Big trucks take big gulps of fuel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
juststumps said:
from what i've heard,, the new 2007 models,, if you use the older diesel, or heating oil,, it will void the waranty.. all 2007 diesel vehicles will have catalytic converters on them.. and the older fuels will clog them... clogged cat = voided waranty...

When I was filling up the truck the other day I noticed stickers on all the diesel pumps that said don't put this in your truck if you have a 2007, except that the sticker was in more eloquent legalese.

juststumps said:
twenty five years ago, i drove a oil truck... the only difference between #2 heating oil and diesel fuel,, is the additives they put in diesel... ie, anti gel and detergants...(this is in NJ.. colder places might cut it with kero,,to prevent geling)

our big road and off road users,, that had their own tanks,, bought heating oil in the summer,,,diesel in the winter.. every now and then,, diesel would gel up in the winter..

now heating oil is dyed, so if you get caught using it on road, you get fined for not paying road taxes..

from what i've heard,, the new 2007 models,, if you use the older diesel, or heating oil,, it will void the waranty.. all 2007 diesel vehicles will have catalytic converters on them.. and the older fuels will clog them... clogged cat = voided waranty...

My bad you are more right than me. No 2. oil is essentially diesel with red dye, but I think your not going to get guarantees about composition the way you would with a chevron on road product etc. After the switch
to Ultra low sulfur diesel for road fuel they will be significanly different.

gasman said:
My bad you are more right than me. No 2. oil is essentially diesel with red dye, but I think your not going to get guarantees about composition the way you would with a chevron on road product etc. After the switch
to Ultra low sulfur diesel for road fuel they will be significanly different.

i don't know about the rest of the world,,
but out here, the refinerys make fuel... they pump it to distribution centers,, and store it...sunoco has a tank in Piscattaway,, hess has a tank in trenton... a amaco truck goes to load up at trenton, they add amaco additives to the load...amaco truck goes to piscattaway,, same thing...chevron, exxon,etc.. all get their secret blend at the fuel dump.. basicly gas is gas,,,oil is oil... the only difference is what they add as the batch is mixed..

juststumps said:
i don't know about the rest of the world,,
but out here, the refinerys make fuel... they pump it to distribution centers,, and store it...sunoco has a tank in Piscattaway,, hess has a tank in trenton... a amaco truck goes to load up at trenton, they add amaco additives to the load...amaco truck goes to piscattaway,, same thing...chevron, exxon,etc.. all get their secret blend at the fuel dump.. basicly gas is gas,,,oil is oil... the only difference is what they add as the batch is mixed..

Here off road diesel has a lower cetane number than the BP Brand on road stuff. So it looks like there is a difference. Why would they not label the off road diesel with the highest cetane number poosible if it was always the same.

gasman said:
Here off road diesel has a lower cetane number than the BP Brand on road stuff. So it looks like there is a difference. Why would they not label the off road diesel with the highest cetane number poosible if it was always the same.

what is "cetane" ? never heard that term... never seen a label with that on it.. i try to learn something every day... maybe it's a regional thing.. what does that rating mean,,, and what does it mean to me??? stumps

Husky137 said:
In Mass, it is exactly the same. Diesel from the pump goes in on road vehicles, home heating oil(red dyed diesel) goes in the oil tank at home or into off-road machinery like bulldozers, excavators and skidders. I've witnessed many a truck top of the homeowners tank and then fill the machine that was doing work there at the same time. DOT cops around here routinely "dip test" the fuel in contractors vehicles to make sure it isn't red. I won't speak for how things are done in Virginia.

Up here Kerosene is designated as no.1 and diesel/home heating oil is no.2, two different birds.
dip test in florida too. If you get cought it is $250 per gallon of whats in the tonk.
(want to help with the fine. )

Years ago I was using straight #2 in my Perkins Diesel powered brush chipper and burnt the injectoin pump out. Found out straight # 2 (home heating oil) didn't have enough lubrication factor in it. I now buy an additive for lubrication and anti-gel and put it in my tank that heats the shop. Have an electric pump on tank so I can fill the tractor, brush chipper and stump grinder. I have a GMC Diesel truck but buy all fuel at filling station, wont take a chance. In fact if you have warranty work done on a diesel and they find red fuel thats end of warranty.

gasman said:
Not exactly the same. Heating oil is kerosene. Still very similar but kerosene does not lubricate as well as diesel. Winter mix diesel is a mix of diesel with kerosene. I think 60/40.

Cost increase in diesel recently is due to new ULSD requirement which is being passed on to consumer of course. The new diesel will also be 15 cents/Gal more expensive to produce.
In Maine,heating oil is Diesel.

Steve-Maine said:
Years ago I was using straight #2 in my Perkins Diesel powered brush chipper and burnt the injectoin pump out. Found out straight # 2 (home heating oil) didn't have enough lubrication factor in it. I now buy an additive for lubrication and anti-gel and put it in my tank that heats the shop. Have an electric pump on tank so I can fill the tractor, brush chipper and stump grinder. I have a GMC Diesel truck but buy all fuel at filling station, wont take a chance. In fact if you have warranty work done on a diesel and they find red fuel thats end of warranty.
You sure you don't mean straight #1? Kerosene.

Home heating oil #2 fuel offroad fuel are all the same. It differs from on road not with cetane rating but sulfer. Offroad has a higher sulfer count than on road. The lower the sulfer rating the less lubricity. The more they take the sulfer out the more they need to add additives. The new fuels are going to have very little sulfer. The sulfer itself doesn't itself add lubricity it is the refining process to get rid of the sulfer that looses the lubricity.

Oh yea forgot original post. Go with a diesel. Most efficent diesel in my opinion is the Cummins motor. Cat make a great motor, lots of power. But Cat is thirsty. Example: I have 2 skidders a Cat 518 #21,000 and a Timberjack 380 with grapple and winch #32,000 Jack has 6 cylinder Cummins. The cat has 4 cylinder 3304. I use more fuel in the cat about a third more.. But I also think the Cat pulls more.

Back