/winter and half full in spring. I have cut a cubic foot of sequoia and it weighs over 70'. That was years ago, so I don't recall the weight, exactly.

And the crane was at a 50-55' radius, nowhere near full extension. but the 27k lb was over the load chart and the alarm was going off.

I've never weighed wet cottonwood. but doubt it comes close to the weight spring redwood, low on the trunk.

There was a second log truck load . bunks were probably at 20'... I have images, which are not on the album you saw.

You sure are a skeptical chap. It might help if you thought about who you are criticizing.

Northman,, you really are out to lunch.... The job was 2010, so the seedling began its life in 1908.
The circumference at ground level was 32', not the 32'6" I wrote. You missed an image.
And your reading comprehension skills need some work. The 27' log DID weigh 27k lb. It matters not to me what you "doubt".The butt log, only 2-2.5' long, weighed 6500 lb. Ask Gerry Beranek.. truck loads of redwood can be full in fall/winter and half full in spring. I have cut a cubic foot of sequoia and it weighs over 70'. That was years ago, so I don't recall the weight, exactly.

And the crane was at a 50-55' radius, nowhere near full extension. but the 27k lb was over the load chart and the alarm was going off.

I've never weighed wet cottonwood. but doubt it comes close to the weight spring redwood, low on the trunk.

There was a second log truck load . bunks were probably at 20'... I have images, which are not on the album you saw.

You sure are a skeptical chap. It might help if you thought about who you are criticizing.

I wouldn't be criticizing if you were being honest. If you claim to be such a damned expert and worked anywhere in the PNW you would have a pretty damned good idea as to what cottonwoods weigh.

Though I'm not sure what I expected, worked with enough "arborists" via the log truck that wanted to go "logging" to know better, lots of talk, lots of wasted time, lots of wasted wood, lots of wasted money. IF the Self loader charged that much for a couple loads in 2010, that tells me you wasted an entire day that dude was waiting on you to get **** done, we charge by the hour for this very reason.

I know you're retired (and damned good thing too) but to the young gamers out there, if you plan on having the logs hauled, get them down, and stacked up, then call the self loader you might even get paid for the logs then instead of the truck taking most of the money. Rent a machine to move the logs if you have too.

I know that working with a crane is difficult, but do your best to schedule the log truck to show up when the logs are being picked at the very least, then don't spend all damned day ****ing off and playing with your saw selection, trimming your nails, learning a new knot, picking the perfect biner etc etc etc, have the stem marked, and rigged ready to go so that the wait time for the log truck is a bare minimum.

Back