Big sycamore anyone?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigblue12v

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Got this given to me, they already dropped and limbed it a year ago, strategically placed in this frickin ditch. Not all the way in the ditch so not sitting in water. It's all good wood but been a b!+@# to get out lol. 40" across at the stump, 30" across at halfway. Each section about 15' long. My calculator said 8500# roughly, real close to 3 cords. Got the big half out yesterday but didn't have much saw fuel, the goal was just to get it out of the ditch for now. Its only a mile down the road from me. Big frickin pain in the rear lol
3f197c85db1f8a45263fe54a9f228781.jpg
521cb55e8e8e65156c09a62589cf250c.jpg
124cacabb706d13fe6fd99f818c68449.jpg
5561b82396d2844106f78cd87594a2b8.jpg
a359cc4aa3754fe61ad8b0732dccbf1d.jpg

Wow. Let us know how it splits. I have been told to split right after its cut down but never given the reason why.
Nice job by the way. Not everything is easy.

Wow. Let us know how it splits. I have been told to split right after its cut down but never given the reason why.
Nice job by the way. Not everything is easy.
Thanks, I have a few piles going right now, small pile of small logs, pile of rounds, and pile of split. I am pretty positive I'll have a good bit to sell so I need to start separating my piles a bit according to type. My OWB doesn't care much what I burn in it but obviously people buying wood want good stuff.

Sycamore is the only wood I tell tree guys I don't want it even if it is free and dropped off..
Sycamore is also the only wood that won't burn in my OWB when it's green...

(Now I'm gonna get flamed for trying to burn green wood.......fire away..)

Sycamore is the only wood I tell tree guys I don't want it even if it is free and dropped off..
Sycamore is also the only wood that won't burn in my OWB when it's green...

(Now I'm gonna get flamed for trying to burn green wood.......fire away..)
Gee what did I get into lol well it can season for now and we'll see lol probably be January before I use it. How is it for campfires?

Gee what did I get into lol well it can season for now and we'll see lol probably be January before I use it. How is it for campfires?
A coworker had 3 half the size of that one taken down and he gave me all the big stuff. I heated for most of the winter with it 2 years ago. I can't recollect any negatives from burning it.
I'd use it as long as it's seasoned.

I burn it when one dies by the creek and I pull it out. Haven't done any big ones and the small ones will fit without splitting, so directly in the stacks. I am species agnostic for the most part. Separate out the grade A and B and mix stack everything else. Supposedly the sawdust can cause irritation, but I haven't experienced that, maybe when it is green it is worse? I've only cut standing dead ones and big fallen branches.

More like Suckamore. I have a short one in my yard that's coming down soon. It's going to be winter burn pile wood.

That is a huge Sycamore. I had a neighbor take down three (not near as large as that) that yielded about two cords. It does dry out quicker than other hardwoods, but it also makes a lot of ash and is a pain to split (even with our 27-ton splitter). It would be best to use for campfires if at all...since splitting those two cords, I can say I would pass on any future sycamore. That log may be better to make into boards; it makes sturdy boards or furniture.

Looks like good mill size logs. Idk how good the material is though...
The material looks pretty good, I cut and noodled a few rounds and it all looked pretty good to me. Maybe I should call a mill or two and see what they say.

Hope it doesn't have metal in it is all. I can't really tell if it's a yard tree or if it was a field tree. A field tree could have wire and nails in it and are worse than yard trees... I'd love to come across a log like that and make some slabs out of it. I have a coworker that have every imaginable wood working tool and he would probably let me use them to make flooring.

Latest posts

Back