Bike saw talk

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

little possum

Crash and Burn
Reaction score
Please dont bash me. But I was wondering if anybody wanted to discuss bike saws with me. I have a old yamaha 360 motor sitting in the shop collecting dust. And was just pondering on what it would take to turn it into a saw. I know it wouldnt be anything special compared to todays motors, but its what I have.

Ok, so the biggest part that I dont understand is what to do about the clutch. Do you leave the transmission mounted on the motor and select the gear and drop the clutch, and then sling chips. Or is there something else?
Looks like that would be hard to control.

What about the throttle, Im assuming most of it would be custom work, to make a trigger like system on new saws?

Or maybe there are some threads with some how to's or at least some detailed pictures.

Thanks

romeo built my saw. The transmission is cut off, and is direct drive off the crankshaft. Even in high gear the transmission won't turn 1:1.
My saw has (I think) a brake handle setup from a bicycle for a throttle.

Andy

So no clutch, just a sprocket on the crankshaft?
The brake handle off a bike would be a easy solution, I have a couple laying around.
Looks like ill be diggin out the motor.

What about bars, 3/4" harvesters? Or what?

Thanks Andy.

Thanks troutfisher. Could you recommend a sprocket. It is just welded on the crankshaft right?

Just trying to figure all this out. If I go through with it, this one definately wouldnt be a good racer, it would be old, heavy, and slow compared to todays standards.

Thanks to you fellas for helpin out.

Any threads with pictures I could check out, or maybe a google search would be better?

Here's some pics of my saw as I was building it. The plates bolt on where the covers were.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Trout's saw runs really nice.

I just started messing with some of these beasts one thing for sure is weight is an issue. Without care the scale will head for 70lb or more. But go too light on critical pieces and they break, not good to have the handle fall off mid cut (survived that little moment).

Seen a good number of saws incorporate an old chainsaw handle in the rear end, simplifies the throttle linkage but is not always the most bulletproof setup.

Thanks Troutfisher, that is exactly the kind of stuff I needed to see. If there was anybody around here that ran them, Id bother them.

I'm just a backyard hack, there are much better saws to learn from, just search. Getting your bar fitted up correctly is very important....you don't want one of these things throwing a chain. The bar should be trimmed to match the sprocket, and centered perfectly. The tail of the bar should be slightly bigger than the sprocket.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Again, Thanks for the time, and pictures.

My uncle is a machinist, so Im sure he will play a important role in all of this, if I go throw with it.

Last question, for a while. What about a oiler?

Mine has a little brass fitting in the right side plate that lines up with the oil hole in the bar. The water jackets on the engine are filled with bar oil and piped down to the fitting. A little oil tank up on the handle will work fine too.

Again, Thanks for the time, and pictures.

My uncle is a machinist, so Im sure he will play a important role in all of this, if I go throw with it.

Last question, for a while. What about a oiler?

Man, that is cool that you are thinking about building a bikesaw. Even though you might not have the fastes saw ever, I highly doubt you will even care once it is done. It is just an extensive project. The people that do them are very creative and good at what they do, but that is not saying anyone can't build one. With the help on the internet, you can do it.

As for an oiler, some just run a jug attached to the handle bar and put a shut off noozle on it. Turn it on when you cut and off when you don't. A lot of just use a squirt bottle and drench the chain before the run. We are talking less than 5 seconds for 3 cuts, so you don't need that much oil.

Thanks epicklein. I just figure it would be something else to mess with. Dont really know if I have the guts to run a actually bike saw. Sounds pretty scary. Definately would have the PPE on.

Thanks again for all the help.

Latest posts

Back