Big Tillotson Carb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dennis Cahoon said:
Gypo....Phone John at the shop, he has taken over from EC.
Oh! I see!

And all this time you were holding out and not telling me about Birt!

All this time???

You must of thought I was a cull or something!!:buttkick:

Eric

Gypo Logger said:
Dennis, are you some sort of a cull? Lakeside says the HT is the larger card, but you're telling me the HL goes on the 090. Wouldn't the 090 have a bigger carb than the 084?

John

Hey Cull....The HT bore diameter is slighty bigger than the HL.....making it a smaller carb on the 090.....:monkey: Hahahahahahaha!

For lower top speed

For lower top speed and more torque bump down low

If I am not mistaken that Walbro HT is the Japanese walbro
different casting techniques and much smoother finish

Last edited:
Dennis Cahoon said:
Hey Cull....The HT bore diameter is slighty bigger than the HL.....making it a smaller carb on the 090.....:monkey: Hahahahahahaha!

How does a stunt midget come up with all this good info?
Hahaha

Anyway, Jon answered my question over on his forum, so will let you know how I make out drilling my first carb.
John

Gypo Logger said:
How does a stunt midget come up with all this good info?
Hahaha

Anyway, Jon answered my question over on his forum, so will let you know how I make out drilling my first carb.
John

I had my first dealings with EC years ago, then started dealing with Jon when he took over. In fact....this summer I had him drill a Burris Mikuni for alkie, for my 101B mac.

Good stuff Dennis,
Thanks for sharing and helping me with my first carb and KD as well.

Needless to say, I'm horny as hell to start drilling this carb. I'll see if I can invite Jon over to give us a few pointers.

It's not brain surgery I'm sure.

John

carb.jpg

Now, if I've got this right and I was listening correctly, I'm gonna drill in the high speed where the needle seats to ten thou over, however, I will ruminate on it before I ruin my first carb.:rock:
John

carb1.jpg

carb2.jpg

Last edited:
On that old carb... sounds about right. On a more modern carb, you'd just unscrew the main jet and ream that (or buy a bunch of them at different sizes).

Your needle is doing most of the final restriction, so even if you get it too big, all you'll have is a problem with sensitivity -i.e. tiny adjustments at "all the way in" will make a big difference.

So.. the aim is to make it "factory" - one turn out on both H&L for close-to-correct Tune :biggrinbounce2:

Gypo Logger said:
Here's the gov on the HT. Some of the HT's were left and right specific with regards to the H & L adj screws. Meaning Stihl put them on the right side, ie 084, but other saw manufacturers put them on the left where they belong! Lol.
If it was just a simple matter of flipping the carb upside down, one could swap and mix and match.

Anyway it looks like this gov was defeated by the factory.
John

TC2.jpg

Hey John...how was that gov defeated?....it looks like there is a red substance on the tip of the gov?

Sierraazul said:
Hey John...how was that gov defeated?....it looks like there is a red substance on the tip of the gov?
I think it's some type of locktite.

There are four holes under the welch plug and I drilled all but one 2 thou. over.
I"ll see how it works as soon as I can.
John

carb4.jpg

carb3.jpg

Thanks for adding some well written tech to the forum! A nice change of pace from the mind numbing "which saw should I buy" threads.

Thanks Four Paws, It's fun for me too.

Anyway, I think the neighbours believe I'm a few fries short of a Happy Meal, because I just cranked it up in the dark and it purrs like a ????? cat, but will make final adjustments during daylight hrs.
Ken and Dennis really helped me out here with the carb and Dave Neiger really built me a fine saw.:rock:
John

999.jpg

9992.jpg

Thanks Four Paws, It's fun for me too.

Anyway, I think the neighbours believe I'm a few fries short of a Happy Meal, because I just cranked it up in the dark and it purrs like a ????? cat, but will make final adjustments during daylight hrs.
Ken and Dennis really helped me out here with the carb and Dave Neiger really built me a fine saw.
John

John what is the displacement of that saw I see it is an Oleo-Mac 999 and it does look like a huskie only nicer but i guess Im showin My ignorance, just never have seen one like it and what would it cost????

the displacment of the 999 and 999F are about 101CC. Made by Efco in Italy. There was a sister company called olympyk that were the same saw but red. They are very heavy and built like brick **** houses.

I don't know what the costs of the 999's were when new, but I'm sure it was up there.

I'm sure John will have more to add, as he has owned his for a long time. It is Famous on AS. Do a search when you have some time. Big Dave made her scream after many builders tried.

Hey Gypo why dont you just add a set of these. By the way they are NOS tilly HL 227 A

Back