Big Oak Tree's that need to go

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lets use a little common sense

pruning is what i would suggest trees like this are very i mean very valuable people pay big $$ for these trees and if you get them thinned or the crown reduced you could greatly reduce your hassle and the price your looking at and still have great trees.

U guys are all to worried about job security his mom has issues with trees and down there I don't blame here I have seen oak trees as he describes laying through the middle of houses limbs bigger than the trees most of you climb on a regular basis straight through the roof.

They don't have feeling get over it do you cry when you pull a weed out of your garden I doubt it so why are u upset about cutting a tree down they are both plants. A weed is a pain to you the trees are a pain to her.

Monk

Thank you Monk,

Pics are coming this weekend. Been to busy this week eto get them up and I have a lot of them to go through to pick the good ones out.

Thanks for your responses however the decision is already made that the tree's are coming down. My mom cathces enough grief from the neighbors about here leaves blowing in to their yard and she is ready for easier maintenance.

Thanks for your responses.

You probably should have stopped there. That was very diplomatic and gracious.

Also, I wouldn't post picks unless you're truly considering saving the trees. Some of the flak you're taking here is from people who have a totally different perspective than you do.

If these trees are pleasing to the eyes it's really going to get them hot under the collar. I liken it to those animal rights activists that curse the deer hunter who "kills one of God's Creatures". They want to save all the creatures with big beautiful brown eyes, shiny fur, and majestic racks...then they go home and swat flies or reset their mousetraps.

Some of the flak you're taking here is from people who have a totally different perspective than you do.

If these trees are pleasing to the eyes it's really going to get them hot under the collar. I liken it to those animal rights activists that curse the deer hunter who "kills one of God's Creatures". They want to save all the creatures with big beautiful brown eyes, shiny fur, and majestic racks...then they go home and swat flies or reset their mousetraps.

I bailed out of this thread when kipper told me to 'bring some sense on don't bring anything at all'. I think he and I disagree about the definition of sense.

But, comparing some of us to animal rights activists because we offered up some reasons for not cutting the trees got me going.

I'm not for saving the trees for the sake of the trees, rather I think they will be missed in South Carolina next summer when the temps are pushing 100 degrees and the humidity is 100%. Four trees that surround the house provide a lot of shade, making the house easier to cool and keeping utility bills reasonable.

But then I really don't care what Kipper does with them, that's his decision. The only reason for my original post was to make the point that raking leaves is not required, and that I doubt the roots are hurting the foundation. I'd have an engineer make an assessment on that, if it were me, and I'd mulch the leaves each fall if the foundation was OK. But that's just me.

At $1400 per day divided between 6 workers and a boss = 7 people at an 8 hour day comes to about $25.00 an hour per worker. Ridiculously cheap in my opinion. The other company showing up with 14 workers does not make much sense either. This whole thread is a derailment. :deadhorse: But the idea of removing trees because they make leaves is also ridiculous from the start.

Last edited:
At $1400 per day divided between 6 workers and a boss = 7 people at an 8 hour day comes to about $16.00 an hour per worker. Ridiculously cheap in my opinion. The other company showing up with 14 workers does not make much sense either. This whole thread is a derailment. :deadhorse: But the idea of removing trees because they make leaves is also ridiculous from the start.

Heck 1400 a tree...i still think might be a little on the low side per tree in my area.

I don't reading if the trees could be felled or had to be rigged or craned out...that would be a big difference in time = money.

I dont no who you are getting insured let alone licensed anything else..

Canyon

JMO

there your trees, but they are mature trees and leaves shouldn't be a good enough reason to cut trees like that, these days saving healthy trees plays a positive in role global warming. how close are they to the house, pics would help. tree roots usually will try to go around the foundation not through it. you could always have it pruned.
Check out this link

http://www.treesaregood.org/funfacts/Environment.aspx

Last edited:
there your trees, but they are mature trees and leaves shouldn't be a good enough reason to cut trees like that, these days saving healthy trees plays a positive in role global warming. how close are they to the house, pics would help. tree roots usually will try to go around the foundation not through it. you could always have it pruned.
Check out this link

http://www.treesaregood.org/funfacts/Environment.aspx

I agree.

Watch/Read The Loax, by doctor Sues.

The trees where her all much longer than all of us.

Evan629, i suggested pruning the roots if they truly are affecting the foundation, and never got a answer from anyone.

At $1400 per day divided between 6 workers and a boss = 7 people at an 8 hour day comes to about $16.00 an hour per worker. .
Hey Dada, I want you to come work for me, if you do that kind of math on your bill!

1400/56 = $25/hour.

root pruning would help, we need pics to fully understand the conflict between the tree and the house, if you cut it you will wish the tree was there on a 95 degree day.

Thanks treeseer I am glad someone else did the math the right way.

Oh and by them way I drive a diesel and I blow smoke on all of the Hybrids I pass !!!! :dizzy:

Hey Dada, I want you to come work for me, if you do that kind of math on your bill!

1400/56 = $25/hour.

oooppps, that's what I get for trying to add in my head, instead of a computer:eek: still a lowball price, I try to get at least $75.00 per hour grinding stumps and higher for treework.

I'm brand new here

DId the trees come down?

I'm 25 and bought a house 2 1/2" years ago (1/4 acre lot) with a big (40" dia) silver maple on it.

Little did I know, the tree was just about dead.

I was sad as hell to lose 90% of my shade, and the tree. even sadder that it cost money to get rid of it.

I wish I could get it back. I did plant 2 maples and a bluew spruce, but I'll probably be moved on by the time they produce any decent shade.

I do have a large black locust in the back yard that was split at the crotch... Had a tree service come out and spent 1000 bucks bolting /cabling it to save it.

If I were you, I'd think a lil longer / harder about whats goiing on

I know you've made up your mind. But like others have said, the value of the shade is huge!!! I have one decent size tree in my back yard, it only gives me shade at the end of the day. I wish it was on the other side of the yard, the sun hits my house on the back all day, and it get's so hot upstairs, it sucks. I hate the mess the tree gives me(needles everywhere) and they are harder to clean then leaves, they also clog up my gutters, but I love the shade more. I ve had a few decent sized branches come off the tree, almost took out the stairs on my deck. I just pray that it doesn't ever have to come down.

Oh, and the fact that the neighbours give your mom heck about the leavs blowing into their yard. I would just tell them to deal with it. Pretty dumb think to complain about. And if they don't like it maybe they should not live here on this planet earth. Or maybe they could just move to the Sahara or somewhere similar, where there are no trees. My neighbour has a nice big maple, at least I think it is, it has red leaves. And every year I clean up the leaves that fall to my property, and I don't complain about it.

Anyway, enough said.

Good luck.

1st Post here and see everyone else has already given you opinions. We paid big bucks to get the Ancient oaks that surround our house. I noticed the BX23, and from My perspective it is all about the tractor. You see, I saw this site refered to on tractorbynet.com. I bought a used TracVac pto attached vac for my JDeere 2210, and it is awesome. If the lawn needs to be mowed anyhow it is not much extra to Vac the leaves when you have monster tools to get the job done.

jesus ####in christ let the poor guy take down the damn trees already, maybe even let him have the stumps ground as well. as to his question: any salvagable logs should go to the mill, even oak pallet logs are going to be worth more money than firewood. if hardware is a concern just cut the logs above the fence(like 5 feet off the ground maybe) and before you shorten them look at the stump / butt of the log for black spots, they would indicate that there is metal in the tree, if you have a metal detector use that. how much are you paying to get them on the ground?

i'm not putting hours on my tractor to run a splitter.

You will probably not get a mill to take the logs, as stated above.

Rent a PTO splitter to run off your Kubota.

There will be a lot of volume, if they are close together, you may want to have the trees taken down one or two at a time. Especially if you are taking small wood.

Check out the Chainsaw Buddy, Bailey's has it for the cheapest, theoufh you can get it special order from Northern.

you can rent a good sized stand alone splitter.

I have a good 5 foot Burr Oak about 4 foot away from my foundation. This house has been in my wife family for 3 generations. It has a 8 inch root through the old thick brick foundation that was cut off before we move in. I guess whoever planted it didn't know these trees get large when grown.
Anyway, we wasn't having any trouble with the leaves with this tree. I just
mulched them as they fell. What was a pain was the acorns, about every other year or so it dropped millions of these things. So, cleaning the gutters became an issue until I got some covers for the gutters. That old tree will either come down on it's own or be here after I'm gone. Wonderful shade.
As for the question about the logs and how to whittle them down to working size, I'd recommend buying some ripping chain and like what was said before,
quarter or eighth them into workable size. Alot of wood in those big oak logs.
Thats what I would do!! Bob

jesus ####in christ let the poor guy take down the damn trees already, maybe even let him have the stumps ground as well. as to his question: any salvagable logs should go to the mill, even oak pallet logs are going to be worth more money than firewood. if hardware is a concern just cut the logs above the fence(like 5 feet off the ground maybe) and before you shorten them look at the stump / butt of the log for black spots, they would indicate that there is metal in the tree, if you have a metal detector use that. how much are you paying to get them on the ground?

You say your from NE? Name ONE mill that is taking Oak right now AND paying a decent rate for them? Most mills wont even take an Oak log right now, nevermind give you money for one.

And its called blue stain, not black spot. its blue not black.

MAXFLI, Thats funny about the TRAC_VAc I have one that i have used about ten times. What a piece of junk !!!!

Everyone else,

I am still sorting through the pics to get the best one's. Been kind of busy with christmas and all. Will have some up by the weekend.

Back