Bigshot to 200'

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoyoman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My dilemma has been traveling and taking something with me that can reach the tall trees and still pass customs and the concerns people have when I am seen in public. The crossbow and air launcher caused me concerns so I worked on my standard big shot with two 4 foot poles and now reach 200’ and find it satisfactory to travel with and I have not found a need for more height than this.

Best I've ever been able to hit with my big shot with a cube and 1.8 zing it and a 10 oz weight was about 115'. I had a 4' and an 8' pole together, it was scary. I don't think I could accurately hit a crotch at 200', at 115' it took many many attempts, and it was the lowest branch. We had to allow for the arc of the weight, wind etc...

I'm guessing the fishing line is the big secret to getting those stratospheric shots? Do you attach your rope directly to the fishing line, or do you use it to haul a throw line up, then a rope? A 400+' rope must be plenty heavy.

I'm guessing the fishing line is the big secret to getting those stratospheric shots? Do you attach your rope directly to the fishing line, or do you use it to haul a throw line up, then a rope? A 400+' rope must be plenty heavy.

For sure, the fishing line and reel are used to pull up the regular throw line. Also the right amount of weight to go with the line you are using makes a difference, even if you are not using fishing line. That reel makes it very easy by the way to set that much thowline. I have a 600' 11mm KMIII Static Kernmantle SRT Climbing Line that use and it weights about 38 pounds.

Read more: http://www.sherrilltree.com/Professional-Gear/Static-Kernmantle#ixzz2uQWlOD63

I just bought a lucky launcher line launcher and have used it a few times in the past few days. I throw so bad my guys laugh at me and I refused to spend 200 bucks on a big shot. this thing is pretty impressive and is a legit piece of equipment unike a home made air cannon. google it up

I enjoyed watching the you-tube vid of the lucky launcher device.
Would like to have one, but it is considerably more spendy than a Bigshot. (when you include the line winder & canister).

I just bought a lucky launcher line launcher and have used it a few times in the past few days. I throw so bad my guys laugh at me and I refused to spend 200 bucks on a big shot. this thing is pretty impressive and is a legit piece of equipment unike a home made air cannon. google it up

???? But I am interested in seeing how the lucky launcher is applied to the tree climbing environment.
BIG SHOT® by SherrillTree, two 4' poles
Item# SET1027
$119.95

Read more: http://www.sherrilltree.com/Big-Shot-Standard-Kit#ixzz2uVYRIVxQ

the complete kit for rope setting with 2 weights, 1 rubber 1 aluminum, 2 cans or rope, 300 charges 100 of each power, cleaning kit, and carrying case is about 375. a bit spendy but if you can shoot a shotgun, but look like a fool throwing... like me, this is a saving grace. I also suck with a bigshot and find this accurate. the winder works great but I may try shooting heavier throw line out of the cube for pulling up 3/4 bull rope

the complete kit for rope setting with 2 weights, 1 rubber 1 aluminum, 2 cans or rope, 300 charges 100 of each power, cleaning kit, and carrying case is about 375. a bit spendy but if you can shoot a shotgun, but look like a fool throwing... like me, this is a saving grace. I also suck with a bigshot and find this accurate. the winder works great but I may try shooting heavier throw line out of the cube for pulling up 3/4 bull rope
I'm always interested in anything. I don't think this would work for me, especially with the .22cal concept. Anyway, tell me about the rope setting kit and weights? The projectiles I have seen look like they would not come out of the tree well. I've never been to successful getting a line to play out of the cube when you are getting the speeds to launch above 120 feet so I will be interested to see how you get that to work.

it came with 2 weights, a foam rubber football thing, and a aluminum slug type weight. it shoots with such velocity it can blow straight threw a dense canopy. the line it comes with is some sort of mason line and I had about 180 pounds of my 200 on it today and it dident break, the winder seems more reliable than I initially thought it would be. we shot about 7 lines today. I also found I can slow down the projectile and almost stop it in flight by holding the line as is pays out of the bottle, it is as loud as a 22 gun so it may not work in some city environments. my solution would be have the chipper howling while making the shot. and if I can baggage check a handgun and ammo. I don't see a problem with the 22 blank shot. the whole kit comes in a awesome carrying case. the aluminum slug is about 5'' long and maybe 1.5'' thick round.

Thanks for post your advertising video for your throwbags

Thanks for post your advertising video for your throwbags
You are welcome, even if you didn't mean it ; -)
Well it is also link to the Drum for the Unicender that I have sold to Austria, England, Australia, Canada and the US.
The MagThrowBags will soon be sold at Treestuff.
Too bad non of this has made me any money yet.
I don't think I am in violation of the Terms of Service and Rules of arboristsite.com and I hope the small link is not offensive or spam like to the users of this site.

If I am in violation of the intent of these terms I would hope that the owners will let me know.

I have learned a lot from the yoyo dude, can't say I use it all, but stuff shown in his videos have saved me a lot of work several times.

I have learned a lot from the yoyo dude, can't say I use it all, but stuff shown in his videos have saved me a lot of work several times.
Thanks Woodchuck357, I know I do it mostly for fun but it does take a lot of time and I appreciate the kind stand up remark.

Anymore info on that Lucky Launcher I see that "...and accuracy for placing lines in trees up to 100' vertically, or horizontally up to 250'."
Now the100' won't get me to the first branch on many trees and is not much more than some of you guys can hand toss but the 250' horizontally is interesting and the fact that it could be carried into the canopy.
I would be interested to know if I could use it with a steel weight, my magthrowbag and set traverses that are 100' away.
That would be something.

Latest posts

Back