big trees what size saw?!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Splitting was the worst part.

I bet. I've never cut hickory, but that sucker looks awfully gnarly. The red oak we've been working is bad enough.
I cut up a lot of the crotches with the saw, and a bunch of it still went in the fire ring pile.

I bet. I've never cut hickory, but that sucker looks awfully gnarly. The red oak we've been working is bad enough.
I cut up a lot of the crotches with the saw, and a bunch of it still went in the fire ring pile.

Yeah, I ended up making "wooden bricks" out of the last 5' of butt log... The stuff I put through the splitter was UN-stackable.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Don't dig a five dollar hole for a hundred dollar an hour man to work in. Dig a Hundred dollar hole for the five dollar man to work in.

You need a bigger saw, apparently.

Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
This above all: to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man.

W.S. Way back a bunch a years.

I've always made it a practice to never borrow something a second time. There are some things you only ever need once and you can get by by borrowing, but I always figured if I need something a second time odds are I'm going to need it a third, fourth or more times so I may as well buy it.

Nice bunch of trees there, Whitespider.

I see a bunch of stuff I wouldn't attempt with the 025. If I didn't have a fairly regular supply
of wood, I'd have to buy something bigger. Fortunately, at the moment, that's not a problem.

For firewood cutting, not production cutting I tend to lean toward Whitespider's methods. For the occasional big tree it's simply not a good investment to go buy a 90ccc saw to cut one or just a few bigger trees. Doing the commercial firewood thing we use the smallest saw that effectively gets the job done. Having owned everything from a 660 to a 009, the Simonized 460 will handle anywood in this country,but the majority of the firewood is cut with 261's and 361. 99% of the time the 460 wears a 24" bar. With a good sharp chains it doesn't take that long to chunk one up.
It's more relative to the skill of the user and sharp chain.

Back