Bidding Work

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StIhL MaGnUm

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Ok guys I want to know how you go about bidding your jobs an such..First I'll tell you the way I do it and see what you think if maybe there is ways I can improve upon them..

First my minimum charge to clear per acre is $2,000 this includes the following

A.Notch an Drop
B.Leave tops for firewood
C.Chip tops extra $500
D.All timber gets hauled
E.Cut an spread slash neatly
F.Cut in and build logging road add $1,600 depending on length
G.I pull all necessary intent to cut permits etc. extra $50
H.I pull stumps and bury them on property anywhere from $1,000-$3,500 depending on acreage and stump count.
I.Skid all timber to landing area

so what do you think about this way,I'm in need of some suggestions I have been thinking about taking on some homeowner jobs like 1-10 tree's etc how should I go about bidding jobs like these??Discounts,individual tree,multiple tree etc..

Thanks for any help
Rob.

Last edited:
Rob, from what I understand down here... its a $2400 minimum charge for clearing an acre. That includes; cutting all trees required and chipping the brush. I am not sure if it also entails taking the logs away or not. I know though that when it comes to stumping... you have 2 options if you don't want to get into trouble with the DEC. 1) pop the stumps with an excavator and haul them off to a dump site. or 2) pop the stumps and bring in a tub grinder to grind them up on site. Thats at least $3500 an acre.

Matt,

Thanks for the input from what I have been told by a number of people is that atleast here in NH that you can bury stumps legally as long as they are not within 100' of a structure..but I guess I could look into that some more when the time comes I rarely pop stumps anyway useually 1 or 2 times a year,usually the excavating contractor does that when I'm done cutting..I have been thinking about changing my prices thats why I started this thread to see what others are charging to get some ideas if I should go up or down with the price..

Rob.

around here land clearing goes for about $3200 per acre including grinding the stumps 12" deep. That also incudes chipping the brush and hauling off the firewood.

Most excavation contractors will rarely give a firm bid on a job everything is done by the hour its usually the machine rate of 80-100 bucks per hour. When the operator is falling trees usually the customer gets charged machine time (Excavator) and if there is trucking involved thats a extra 65 bucks per hour. If there is a labourer on the site helping its extra 30 bucks or so per hour.

Any slash is piled and burned if it can't be burned its hauled to the local landfill and they charge 30 bucks per ton the landfill grinds the wood. If there is any saw logs the homeowner either gives them to the contractor or they have them milled. A excavation contractor doesn't cut firewood if the homeowner wants the wood saved it gets cold decked on the property if not the contractor takes it.

Around here land is cleared with a Excavator (Trac hoe) its the fastest and cleanest its pretty rare todo any handwork besides falling and bucking. Depending on the size of the job a EX-150 Hitachi can do most landclearing without tearing up parts of the land that doesn't get disturbed. A excavator can do the whole job from start to finish a rubber tired hoe might be brought in to cart finish around.

If you give a firm bid on a job you always get screwed no job is the same there is so many variables you could end up taking a big loss.

Hey Rob, For those small jobs , basically you have to figure your cost of moving in the equipment you will need. That would be the first cost you have to cover wether it be one tree or eleven. Then figure labour cost to drop each tree. If you come up against trees that have obsticals(sic) , you may have to contract a climber to take them down. Add everything up and add some for a cushion. One thing to consider is that you probably won't be able to use a skidder or fellerbuncher in someones back yard or even a pasture field. So you might have to a low impact method for removing logs and brush. I hope this helps.

Thanks Guys for the information,and Striker your right I probally won't be using any large equipment in backyards etc..I have a friend who is gonna be buying a Farmi tractor winch for his 2120 Ford 4x4 farm tractor so I could borrow that when I need it.Keep the info coming fellas I appreciate it.

Thanks Rob.

Latest posts

Back