Big wood and even bigger saws, 125 vs 090 vs 750 videos!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watsonr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Was asked to do a little hurricane clean-up for a friend, nice big fat oak tree about 32" average and about 60-70' of it. Was across a gully and a little tough but not to bad. The tree was relatively knot free except the one big limb near the top, she's close to 4' at the stump and solid all the way through.
100MEDIA_IMAG0654.jpg

The line up of saws, Homelite 750 w/36" roller, McCulloch 125 w/42" roller, Stihl 090 w/36" roller, Stihl 064 w/28", Stihl 044 w/20, and the Makita 6401 w/20". The two smaller saws were for tops and limbs and my buddy and his boy ran those two.
100MEDIA_IMAG0656.jpg

First up, 125. Something was wrong with the oiler, bar was pretty warm after the cut. I cleaned the groove out, had some burned wood dust in it and seemed like the bar plates were rubbing the sides of the chain. I could see the tie straps were rubbed, she only made this cut, sorry. It did cut well, chain needed a sharpening, I had not touched it before this cut and I should have, I may have discovered the chain was rubbing. Also will need to turn the oiler up to max as I had to manual oil as I went. It was the slowest of the three and she should have been the fastest.
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5A2Ki7H467M?hl=en&fs=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Next the 090, ran good, was rich at the start of the cut, I re-tuned her and finished the cut. If you can run this monster all day, your more of a man than I am, NOT saying I'm not tough, but this thing is heavy and will flat wear you out!! Made some nice chips and was almost as fast as the 750, I could lean on her pretty heavy and not slow it down. Would smoke the 750 in bigger wood for sure!
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jDqSbRJKo9A?hl=en&fs=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last, my favorite saw of the bunch!! The 750 was running great and a real pleasure to cut with, not to heavy and was cutting fast, you can see from the pile of chips they were big and fell straight down, had to kick them away in places where the log was close to the ground. I could put both hands on the handle and pull almost as hard as I could and she barely grunted.
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uCvz2hYM38w?hl=en&fs=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Group shot of me and the boys near the end, notice were all wearing smiles and will be for days. Can't say that for my arms and back, enjoy!
100MEDIA_IMAG0663.jpg

great vids..... that tree looked awfully nice to block into firewood. I want one of those 750s so bad that thing is a beast.

Beast master

Nice stuff man.

If a beefy guy like you has some issues with like an 090, guess I'll pass on looking for a really big saw, much as I want one...got to be able to run the thing.... I'll be looking for a "large medium"** if that makes any sense.

Ya, that homie looked good!

**ya, I'm lookin'........

Now that's my kind of video since I have one each of those saws. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back