Big Trees need big tools....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
outofmytree looks like a good job! nice outfit! I would recommend some crane slings instead of using chain. I have some questions about your equipment.

What kinda boom is that on the bucket truck? We don't get to see that type of boom mounted on a truck out here. Looks something like a spiderlift type.

Your chip truck. Is that a GMC cab over? Who made that chip body and what size?

Last edited:
Nice work, I would be sweating over those pavers also. Not sure about the chain on the crane work also some risk of getting unhooked in my opinion.
Thanks for posting. :)

Awesome pics. I never worked under a crane. I looked at some jobs that I could have used one. Had a spruce that got hit w/ lightning but they could not reach it with all the wires. I really would like to cut under a crane before I die. It seems like a real rush to have a chunk like that picked up from your face.

Thanks for the feedback folks.

LM the tree was too unstable to climb hence the bucket. In Australia you must have a riggers ticket to set chains when climbing and that's still on my things-to-do list. Had the tree been stable/safe enough to climb I would have taken a week off, got my riggers ticket and climbed to set chains as the bucket cost 3k. Instead it was all factored in to the quote.

I was on the ground for the entire job, the bucket operator was the saw hand for all aerial cuts.

Interesting thoughts on chains. It depends on the rigger it seems. This time around all lifts were done on slings with a couple of funky pieces having a third chain wrapped on. The hooks on the chain ends are a 2 way gate and whereas it is possible to unlock any locking hook with the right combination of forces these guys worked as a good team. Each piece was cut into the chains so carefully I often had to guess exactly when the piece broke off. Like I said before, on this sort of job it's the combined skills of all the team that count and these guys did an outstanding job. I made a point of calling the owners of the hire companies to praise their employees. Doesn't seem to change the price :confused: but it does get me a happy crew.

The truck is a Hino Dutro 8500 2006 model. The body is custom made with double size tool box and lift off roof. Holds 19 cubic metres of mulch or legally 4.2 tonnes. I have "occasionally" had a little more weight in there....

Oh look. A yellow truck! I wonder what this guy does for a living....

attachment.php
[/QUOTE]

Around here, Jim's franchise is only for lawn mowing and garden maintenance and their trailers are green.

Same face picture though.

Very cool pics my tree mate buddy :cheers:. When I grow up I'm gonna get one, you'll see.
It may take an inheritance but one day I'll get one.

Jims a franchise?

Around here, Jim's franchise is only for lawn mowing and garden maintenance and their trailers are green.

nice rig that guy has a station wagon:monkey: tom trees:cheers:

I was going to say the pic on the truck looked familiar. Is the name Jims a franchise? There is a Jims around here, actually it seems there is a Jims everywhere. I thought it was just coincidence and the same basic logo book.

Real nice work though and yeah, we opened up some driveways before too. One time the outrigger just touched the blacktop and a big hole opened to a sink hole which was made by an underground spring.

Jim Penman is the guy with a beard on the truck. He started off mowing lawns in 1986 in Melbourne and through a good grasp of customer relations developed what has become the largest home care franchise in Australia. I know there are lawn mowing Jims in NZ,Canada and the US so I guess that is what you guys have seen. The colour denotes the type of franchise so green for mowing, yellow for trees, black for fencing, blue for pools and so on. Last time I read the franchise letter there was 2600 franchisees but whether that's in Australia or all over the world I can't remember.

Real nice work though and yeah, we opened up some driveways before too. One time the outrigger just touched the blacktop and a big hole opened to a sink hole which was made by an underground spring.

Every ewp and crane operators worst nightmare. :jawdrop:

If we dont know for sure, we get a registered site plan showing underground services. Of course that only shows what is supposed to be there....

Do not take this as anything more than curiousity John, but....The crane was not yours, crane op was not you, the bucket was not yours and the op and cutter/rigger was not you, the truck and chipper was not yours. Your crew did the ground work. Is that how you usually operate?

:) Yes Dave, I sub it all out. NOT!

The truck and chipper are mine.

The crane has a retail over here of 1.5 million so its a little over my plant budget this year... the picker is cheaper. You could pick a used one up for 150k or go new for around 600k.

Major plant purchases are almost an art form as you would know far better than me. The trouble with Australia is the size of the population means a much smaller 2nd hand pool and the associated price/value issues. I may invest in a 16-19 metre bucket truck at some stage but it would have to be an absolute steal.

The only time I am not the saw hand is when we use a crane and a bucket together. Other than that I actually do some work. Honest!

:) Yes Dave, I sub it all out. NOT!

The truck and chipper are mine.

The crane has a retail over here of 1.5 million so its a little over my plant budget this year... the picker is cheaper. You could pick a used one up for 150k or go new for around 600k.

Major plant purchases are almost an art form as you would know far better than me. The trouble with Australia is the size of the population means a much smaller 2nd hand pool and the associated price/value issues. I may invest in a 16-19 metre bucket truck at some stage but it would have to be an absolute steal.

The only time I am not the saw hand is when we use a crane and a bucket together. Other than that I actually do some work. Honest!

Thought the truck and chipper were not yours because your name is John and it says Jim on the truck. Really nice rig.

I understand the market over there. Aren't ms200's something like $1500.? Wouldn't it be possible to buy a used unit and have it shipped from here to there? They are almost giving away used buckets here these days. Can't you rent a bucket to do the aerial work yourself? I would prefer to have an op with the crane sometimes.

Just curious again....what is an absolute steal on a bucket truck of above mentioned reach? :cheers:

Thought the truck and chipper were not yours because your name is John and it says Jim on the truck. Really nice rig.

I understand the market over there. Aren't ms200's something like $1500.? Wouldn't it be possible to buy a used unit and have it shipped from here to there? They are almost giving away used buckets here these days. Can't you rent a bucket to do the aerial work yourself? I would prefer to have an op with the crane sometimes.

Just curious again....what is an absolute steal on a bucket truck of above mentioned reach? :cheers:

Its ok Dave, I make exceptions for people at your advanced age....

Its true the tag price on working gear here would give you a cardiac arrest. Havent looked recently but $1500 sounds about right for a 200t.

Price on a bucket truck is less the issue than the regulations regarding any ewp. We have 5 and 10 year inspection tickets. The 10 year can cost as much as the unit itself.

http://www.infolink.com.au/n/Pre-Owned-EWPs-Buyer-Beware-n765403

Hope the link works but if it does that should help to clarify the market here.

Found this unit after searching for a little while. There are all sorts of "bargains" untill you read that they are 8 1/2 years old....

http://midcoast.ihub.com.au/DesktopDefault.aspx?ItemID=2730788&TabID=92650

Buying in the US and shipping here could possibly work out as I know of many people that buy new saws that way. Dunno much about the regulations involved but when we get closer to the time it would definately be worth a look. Of course I would have to avoid all the units painted orange from Cincinnati...:)

Its ok Dave, I make exceptions for people at your advanced age....

Of course I would have to avoid all the units painted orange from Cincinnati...:)

Point taken on the senility (but I can still remember how to do a routine take down like that one). And point taken on the obnoxious orange trucks too.

Soooo...since we have got to be such good buds, first name basis and all, I took the liberty to shop a little for a truck I felt would suit your needs and job abilities. Hope you like it....it ain't orange, and you 2 guys can use it while dose big guys take down da big twee....
attachment.php

Point taken on the senility (but I can still remember how to do a routine take down like that one). And point taken on the obnoxious orange trucks too.

Soooo...since we have got to be such good buds, first name basis and all, I took the liberty to shop a little for a truck I felt would suit your needs and job abilities. Hope you like it....it ain't orange, and you 2 guys can use it while dose big guys take down da big twee....
attachment.php

I need that for my train set

I'm going to derail the thread slightly, but I'm curious how the franchise operation works in the tree business. I can understand in the lawn care or junk pickup biz where jobs are fairly similar and most franchisees will have the same basic equipment. But in the tree biz, there is such a dichotomy of equipment used by different companies, how can a central dispatch system know if the franchisee can handle the job.

I know for the Jim's Mowing, you get the trailer, a mower, blower and trimmer as part of the franchise fee. What about for trees, what do they supply?

I'm going to derail the thread slightly, but I'm curious how the franchise operation works in the tree business. I can understand in the lawn care or junk pickup biz where jobs are fairly similar and most franchisees will have the same basic equipment. But in the tree biz, there is such a dichotomy of equipment used by different companies, how can a central dispatch system know if the franchisee can handle the job.

I know for the Jim's Mowing, you get the trailer, a mower, blower and trimmer as part of the franchise fee. What about for trees, what do they supply?

:arg:

Ok briefly.

In WA at least, we all have truck,chipper,stump grinder and essential climbing gear. You can hire ewp's and cranes if you wish or climb em all. Initial training is provided, followed by on site work with an experienced hand.

You pay monthly fees based on how many leads you get from head office. Unless you have regular work from say a government tender or a maintenance contract then the cost of franchise fees is much less than the savings on insurance,advertising,equipment and consumables. The profile of this particular franchise is massive and I regularly get work where my quote is higher because people have faith in a known brand or business name.

attachment.php

Repped.

I laughed until it hurt....

Back