Big Stihl Saw price justification

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Why does an ms880 cost $2k and a more sophisticated ms462 cost $1k ?
What justifies the doubling of numbers?

Can lesser production volume really run costs up that much or is Stihl just gouging the marketplace?

More actual physical Materials?
Manufacturing requirements for more cubes?
The percentages don’t match up.
I can’t make sense of it.

Opinions ?

Smaller production runs. Lower volume sales on a non perishable item with little competition. If you need a big Saw not a lot of options out there although the 3120 can be had for substantially cheaper. The high volume stihl shop near me has had the same ms880 on display for over a year now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Its volume for sure. Which is less because their use is much more specific than something like a 462. Anything that's more of a specialty or niche market will be more expensive. Same reason people who work very specialized jobs get paid more.

I've heard that the 880's are hand built and not assembly line built since they're so low volume it doesn't make sense to build a line for them.

Anyone know if that's true? If so, that's going to run up costs fairly significantly.

I've heard that the 880's are hand built and not assembly line built since they're so low volume it doesn't make sense to build a line for them.

Anyone know if that's true? If so, that's going to run up costs fairly significantly.
If that’s true... now we’re getting somewhere. Would go a long way to understand sales price.
Thx!

All of this is really pure speculation at best. The saws in Germany are all hand assembled. The saw factory in Germany is also really old school, nothing like they have in VB, which is state of the art. The 880 is made in small production runs just like the 3120. It's a big saw that has STIHL on the side, so it commands a premium. Let's not forget the 880 is a total dog out of the box too, so bad the will easily get out run by the 661 or 395 even in big wood. The 880 is a choked up old mess of a saw IMHO, the 084 was a much better running, should have kept the one I had. After porting a good carb and coil the 880 will run pretty well, but that's more $$ on top.

The tooling is a couple decades old now it's well payed for.
I don't mind proportionate price increases.... The 880 $ seems more than proportionate.

The price is based on how many units they need to produce and sell over the long term to make a profit. Their original price was built into the profit they wanted to produce even long after the tooling was paid for. They're not running a charity and producing saws for free once their tooling is paid for.
A higher volume saw is going to decrease the cost of manufacture and the units to produce and sell changes the price point relative to the profit margin.

The answer is pretty simple though...can you get an equivalent saw for cheaper? If Yes then by buying Stihl you're paying for the name, brand loyalty, etc. etc. If the cheaper saw isn't equivalent in all aspects of machine life expectancy and quality, then that's where the extra money goes when buying the Stihl. Are people still buying a ms880 at their current price point and is Stihl happy with their profit margin? Then, they're not going to say hey, lets sell the saw cheaper and lose more money. It wont be until the units sold : profit margins decrease where they re-evaluate the price. And if another company is selling an all things equal equivalent saw for cheaper, then perhaps they're undercutting the market and aren't making the profit margin that Stihl is on the same saw. At that point Stihl does less work and makes more money. Eventually it should catch up to them and they'll have to reduce price, or the other saw will be able to demand Stihl pricing...over inflated or not. Or they hold enough market share that their current pricing works for them.

I'd imagine a lot of the ms880 sales are going on behind the scenes to contractors, etc "I'll take 5 of those" kind of sales rather than walk in and buy 1 off the shelf kind of sale. The ms880 is just on the shelf for curb appeal.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter that the 462 is half the price yet is more than half the saw. That saw price is priced separately based on the amount of units they'll produce and sell. The 880 has it's own pricing function for units produced and sold.

Some Stihl bean counter is in the back office somewhere crunching numbers all day figuring where they can set price points on units produced : sold in order to maximize profit. None of which has anything to do with what it's actually worth, but what are people willing to pay and what is our bottom line.

Agree. You are only going to buy that behemoth if you absolutely need it. And if you need it, you have the $$ to pay for it.

Good answer SVK. It's a case of what it DOES, not what it IS. Every saw is nothing more than a collection of a few dollars worth of metal and a few cents worth of plastic. It's the ARRANGEMENT/SHAPE/FUNCTION of those materials that gives the thing its value.

Volume....its all about sales unit volume. The 462 makes Stihl money, the 880 may well cost them money but the model is important so consumers don't go elsewhere. If the sales were high on the 880 we would have seen upgraded new models released. The only reason the 880 is on the shelf taking up valuable shelf space is its part of the complete business model Stihl has which means they offer every saw in each class. To be no:1 you have to do these things.

Run a 880 and you might get an idea of why it is so expensive. It is also built larger, not only to accommodate the larger engine, but to give it overall strength. It is a large, massive and powerful saw and the price reflects this.

Run a 880 and you might get an idea of why it is so expensive. It is also built larger, not only to accommodate the larger engine, but to give it overall strength. It is a large, massive and powerful saw and the price reflects this.
Yeah, I have run one (088 anyway). Big lug of a saw just like my milling saw.
I own a 3120 and it's still running great for now and $600 less for entry which is a over 30% $ difference.
Have been interested in the 3120's Stihl counterpart recently as service for the 3120 is thin around here and I have a great Stihl shop 5mins away.
My last 3120 service was 3 hours of driving back and fourth and being without the saw for 2 weeks (for just a carb re-build).
I know, I know.... I could learn to do it myself but don't have time or intention at this stage of life (maybe when life is slower).

Simply put... The Stihl name comes at a premium. (and with it locally theService network).
Thanks all for replies... You all are likely correct.
I'll take Andyshine77's words at face value. As a non-tinkerer myself ....If the 880 is a dog out of the box... the price may just be mute anyway.

Latest posts

Back