big trees what size saw?!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaronmach1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i have a oak and a maple i need to get cut up that are blowdowns from a recent storm. The problem is the trees are 4 feet wide! whats the minimum saw bar size i need to try and borrow or find?

i have a oak and a maple i need to get cut up that are blowdowns from a recent storm. The problem is the trees are 4 feet wide! whats the minimum saw bar size i need to try and borrow or find?

You could do it with a 28". I have a 28" on my saw and I have felled trees that size. A 32" or a 26" bar would be better for you though.

Well according to my math 4ft is 48 inches so if you want to cut from both sides your minimum would be a 24 inch bar. So you need at least a 70cc saw or a 562xp.

This'll do it. ;o)

attachment.php

Here's the arithmetic: Measure the widest point you intend to cut. Divide by 2. Use a bar that gives you at least that amount of cutting length (measure it on the saw as spikes/dawgs eat up cutting length and manufacturers sometimes exaggerate bar lengths). Personally I like a little extra length so I would go with the next size up if there are to be multiple or difficult cuts. Ron

oakley michigan. thanks guys, probably going to look at them tonight. they are at my dads buddies house and all i know so far is that he wants me to get them, and 4 ft diameter. O and free wood!!!

thought my buddy had a 36" bar turns out its only 24. next step is to try and borrow stepdads 036 and see how big of bar i can get for it. boy it would suck to have to chunk these up like my dad said with my 18" bar!:rotfl: I said, "what!" he says , "ya just cut it in chunks."

Actually, chunking up a tree that size doesn't work too badly. Make a cut as deep as you can with your bar, noodle chunks off, and repeat. Chances are you're gonna be doing a lot of noodling anyway, unless you've got a loader handy.

Good excuse to get a larger saw with a 30 something bar on it. As you can see, you never know when a storm/downed tree will necessitate a large saw. Happens unexpectedly, but it happens all over all the time, and better to be prepared in advance.

Just sayin'

I learned my lesson on that! Ater going from one smallish saw for firewood, then having to have a larger one because of a tornado..well, it's really nice to have some big muscle backup, even if you don't need it all the time. Same as a generator, stored fuel/food/water, stuff like that.

Don't dig a five dollar hole for a hundred dollar an hour man to work in. Dig a Hundred dollar hole for the five dollar man to work in.

You need a bigger saw, apparently.

Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
This above all: to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man.

W.S. Way back a bunch a years.

This will be your learing curve tree..you'll never mess with a 48" trunk again with a small saw.I wouldn't even start on a tree that big with anything less than a 32" bar and 660..394 or something comparable.

Sure if you got time to fart around with little saws and can spend 25hrs hacking at a tree in sombodys yard then have at it but if you plan on being a firewood scrounge you better have the tools.

Latest posts

Back