big old free poulan

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big_Mike

Reaction score
came across a free poulan saw and i have to say its the biggest ive ever personally seen. (live in owensboro ky)
its a model 43 poulan serial #211694

i thought that since it was free id try to keep it but...
it will only start and run when you pour fuel into the cylinder.
ive never been around a carb like this and would like to know:
does it have a float and bowl? or is it a different design.
and were else to look for starting problems.

it sparks good has !@#$load of compression new gas and the fuel line seems clear. any info on this old saw would be appreciated it seems worth keeping and is in very good shape if only i can get it running

Last edited:
The RK88HL has become the master rebuild kit for most of those hl tillotsons, and is not hard to get. Also being a points style ignition it is very likley just a matter of cleaning and setting the points. This saw was offered in .404 and 3/8 sprocket sizes. If it is one of these then chains will not be hard to come by either. Many sprocket tip bars can be made to fit with a little dremmel work, and will get you the most out of the saw. Once it is fixed up it wont be as fast as a current 68cc saw but will likley pull a longer bar and exhibit noticeably more torque. Have fun with it.:cheers:

Last edited:
model 43

thanks a million guys i didnt know where to turn now i have to balance the time between the saw and beefin up my thunderbird sc

runs good now

thanks guys
Being from kentucky and all i dont see saws this big so in my opinion this things a beast loud as all hell and it starts on first pull most of the time
i took out the mix screws and filled it up with carb cleaner. Let it sit for two days... cleaned the tank, fresh bar oil, new plug, set the points, and gave it a bath. still a few gremlins to find but quite a score for free!

Latest posts

Back