Big Trees, small saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hulsty

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Thought i'd throw this out if others have similar stories to share.

About 11 years ago myself and a few mates did a 2 week trip around Tasmania, we had heard about a track we wanted to do had been shut for about 6-9 months, a tree had fallen into it. The track was a old railway cutting and the tree had fallen along its length. No idea what kind of tree it was, had probably been dead 50 years. All we had was that little Poulan, $15 garage sale saw that wouldnt run below WOT. Spent best part of the day cutting into large sections and dragging down the track into the river below, last piece was the root ball, took 2 cars to get it down. Great trip, few massive challenges along the way (busted cars).

Attachments

• P3180140_1024x768.jpg
    P3180140_1024x768.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 0
  • P3180143_1024x768.jpg
    P3180143_1024x768.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 0
  • Photo0008_1024x768.jpg
    Photo0008_1024x768.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Photo0014_768x10241.jpg
    Photo0014_768x10241.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Photo0016_1024x768.jpg
    Photo0016_1024x768.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 0
A 50cc with a 13" bar is way underestimated and easily fells 26" of wood if you know what your doing.
I've seen a lot of big trees that beaver have dropped into ponds and streams..... and they almost always get the direction of fall right!

I've also seen 2 men, both "armed" with chainsaws -14" bar Walmart specials - attempt to fall a 36", 100 ft + tall snag!
This was on National Forest land, and the tree was on a steep hillside, above a logging road.... It was common practice, back then, to drop trees like this on to the road so that you could easily cut and load your firewood! My kids and I were out looking to cut a load of firewood when we came upon a truck parked alongside a road, and I could hear a saw running up in the brush where the snag was standing. I stopped a couple hundred feet back, thinking that the tree was coming down. Pretty soon the saw stopped, and I could hear the guys talking..... so I walked up to where they were working. Beaver make a much nicer looking stump! One of the guys asked me if I knew anything about falling trees, and "what should we do"? They had cut all the way around the tree, and carved away enough wood so that they could deepen the cut toward the center of the tree!
As the tree was leaning toward the road, my first suggestion was that they should move their truck.... as it was parked where the tree was likely to fall! I asked if they had any wedges and an axe.... no! While they got their truck out of the way, I walked back to my truck and got my axe and a wedge..... and with a single wedge and just a few hits, dropped the tree, right where their truck had been! There was only a couple inches of "holding wood", and it was in the center of the tree!
I had my OLD Solo Rex saw, with a 30" bar, so I cut enough rounds to get the road open again, loaded up my truck, and headed home!

A beaver has no idea which the direction the tree will fall.The reason most of the trees land in the pond is the trees are growing toward the greatest amount of light which is the water.If you walk farther back from the waters edge the trees fallen by the beavers will be in many different directions.
Beavers will usually build their house on the north side of the pond to take advantage of the solar heat from the sun and it melts the ice in front of his house earlier and allows easier access to their stored feed pile submerged in front of the house.
Kash

Thought i'd throw this out if others have similar stories to share.

About 11 years ago myself and a few mates did a 2 week trip around Tasmania, we had heard about a track we wanted to do had been shut for about 6-9 months, a tree had fallen into it. The track was a old railway cutting and the tree had fallen along its length. No idea what kind of tree it was, had probably been dead 50 years. All we had was that little Poulan, $15 garage sale saw that wouldnt run below WOT. Spent best part of the day cutting into large sections and dragging down the track into the river below, last piece was the root ball, took 2 cars to get it down. Great trip, few massive challenges along the way (busted cars).
Weird what some folks consider a vacation...
Not saying I'd of done the same thing... but yeah, I'd of done the same thing, bore the S out of the wife, while playing with clapped out saws... almost like we never left the house.

A beaver has no idea which the direction the tree will fall.The reason most of the trees land in the pond is the trees are growing toward the greatest amount of light which is the water.If you walk farther back from the waters edge the trees fallen by the beavers will be in many different directions.
Beavers will usually build their house on the north side of the pond to take advantage of the solar heat from the sun and it melts the ice in front of his house earlier and allows easier access to their stored feed pile submerged in front of the house.
Kash
Understood! My "point" was that beaver were better trained to fall trees that the guys working on the snag!

Wow, that's quite a size!--darn near the size of some moose in Canada. Is there a good way to barbecue those things?

From MICHIGAN??--you're joshing' me. Show me some accent or I claim that like me you know moose much better than those things. But that does look like a lot of meat, and I understand there are a lot of them down there. Crocodile Dundee's reaction to pitlampers notwithstanding.

Heres one for you Aussie boys.
A Texan and an Aussie meet on a cruise ship the Aussie invites the Texan to visit his ranch.About a year later the Texan shows up at the ranch they go to inspect the fields the Aussie points out his prize cattle the Texan says you call them skinny little things cattle back home in Texas I got long horns twice their size .They go further and the Aussie points out his prize wheat fields the Texan says man that looks like nothin but high grass back home in Texas I got wheat fields growin higher than your head just about that time a herd of kangaroos shows up the Texan says what the hell are those sumabitches the Aussie says you mean to tell me you dont have grasshoppers over in TEXAS.
After all every thing is bigger in TEXAS
Kash

Back