Big Tillotson Carb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gypo Logger

Timber Baron
Reaction score
Here's a couple of pictures of the HT carb that fits on the 084's and 999's etc. Does anyone have any experience drilling these carbs out to get more fuel thru the circuit?
And how does this carb compare to the equivalent Walbro carb?
Thanks in advance.
John

TC1.jpg

TC.jpg

Hey John, how goes it? I don't have any experience with drilling them out, but I thought I heard eric mention the HS series was the more desirable one...

Is that off the oleo-mac?

Ya, it's off a 999 I bought off Mr., a deal I was very happy with. The carb pictured has a governor, but after removing it, it looks like it was defeated at the Olympic factory. I believe the HS is off the 090 etc.
Regardless, this baby has an 1" & 1/8th opening! Wonder if it will fit on my 066? :rock:
john

what's the governor look like? I picked up a basket case 999, but really haven't looked at it much because it needs a lot of parts. You had already grabbed that one from fred before I got wind of it. LOL.

I've got a couple HT's from my 084's, but they all have the plastic fuel elbows. i like the looks of the metal ones better.

Later
-Steve

John

I take it that the "H" needs a lot of CCW to fatten it up,no?

No experience with that carb, but have used welding tip cleaners to open jets, another processes that comes under the heading " the fastest way to do this is slowly" ,, iwo , just creep up on what your doing, may take a few times removing and reinstalling it, but will work every time.

Kevin

When I used to mess with carbs, I had a set of number drills, ranging from 0.008" to 0.060" by 0.002" increments that we would use to open up the jets.

Andy

View attachment 40717

John, at least you are not the sack that the dumb hammers are in....

HAHAHA

My 084 carbs are both HT's, but thought I read or heard someone talking about the HS on them....Maybe the 088/880's?

Anywho, does anyone know what the differences are between the HS and HT?

john, do you have a pic of that governor on this carb, or is it there in plain site and i'm not seeing it?

-Steve

Gypo Logger said:
Oh, I see, trying to make me look like I'm dumber than a sack of hammers in front of the fellas.:jester:
John

How many 090's have you sold?.....Hahahahhahaha! You should know what carb is on the 090. That HT is on the 084, 088.....even a "OLD" dumb Logger should know that!.....AHHHHHHHHHHHHHa!:popcorn:

Freakingstang said:
My 084 carbs are both HT's, but thought I read or heard someone talking about the HS on them....Maybe the 088/880's?

Anywho, does anyone know what the differences are between the HS and HT?

-Steve

The HT is the larger series... I love that carb!

Edit for clarification: The 084/088/880 have the HT. The HS is used on the likes of an 041 etc..

Last edited:
ShoerFast said:
John

I take it that the "H" needs a lot of CCW to fatten it up,no?

No experience with that carb, but have used welding tip cleaners to open jets, another processes that comes under the heading " the fastest way to do this is slowly" ,, iwo , just creep up on what your doing, may take a few times removing and reinstalling it, but will work every time.

Kevin
Thanks Kevin, I'll give that a try.
Andy, I have also heard the same, opening it up only in small increments.

Steve, I'll take a pic of the gov tonight and post it. The orifice in the plug has been sealed by a red locktite material and there is a metal disc where the plug is seated.

Dennis, are you some sort of a cull? Lakeside says the HT is the larger card, but you're telling me the HL goes on the 090. Wouldn't the 090 have a bigger carb than the 084?

John

the HT is larger than the HS, the HL a big monster.. but there is still bigger.. the HR :)

I am working on getting a line up of the REAL big ones

Will have pics of HDs HRMs and HLs later this week and post

HR 73 A I am setting up

This is prebath pics
did initial inspection only
complete teardown soon

The HDs I am talking about are not the same series I'll dig for some

PEST said:
OK ...........need help getting the pics up direct do I need to link them to a file server site to go direct?

Just put IMG tags around the URL of the uploaded pic. [ I M G] at the beginning, and [ / I M G ] at the end - no space though - I just pig them in so I could display the tags here!

Also, resize your images... to say 640x480 or whatever... before uploading.

Just hit the "quote" button to see what I did.

attachment.php

Here's the gov on the HT. Some of the HT's were left and right specific with regards to the H & L adj screws. Meaning Stihl put them on the right side, ie 084, but other saw manufacturers put them on the left where they belong! Lol.
If it was just a simple matter of flipping the carb upside down, one could swap and mix and match.

Anyway it looks like this gov was defeated by the factory.
John

TC2.jpg

Latest posts

Back