Big Piles of Firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have seen some piles like this around. Some of my competitors make big high piles like this. Guess what? it may look cool but all that wood under the top 3 or 4 feet is wet and doesn't dry. It is one of the worst ways you can keep your firewood prior to sale. Then they will tell you they rotate it and mix it up to dry evenly and all they really do is get the wood full of dirt.

I have seen some piles like this around. Some of my competitors make big high piles like this. Guess what? it may look cool but all that wood under the top 3 or 4 feet is wet and doesn't dry. It is one of the worst ways you can keep your firewood prior to sale. Then they will tell you they rotate it and mix it up to dry evenly and all they really do is get the wood full of dirt.
Very true. I've noticed this also with just unsplit rounds in a typical 6' stack. The top 3' always dries OK and the bottom 3' is always slower. Elm bark will always loosen up faster on the top half and fall off while you split and it will usually split cleanly. The rounds on the bottom half are stringy when you split them and the bark hangs on. The ends also check up faster on the top half.

Seems super dangerous to have stacks that high. A pile of wood 25ft tall is dangerous enough, but vertical stacks?

Seems like a real risk for it to topple over or blow out in the middle and kill someone.
Never mind that they've got guys lugging wood up a ladder? to stack like that!

Seems odd to me that there isn't any bark, twigs, or even sawdust on the dirt.

Seems super dangerous to have stacks that high. A pile of wood 25ft tall is dangerous enough, but vertical stacks?

Seems like a real risk for it to topple over or blow out in the middle and kill someone.

It could be that lots of this firewood has not sold because of all the forest fires in CA. He may want to consider shipping some of that to Alaska.

especially in the "shaky quaky land of call-it- four-nia" ......

Would this being Los Angeles help with the wood at the bottom of the pile? I know if this was in my neck of the woods I would have a mushroom farm.

Do they need all that firewood in Los Angeles? I don't remember the weather there ever being very conductive to turning on a stove or firing up the fireplace.

In 1986 met Mr Tetter at the Fort Tejon Ranch where as for more than two miles of roadway was a stack of Oak cut split and some what stacked for 40 feet wide about 10 feet high. That year he had 50 folks working full time cutting splitting and hauling. I had the privilege of hauling and working with him for several years. That first year with him we moved 9,000 cords. The before mentioned folks are wonderful people and have done business with them, but they are and were only a drop in the bucket in comparison. Worked with a company just out side of Phoenix who actually trained the crew for Mr. Tetter and also produced several 1,000's of cords of Pine. Those were the days. Then there is me with my piles which would take up a whole 1/4 of an acre. Thanks

How the heck can you sell 9000 cords to a place that doesn't even get cold?

Actually it is pretty easy. One cord at a time. Out of 20 million folks how many of them might enjoy hanging out by their fire places. To make your point worse was I hauled to many folks in the summer time. They enjoyed out door BBQs. During the winter we get similar weather as in Alaska. Not very often, but 20 below in the mountains where I live. Some of my biggest customers were in San Diego where it reaches 40 degrees on a cool evening. Once in a while it freezes there and every one goes nuts. Some cool winters when Palm Springs gets a little snow you can walk around with a wheelbarrow and sell wood 2 or 3 pieces at a time for $5 each. Stay warm. BTW this year it has not gotten even cool. Thanks

Back