Big Shot Throw line

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RacerX

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Of the guys out there using a big shot what it your favorite throw line? I've been messing around with Fling-it, Zing-it and Neon 3 and can't decide which I prefer. Looking for some other opinions or other line options.

hey racer i have a big shot and use it often ,if i can get a line in the tree to insure the notch and drop quick removal without climbin it and there is space to do so the big shot has saved me tons of time and risk . i use the zing it brand ,have both diameters use the thinner to haul my climbing line ,use the thicker for bull rope ,and have even used the zing it to pull smaller trees down .that stuff is pretty strong .i havnt used any other brand but i imagine they are all pretty equal in quality good luck jk

I have Zing-it, Fling-it and some old slick line. I use all three of them (usually when I get one or, God forbid, two of them stuck). I prefer to use my newest line though, as it has the best coating. I think it's the Fling-it...Whichever one is the orange one. They all work fine but as they get older the slick coating starts to wear off. That's why I prefer my newest one.

Re: Throw Line

Hi, Like tree md, I have several, fling its and zing its. The different colors are very nice if you are using 2 lines to isolate. I also agree the newest lines seem to run easier and less so as the coating wears off. Which, fling it, zing it depends on the specific conditions. If the shot is easy cheap and simple and little wind I use whatever comes out of the bag first. If the shot is long and through a small hole in the branches I use the 1.75mmd zing it, it seems to be a bit more supple and seems not to be as effected by cold. The fling it seems to get a little stiff in the cold. If I am hoping to pull out a broken off dead branch, I use the heavier 2.2mm fling it, it seems a bit easier to hold on to with leather gloves.
I would have to say that having an assortment of different lines and throw weights makes setting lines much easier. I consider 2 lines and 2 weights an absolute minimum. One of each color is easier to keep them identified. The "Oh Jeeze, I pulled out the wrong line (out of the tree)." is not what I like to hear on a job.
I would say, that, in my opinion, the differences between fling it and zing it of the same diameter are not too great, a bit of difference but not a lot.
The Dyna Glide throw line must be the best. I bought a 150 foot hank of it, but before I could try it I loaned it to a buddy and he never returned it. So it must be really good stuff.
The stuff called Slick Line is a core and an outside sheath. It is inexpensive but very bad for shooting and pulling in lines. It has a real memory problem and the core and sheath move relative to each other.
I have a Big Shot so most of my comments are what I have found using a Big Shot. If I am hand throwing any distance, I use the light 1.75mm zing it.
I hope this helps.
eljefe

I like the small diameter Zing It with a 8 or 10oz bag I'll go up to a heavier bag if need be.

I like the small diameter Zing It with a 8 or 10oz bag I'll go up to a heavier bag if need be.

I would agree with Flushcut. The smaller (1.75) Zing-It and a 10 OZ bag have always worked well for me, unless it is a tree with really course bark, then I might up to a 12 OZ bag.

Of the guys out there using a big shot what it your favorite throw line? I've been messing around with Fling-it, Zing-it and Neon 3 and can't decide which I prefer. Looking for some other opinions or other line options.

I would just keep trying everything on the market until you find what works best for you.. it could take an entire lifetime, but once you find that perfect big shot throwline, you will have arrived..

I seen some line at walmart in the fishing section i think its for trotlines. It comes in green or orange, is it the same line?

I seen some line at walmart in the fishing section i think its for trotlines. It comes in green or orange, is it the same line?

I don't think so. Dyna Glide has a breaking strength of 1000#'s, a diameter of 1.8mm and costs $39 for 200'. How does that compare to the stuff as Walmart?

I have all the different brands as well, I prefer my old slick line, although its not as nice and new as the others, something with the weight and the 12oz bag, I always have the best luck with it. Love the big shot, my climbers are always trying to impress me with their different throwing techniques, I start getting mad after a couple misses, its as if they are scared of the BigShot? Me, I love it. Plus it can shot a rock across the Mississippi river! Always fun, water balloons dont work so well!

Latest posts

Back