Big Oak Tree's that need to go

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Neighbors will stop beyotching about leaves when they are reminded of the benefits of trees. If the saw is not started, the decision is reversible.

If you have not found a competent arborist to give your mom her tree care options, you have not helped her with her trees.

HA you gotta be kiddin me MULCH the leaves they are good for the soil !!! If that was true why did someone make a dethatcher ???? IF you dought the tree's are tearing up the foundation of the house. What do you think they could be doing when the roots are still grtowing and the house is on top of them? Come wiht some sense or dont come at all !!! The tree's are coming down and that is the end of it. I asked for some advise on what to do wiht them ounce they are down and I think I got it. I will not be the one cutting them down !!! and I will be safe... This is not my first rodeo !!!!!

Thanks for the positive's and the negative's !!!!

remember that the wood is not good for burning for at least six months depending on where you live. Make sure you stack it in a few piles to let the air penetrate through the piles. Covering the wood will make it dry slower.

Everyone here deals with people removing trees for silly reasons so I believe that is why you are getting alot of gruff. Most Arborists will be negative toward the reasons you suggested. Leaves, etc...

Mulching is good for your lawn because of the organic material it will put into the lawn. Most of the thatch you build up in your lawn is from lawn clippings over time. It is good to de-thatch once a year or two to allow the layer to be broken up. Organics like leaves usually decompose quick enough over the year period to provide a decent amount of nutrients before people dethatch at the end of the year.

If you want them down I suggest at least getting two estimates unless you know someone personally. That way you cover your bases, make sure whoever you use has insurance and workers comp. This will keep your property safe in case of an accident on your property. It is usually cheaper to have the brush removed (the smaller stuff) then have the rest of the trees dropped and left where they fall. You can rent a gas powered splitter from most rental stores. Just be careful and follow the directions so you dont lose a finger.

Good luck to you and if you change your mind a good health and structural pruning, thinning will help keep the trees healthy and keep up the property value. Most people who remove trees plant a new one, maybe an ornamental that doesnt grow huge but beautifies the property to retain more value. Most shade trees will also help cool the house in the summer by shading the sun lower utiliity bills.

Thanks for the response. We have thought about this for over ten years and she recently has decided she will not be moving on to another house and would like to make this one the last one.

One of my biggest concerns is getting someone who is Insured and is willing to work a good deal to do this. I dont mind paying for skill and speed however I can and will assist in reducing the work that she has to pay for. The flip side of doing that is I could yield quite a bit of good firewood for next year. Thanks for the stacking tips. I think I may offer it to some people un-seasoned so I dont have to house soo much of it.

I already have a splitter I bought one from a pawn shop three weeks ago and all it needed was a new pump. I have split about one cord already with it and it works really good. It is the horizontal / vertical type so splittining the large sections may be easier than I think. One thought I came up with is to have the largest one taken down first and see how much work it is to process that one and make the call from there as to the timing on doing the others.

Thanks for the help.

Last time I took down a red oak 46" diameter I got almost two full cords. Took two days to split. Although I had to split and transport it to my house. With the diameter your looking at three maybe four cords when done. Just think that one cord is 4' 8' 4' so you need to consider the space needed when all is said and done.

One thought I came up with is to have the largest one taken down first and see how much work it is to process that one and make the call from there as to the timing on doing the others.

Keep in mind that the prices you were quoted were probably priced to take out all of the trees in one visit. It may cost you more to have a tree service take out just one tree at a time.

Yeah, I have struck a deal with them to stack the wood after they cut it and with this being doen they can take them all down at the same time and I can split it at my own pace.

Just out of curiosity... How much to take down the trees? Sounds like their doing more work stacking it it must be costing more.

HA you gotta be kiddin me MULCH the leaves they are good for the soil !!! If that was true why did someone make a dethatcher ???? IF you dought the tree's are tearing up the foundation of the house. What do you think they could be doing when the roots are still grtowing and the house is on top of them? Come wiht some sense or dont come at all !!!

Ignorance is bliss, but sadly all to common. But be careful anyway.

4800.00. Cut tree's down, haul off all debris, leave firewood, stack in back yard, rake entire yard, blow leaves off of roof and grind stumps.

Hey Ronny thats a good one !!! I would, but that end of the park is to crowded !!! Next time your extended family tell them to make room for us !!!!

Sorry for the crack but you walked right in to it...

Cheers !!! :clap:

4800.00. Cut tree's down, haul off all debris, leave firewood, stack in back yard, rake entire yard, blow leaves off of roof and grind stumps.

Thats cheap as dirt i might cut them down for that. we just did 2 pines for 1200.00 let alone 4 oaks with tthe stumps and stacking fire wood.

This just in new quote from another source 2800.00 same job. An old guy came by and said I charge 1400.00 per day and that job will take us two days. I told him put it in writing and 5 minutes later I told him you have the job when I have your proof of insurance in my hand. He took down my email addy and said you will have it at 0900 in the am. I said I will call you when I do and you can start then. Done Deal. He will have three climbers and three ground guys. The other guy was bringing 14 guys and boasted that he would rake the leaves out of the yard and leave it looking real nice, even after I explained to him I was going to clean the yard when they were done. Kind of a sentimental last celaning thing I wanted to do. For those of you who may not understand. When you live with dealing with these leaves for 25 years they get kind of old, not to mention the damage to the house that is being done. I will post some pics tomorrow. My mom took some today and there should be some available late tomorrow afternoon.

Pictures will be great. Especially evidence of the damage.

25 years of leaf removal in exchange for 25 years of shade, convection cooling, wildlife value, wind and glare and noise reduction...

Quite a deal!

$2800 to remove, compared to $4800, sounds like a good deal. But has anyone competent in pruning looked at the trees?

2800.00 is rediculusly cheap you better get a good backround on the company your dealing with insurance and everything make sure they dont have a horrible record. or you could wind up with a lot bigger problem like them chunking down 300 pound chunks of oak 40 feet in the air into your yard look like somone dropped a bomb thier. remember you get what you pay for. our company has had to fix alot of mistakes made by weekend tree cutting companies. if they dont have insurance or something or someone gets killed you might be shelling out alot more than 2800.00

Pictures will be great. Especially evidence of the damage.

25 years of leaf removal in exchange for 25 years of shade, convection cooling, wildlife value, wind and glare and noise reduction...

Quite a deal!

$2800 to remove, compared to $4800, sounds like a good deal. But has anyone competent in pruning looked at the trees?

pruning is what i would suggest trees like this are very i mean very valuable people pay big $$ for these trees and if you get them thinned or the crown reduced you could greatly reduce your hassle and the price your looking at and still have great trees.

I will post pics tomorrow. The guy has 30 years expreience and comes recomended. I think we have a much different thougth process down here baou these tree's and I will eave it at that. I am not saying anymore.

Latest posts

Back