BIG Log Splitter ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NORTREE

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anyone built a BIG splitter to split 4' or longer wood?I'm looking more to split crap wood logs so they can be chipped but thought this might be a good place to ask about big splitters...

Saw one in Troy Idaho mill turning out post and rail fences - the 2 and 3 rail types whee the rails insert into holes in the posts.

Quite an operation, two or three man crew (been awhile) not counting the guy on the yard machine moving the logs onto the input conveyor.

8' or more stroke on the splitter, a boring machine doing the holes, etc. Logs entered one end, finished posts and rails out the other in a steady stream with only minimal handling.

Doesn't take much of a splitter to do cedar though.

Harry K

Timberwolf and other commercial splitter manufacturers make long stroke splitters. They are similar to standard splitters except they are on steroids.
Timberwolf is about 20 minutes from me...I just don't have the extra 50 grand for the big splitter at the moment...I think I can build something so that I could split large diameter 4' blocks with so I could chip them.I have just found a market for the wood chips and my thought is to stock pile the bigger junk wood during the year then in the winter off season split and chip it for off season income.I spoke to a guy with a large tree company and he told me they generated $40,000. in wood chip sales in 2006 which covered his fuel bill for the year.He recently bought the big Timberwolf splitter and built 2 tandem chip trucks in the anticipation of increasing his chip sales.

Last edited:
Heres a link to the big Timberwolf http://www.timberwolfcorp.com/log_splitters/default.asp?id=15 It's an AWESOME radio controlled machine.What I'm thinking about building is using the old gas job cab and chassis from my bucket truck(we're remounting it) and building the splitter on the back.It would be powered by the trucks PTO and one person would operate it while a second person loaded the wood with the log loader.I have a large ram from an old dump body with a stroke of about 4'...

splitter

Who does he sell his chips to in order to make 40,000? Does he sell it to power companies or tubgrind it into mulch? Post some pics if you make that splitter on the truck. Seems like there is a high demand for splitting large chunks especially when they are brutal on tubgrinders. I want to build a giant splitter myself good luck.

A mill buys them,I just had to up my truck insurance to a million dollar coverage to haul into there(I needed to up it for other work also so the chip end is an extra),they burn them to create steam to heat and produce electricity for the mill.$22./ton at the moment.

Here's a link to one that I built-6 inch x42inch stroke
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=40899
That thing is AWESOME!!! And it just made me think of something....You must have quick connect hydraulics for the ram...I wonder if I built the splitter on the truck as I mentioned but added a control valve bank on my log loader with quick connects I might be able to set this up as a 1 man operation!As an example the log pile is on one side of the log truck,park the splitter on the other side and connect the lines and I could run the splitter from the loader....

Heres my loader truck, it's the old style control valves that I think I could ad to...
Loader.jpg

Grandpatractor you got me thinking...I dont need to add another control valve...As I recall Hood put a diverter valve on their loaders for the extend-a-boom...I could do the same,put in a diverter valve and then another valve(outrigger control valve) would control the splitter...does that make sense??

Yep...I'm thinking....Hmmnnn.....anyone else smell smoke??? If I powered it off the loader I wouldn't need the old truck in the yard to power it.I have a pair of mobile home axles I could use along with an old flatbed truck body I was going to cut up and an 8" x 10" beam.I could build it as a tow behind splitter and for $40. a year license it as a trailer and use it both here in Vermont and in NY rather than just a yard splitter in one state...If I did the diverter valve and ran the lines down and T'd them I could have quick connects on either side of the truck for the splitter...

Yep...I'm thinking....Hmmnnn.....anyone else smell smoke??? If I powered it off the loader I wouldn't need the old truck in the yard to power it.I have a pair of mobile home axles I could use along with an old flatbed truck body I was going to cut up and an 8" x 10" beam.I could build it as a tow behind splitter and for $40. a year license it as a trailer and use it both here in Vermont and in NY rather than just a yard splitter in one state...If I did the diverter valve and ran the lines down and T'd them I could have quick connects on either side of the truck for the splitter...

Nortree, the dirveter valve is all you need , other than the obvious fittings lines

Yep...I'm thinking....Hmmnnn.....anyone else smell smoke??? ...

Yeah, but not for the splitter! Burning Wood Chips? Better than pellets!

Anyone up for converting an OWB to an OWCB (Outdoor Wood Chip Burner) with a self feeding hopper WITH ME?

I mean $22ton? Only problem is you need a lot of chips to hit a ton!

And don't get any ideas, I just Patented the Idea! Just waiting for my cash to start rolling in :popcorn:

Well...I am waiting:popcorn:

Yup I'm pickin up what your putting down and I see no reason that wouldn't work. Saves a lot of money if you can use an existing hydraulic source.

That thing is AWESOME!!! And it just made me think of something....You must have quick connect hydraulics for the ram...I wonder if I built the splitter on the truck as I mentioned but added a control valve bank on my log loader with quick connects I might be able to set this up as a 1 man operation!As an example the log pile is on one side of the log truck,park the splitter on the other side and connect the lines and I could run the splitter from the loader....

You should see it in person.:dizzy: :clap: :clap:

Latest posts

Back