Big wood tomorrow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I put the rarely used 32" B&C on the ms461 for tomorrows firewood run. I can see that it has been a few or more years since I have used this set up. The chain shows my amateur status in filing a chain. Last sharpening was with the bench mounted grinder and the gullet is pronounced. I took some swipes at it with the file. Looks like it needs more attention later today or before heading out tomorrow morning. :rock:

The 32" B&C now no longer seems all that long. After using the 41" B&C of the ms880 this 32" seem short, or not so much longer then the 24", or not nearly as long as it once seemed. :rolleyes:

I can see myself using this a lot more with some of the wood we are finding.

Not sure exactly where you are cutting firewood in a Montana. Most National Forests in the Northwest or Region One are offering free personal use fire wood permits right now, they are only good until June 1st. Up to 12 cords all other rules and regs apply

Not sure exactly where you are cutting firewood in a Montana. Most National Forests in the Northwest or Region One are offering free personal use fire wood permits right now, they are only good until June 1st. Up to 12 cords all other rules and regs apply

I have set a goal to cut my 5 to 6 cords before June 1st. That is for my personal use. I also help others and have cut about 5 cords so far. The older stuff that is near ready to burn, I cut for neighbors that don't have the space to let sit and season over 2 or 3 years time.

Lots and lots of big woods in my area. We finished up a 28" dia pine the other day, that was laying down. I would guess it was the loggers that dropped it, but it could have been the FS. Tomorrow just a bit larger, I'd say 30" plus.

I got the chain as sharp as I can. I am now looking at all angles and adjusting the file to address any short comings in my sharpening. The chain should be awesome. :rock:

What sort of trees get turned to firewood in Montana, that need a 32" bar?

That would be lumber here.

Not for tomorrow, but soon up is some HUGE Poderosa Pines that the FS dropped last year. I used the 41" B&C for some of it last year. I cut my allotment last year, and no one else has cut any of it. Wood Snobs? I cut all trees for firewood, but the Cottonwoods. Along my road there are Cottonwood that even the 41" B&C with the ms880 might not be able to handle. HUGE huge trees, and is junk wood as far as I know.

I would burn any wood till I burnt willow. It smelled like the swamp was burning. I had seven cords of willow. I only burned it with hardwood mixed in at 12 am when everyone is sleeping.

Cottonwood is not the same as willow, but strange things might be growing in Montana. Here's one of my favorite big cottonwood pics:
View attachment 825994
The sawyer is just under 6' tall and that's a 36" bar on an MS 660.

I was helping a neighbor put up some new fencing, and noticed a HUGE cotton wood with a split base. Like yours, but times two. I offered to cut it down, or try and the neighbor did not seem interested. It is not yet dead, but will be when it falls. An even bigger cottonwood on the other side of the creek dropped a few years ago, and it was as large but a single. Must have been impressive when it fell, some time in the winter and likely at O'Dark 30.

Chain sharpening was fantastic. The 32" bar stuck out about an inch. I got 9 logs 16inchers and the neighbor also got 9 logs, his cut to 23 inches. Another neighbor showed up with the grand kids and I instigated a saw dust fight, and it ended with grandma being covered by attacks from the 9 yo and the 5 yo. A good morning. :)

Chain sharpening was fantastic. The 32" bar stuck out about an inch. I got 9 logs 16inchers and the neighbor also got 9 logs, his cut to 23 inches. Another neighbor showed up with the grand kids and I instigated a saw dust fight, and it ended with grandma being covered by attacks from the 9 yo and the 5 yo. A good morning. :)

:thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:

Cottonwood is what you guys call Poplar eh?
Poplar and Willow both burn, both are better cut during their dormant stage- but both are Gopher wood, because as soon as you fill the woodburner firebox, you gotta go fer more wood.

Latest posts

Back