Big trucks take big gulps of fuel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John464

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Im considering purchasing another truck. Originally wanted another chip truck but figure might as well get one with a boom mounted to it. Just got finished reading the latest article in the TCIA that talks about how hard fuel costs have hit us this year and how we will start seeing HYBRID bucket trucks because of this.

Now I dont think I want a hybrid, but I would like to buy another truck that doesnt drink fuel like a pig. Does anyone know of, or could provide, a comparison chart for the bigger trucks. In example, the 3126 CAT Diesel vs 3116 Cat Diesel vs Ford 6.0 Diesel vs 366 Gas etc, etc.

My fuel costs this year have increased over 35% therefore fuel economy along with reliabity are my two main factors weighing in on a purchase.

Any help or comments appreciated

Im spending $100 a week on diesel,truck and chipper.my competitors are spending a LOT more;)

Depending on the particular truck, I'd say that the 366 gasser is going to cost an arm, leg and both kidneys to keep gas in it. plus extended idle times kill gas motors. diesel ALL the way. granted in a 30k pound vehicle you probably wont see more than at the very best around 12mpg, its better than a gas motor in the same truck getting 3.

if you could find one, a truck with a larger diesel is probably going to be more efficient because the larger motor doesnt have to strain as much to move the vehicle. same concept as using a big saw to run a 48" bar.

Get a diesel and look into making your own fuel with waste vegetable oil from restaurants. There is a company in MA that sells a kit for about $800 so your diesel truck can run on vegetable oil. On the Turbo Diesel Register website, some of the guys made their own and have had very satisfactory results running vegetable oil even on some highly modified performance diesels. I would be doing that myself, except I don't have the space to set up the equipment needed or store the fuel.

Koa Man said:
Get a diesel and look into making your own fuel with waste vegetable oil from restaurants. There is a company in MA that sells a kit for about $800 so your diesel truck can run on vegetable oil. On the Turbo Diesel Register website, some of the guys made their own and have had very satisfactory results running vegetable oil even on some highly modified performance diesels. I would be doing that myself, except I don't have the space to set up the equipment needed or store the fuel.

That works great for someone that only uses 20-30 gallons a week.I'm burning close to 1000 gallons a month.It will be difficult to find that much used veggie oil a month.Another thing is unless you have i believe 2000 or newer trucks the biodiesel will eat the o-rings in your injector pumps. My IH 4700 hauling 10K logs and 11K loader and trailer is getting 12 mpg.

Diesels will run on liquified petroleum gas as well,aparently perfom better on turbocharged engines.

DDM said:
That works great for someone that only uses 20-30 gallons a week.I'm burning close to 1000 gallons a month..

same here. I have zero time to make fuel.
Last month's fuel bill $2,657.09 on Shell account. Fuel was a little under $3.00 a gallon

my chip truck is running a 350 2 bbl 4 spd. 3500rpm at 50 mph. gets much better fuel mileage than my 6cyl ford pickup.
-Ralph

Just about all my equipment runs on diesel. Right now in my area gas is $2.40 gallon and diesel is $2.80 gallon. I thought diesel was less involved to make. I could never understand why diesel costs more than gas. Does anyone have an answer?

I have a friend who drives a gas truck (deliveries) and he's told me that diesel is higher because it's similar to heating oil. It's kept high thru the warm weather in case folks want to fill their HO tanks, and goes thru the roof when cold weather hits. Also tax credits for diesel auto/truck purchases and credits to the manufacturers have run out. (I thought a while back, auto purchase (diesel) credits stopped in '86 if memory serves) Perhaps the oil companied received them longer?
It's what I'm told, but take it for what it's worth to you. I drive gas only.
-Ralph

begleytree said:
I have a friend who drives a gas truck (deliveries) and he's told me that diesel is higher because it's similar to heating oil. -Ralph

The same with the exception of the red dye added to the home heating oil.

In Mass, it is exactly the same. Diesel from the pump goes in on road vehicles, home heating oil(red dyed diesel) goes in the oil tank at home or into off-road machinery like bulldozers, excavators and skidders. I've witnessed many a truck top of the homeowners tank and then fill the machine that was doing work there at the same time. DOT cops around here routinely "dip test" the fuel in contractors vehicles to make sure it isn't red. I won't speak for how things are done in Virginia.

Up here Kerosene is designated as no.1 and diesel/home heating oil is no.2, two different birds.

You get caught in SC running red its a 5K fine.A buddy of mine tried it out the 40.00 he saved at the pump cost him dearly.

DDM said:
You get caught in SC running red its a 5K fine.A buddy of mine tried it out the 40.00 he saved at the pump cost him dearly.

A guy up here in Wi. got checked after his truck was in a crash..He told the DOT inspector that he had dumped 3 QT's ATF in fuel tank to clean injectors..He never did get a fine..It might have saved him a ticket...

If your red here and protest they will send the fuel to a lab and have it tested.
If it comes up as an addative your good if not you pay for the test 160.00 and the fine.

They never sent it in the guy had a couple empty bottles in the truck..We were standing watching what was going on . When he stuck the clear tube in the tank and it came up red I figured he was busted.. Must have been his lucky day..Around here they test Farm trucks all the time..

So that's why all the farm trucks have empty ATF bottles lying in the bed...

I run ORD in the tractor, but never in the truck.

Chaser

Oly's Stump said:
Just about all my equipment runs on diesel. Right now in my area gas is $2.40 gallon and diesel is $2.80 gallon. I thought diesel was less involved to make. I could never understand why diesel costs more than gas. Does anyone have an answer?

road tax,,i think the idea, is to get the trucks to pay for the roads.. buy heating oil for your off road stuff,, add a can of anti gel during cold weather...
last year i paid more for fuel oil, then diesel...there is no tax on fuel oil here,, diesel is taxed.. the diesel was cheaper... not this year...

gasman said:
Not exactly the same. Heating oil is kerosene. Still very similar but kerosene does not lubricate as well as diesel. Winter mix diesel is a mix of diesel with kerosene. I think 60/40.

Cost increase in diesel recently is due to new ULSD requirement which is being passed on to consumer of course. The new diesel will also be 15 cents/Gal more expensive to produce.

twenty five years ago, i drove a oil truck... the only difference between #2 heating oil and diesel fuel,, is the additives they put in diesel... ie, anti gel and detergants...(this is in NJ.. colder places might cut it with kero,,to prevent geling)

our big road and off road users,, that had their own tanks,, bought heating oil in the summer,,,diesel in the winter.. every now and then,, diesel would gel up in the winter..

now heating oil is dyed, so if you get caught using it on road, you get fined for not paying road taxes..

from what i've heard,, the new 2007 models,, if you use the older diesel, or heating oil,, it will void the waranty.. all 2007 diesel vehicles will have catalytic converters on them.. and the older fuels will clog them... clogged cat = voided waranty...

Back