bidding or by the hour

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spreaderman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
most of us bid our jobs, I am asked sometimes how much do you charge an hour..... I have 1000-1500 dollars in equipment,maybe more I am charging 30-40 per hour depending on the amount of tools I use, ropes, wedges, etc. I have a 50 dollar minimum when I work hourly, I usually bid but there are those times that I work hourly an was just curious what others charged

For three men, chip truck, dump truck and bucket truck we would get $165.00/hr a few years back. It works best when trimming. It is very easy to under bid a trim job.

P.S. we would also get dump fees on hourly jobs.

there is a bit of variance from market to market, fuel cost, insurance yada yada yada

Here $50/mhr is the mean sans-bucket. There are companies that try to hit around 80/mhr. I know tow that go 125 for bucket and operator. Most guys I work for are shooting for 65-70.

From what I understand it is chjeaper to live in 'bama so your current rate may be good for the area.

Some places it is a lot easier to live off of less.

I know some people in Chicogoland billing around $90/mhr.

My best client gets $200 per hour for 3 men and chip truck. But it's 3 VERY productive men. He also pays me well and pays his groundman better than what a lot of climbers make. About 40% of our work is hourly.

My experience has been the average customer wants a set price or bid....when you tell them $165 hr and explain to them how long you believe it will take, they seem to back off.

Believe or not, if the customer would go for an hourly rate, most of the time I think they would come out on the winning side.

Of course they will always be the times when pruning or removal takes longer than we expect......

I try to avoid bidding by the hour. Most of the time the customer is pleased with the bid price and the work but the price per hour would have frightened them initially(they didn't realize how fast I can work.):D I shoot for $65 per hour but usually gross less -I'm an optimist about time and degree of difficulty-I need to be more optimistic about the customer's willingness to pay for my quality work!:rolleyes:

part time red neck to you. in ny we did not bid by the man hour. but when we figured a bid we figured 300-350 an hour for a crew and chipper truck. last week i was in ny i averaged about 2500.00 a day while being done by 1:30. the hourly thing is kind of a guide line. for dead or nasty tree's the price goes up. its not uncommon to put a 1,200.00 removal on the ground in 2 hours.

My rule of thumb is $50 per man hour. I figure that is $25 for the man and $25 for the equipment. With the exception of some pruning/trimming I usually meet or exceed that mark. I rarely work by the hour. I try to envision how long a job will take and then add on one to 3 hours and any additional hazard, disposal or pain in the rear charges.

Run from the per hr stuff - nothing like customers needling you to hurry up. Bid the job, if you lose, take the loss but the silver lining is that when you win, you take that. You will learn to bid with time. The key to doing it well is NOT getting a yes everytime.

I shoot for $50 per man hour even if that man hour is a day labor guy from San Luis Potosi or Zacatecas. Markets will vary. You may be able to drop a $1200 tree and clean it up in 2 hrs in New York but you can't even rent a coffin there for $1000.00 a month. Living is a lot more. Same goes with the Bay area out west.

Compare yourself in terms of price with what is local.

My minimum is $150 - many a time have I spent 10 minutes clearing a tree from a car for that minimum. I can get away with it though. This market allows for that since the big green D company has a $250 minimum.

I can tell you this much about mark up - mark up twice and you will go broke. Mark up 3 times and the doors will stay open. Mark up 4-5 time and you will be able to show some profit as well. Whether it is widgets or tree work, we are all in the business of buying and selling man hours even if they are our own. You want to sell higher than you buy and optimally, put a nice mark up on as well.

Bidding

Customers sometimes ask why it cost so much for just one or two hours or work....they often need the explanation that even though we are here just a short time, there is a lot of energy that goes in....2 ground guys, a bucket, a climber, plus all our expenses (equipment maintenance, dump fees, insurance). Once they understand that, it gives them a better idea that they are not just paying for me to climb up there and cut a branch.
it's important the clients know where all there money goes...they appreciate it more!

love
nick

I think DTE hit's it on the head. You need to make money on the job, but for the day, the week, month and year.

So you take yearly expenses, and divide by minumum day per year worked. I used to figure 200 for ease of use. If you never work weekends then that is 104 days gone there, holidays, weather sick....gotta budjet in equipment down time. also if we look at 12 months 4 weeks 4 days a week we get 192. 5x4x12=240+104=344 which does not leave much for time off.

So lets say your total expenses (including your pay, and your wifes for doing the books and phone work!!) is 100K for a micro company with one partime worker (wich really aint much, I'll spend over 20K this year, and it is just me) .

so this leavs us needing 500 per day just to cover general expenses, 500/8=63 per crew hour. If you charge 100/crew hour your profit on 8 hours is 296.

If you are one of those who bust but and only has 21 non revenue generating days a year then it is 417/8=52 which generates 384 in profit.

Now that I have dulled everyones mind and have the math police coming after me, I'll look at it another way.

You need to make 500 to cover budgeted expenses for the day, you want X dolars for the day, now you look at the job as not per hour, but as a segment of the day. OK this is 3/4 of the day including prep and drive time, the crew gets paid after all.

Can I get other work for the rest of the day near by?
Does it need to be done right away or can I wait till I get that other work to round the day out?

No to both these question means you need to get a full days revenue for the job, matbe add on other work on the property in the negotiations.

If make make money on jobs regularly "by the hour" but do not make it by the day, then you will not make it by the week, month year.

Here in North Carolina, I try to bid $125/hour for climbing and a bit less for drop and chip stuff. Of course, I don't tell the client that rate, I estimate the length of time to complete and go from there.

I like the per day margin. I am happy to clear $600 - $800 a day.

Dan

hr.rate

here in new orleans .we try to stick with the daily rate of 2000-2500.for a 4-5man crew and equit.if we do use the hourly its 70 per man.but our mins.are 250, unless were right in the area.

HOURLY VS. FLAT FEE

We generally base everything on some kind of hourly concept. But we never tell the customers what the formula is.

For myself, the range is $50 to $125 per hour. And less on any subordinate help.

The man that climbs for me gets $60 per hour.

The nature of the job determines the price.

Last month, I bid a Photinia hedge at $290. It took me and a laborer 2 hours to do it. With $20 worth of debris and $30 for the laborer, that provided me with $240. Considering my bid time, that was a little over $100 per hour.

That job in our area was worth maybe $350. But I figured some migrant from California would do it for $200, so I came down.

2 years ago, I pruned one of these yards that is sort of oriental like, where the pines are to be kept contained. My bid was $600 and it took 5 hours by myself (did my own clean-up).

The previous pruning was done there by 2 men for 2 full days at $1100. And those guys only cut back, they did not thin.

So those guys were basing there bid supposedly on about $35 per hour per man. But they were doing a worse job, and the landscape was getting out of control.

Actually, I'd have to say that that was "THE" one and certain job location that showed me not to disclose to a customer what I clear per hour. Not that there was a problem with these customers.

But so many people get wrapped up in how much someone is making per hour, instead of what they are getting for a certain price.

Today, I did one hedge for 2 hours and make just $80.

A few weeks back, I contracted taking down a big Maple for $1700 and cleared $900 for the day.

All in all, it boiled down to:

There is a bottom limit to what I will work for.
I am glad to be able to have work.
What is the job worth - how much ingenuity does it rely upon.
If I "read" that the customer really is short on funds, I'd rather make something than nothing - they are a reference that will send work.
We turn down virtually nothing.
Never bid our way out of a pitiful scenario - either say no, or make a price that fits.

The Photinia hedge I mentioned at $290, the other bid (and I was given the actual copy) was $1200 from a Highlander Tree Service here in Portland. Their bid would have yielded about $400 to $600 per hour.

A landscaper in Beaverton either read a book or attended a seminar. The speaker ellaborated on a few disasterous techniques in business. One was where a company decides they don't really like a job. So they bid it really, really high - figuring that either the people will not call them, or, if they get the job, it will pay so high as to immunize the pain of the job or the embarassment for doing menial tasks.

Bidding on the high side is one thing. But bidding extremely high is dangerous. The result is that the person is so shocked, there will be little else they can think of sharing for a few days. They will tell the neighbor next door, the one over there, the one behind, etc.. how high such-and-such a company is. As well as their friends, co-workers and so on.

Extremely high bids, according to the seminar or book man, result not in one job avoided, but several to several dozen people knowing how outrageous the prices are.

Mario Vaden
Landscape Designer / Arborist
M.D. Vaden - Trees & Landscapes
Beaverton, Oregon

I'm suprised you guys worry so much about letting your hourly rate out. Don't you think if you bid a job for $660 and it takes four hours, that the customer will be able to figure out that you charge $165 per hour?
Is it smart to bid low because you might be bidding against a fly-by-nite?
Does it matter what kind of work you are doing? Is the cost of doing business lower that day because you are trimming bushes, compared to trimming trees? Even if you don't grind a stump, you still need to make the payment on the stumper.

High prices are ok and can be used as a form of branding your company. I have seen others here do it. Though few successfully. By branding, you are less commidity based and more value based. Like paying $30 for a pair of socks because they are from Ralph Lauren.

People say wow, they are expensive but they get the job done. Many people will avoid them because they can get the same quality else where but for many where money is no object, they will go for the high company as a prestige item.

I hate these companies and these customers because they oversell and are oversold. They aren't sold solutions for tree care, they are sold item to charge for like 10 unnecessary cables in a healthy oak and broadcast fertilizing that bring pests and spray work.

High prices and profits are ok. Customers figure out fast what you are taking.

Bottom line is that tree care business is buying and selling man hours. No more, no less. If you believe any different then you probably also believe that McDonalds and Coke don't care about a profit as long as everyone has a smile.

Latest posts

Back