Biomass

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timberjackboy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
:) Anyone heard anything about Biomas technology. Timberjack has a 1490 Biomas bundler in their prouduct line. Its prety big in place slike Sweeden and I think it will be only a mater of time befor it come sin big over here I mena look at cut to length harvesting that starte dout in swden and place slike that. I would be interested in being a biomass contractor in the future? Does anyone have any information on where you would find a market for it, and any companies in the maritimes who would let you pick up the brush?

I think it is still the big boys game. The prices will be low and the margin small. Transportation will be killer. If you do a google search you will come up with stuff. Have looke a bit into pelletisers for converting sawdust to pellets for wood burners. no reason why bark and brush couldnt go into it. The ash content of bark is too high for domestic use but ok for larger units
Scandinavian countrys have pneumatic trucks for delivery. Its time will come! We have been used to low energy prices compared to Europe, so they are a way ahead of us in Forestry. I think in the plantations there they even pull and utilise the stumps. you got to be geared for it. Ever try to haul stumps?

well last summer there was a stump grinder on the valley forest grounds which is now bank rupt. The grinder would follow the harvetsing operations. It had an escavator with a claw used to rip up the stumps and put them in the grinder Im not sur eif they were useing brush as well or just stumps?. I think that was going for flakeboard. The biomass bundler goes through the woods gathers up the brush and bundles it into bundles.

Those bundlers look neat but I think you would need a place to deliver your product. The say it can be delivered on a flat deck log truck, which there is no lack of in New Brunswick. There is a plan to build a biomass gernarator here in Northern Arizona but it has not started yet. Here the run a chainsaw grapple skidder operration to thin the forest near the residential areas, they take the wood and pile the slash and burn it. IT would be nice to see them using the slash for energy generation as opposed to smoke form burn neat the housing areas. Mills like Chipman use bark and waste as hog fuel for heat as did/does the great University of New Brusnswick.

The chipper out fit i saw last summer has a large drum on top and they must drop the stumps into the drum and they are chippe dup and then it blows them into a chip trailor just like a regular chipper. I m not sure what kind of money there would be in doing it?
Id sooner get into the biomass some factory in the united states has converted 40% on its energy usage to biomass i read in a magaizine a while back, but i think it would cost you a fortune to ship it anywhere. you will find some info on timberjacks bundler at http://www.timberjack.com/products/forest-energy/1490D.htm. It is quite the rig. You would also have to get some deal going with land owners and the contractors cutting the land i would suspect.

Both New Hampshire and Maine have wood-fired electric generators. The facility in NH will burn over 1800 tons of wood chips PER DAY to generate 50 megawatts.

Yoou can haul chips for paper quite a ways because it has a much higher value than just the BTU content relative to oil or coal. When you are gonna burn it you have to have a pretty efficient transportation. Many that are burning sawdust etc. have it as a waste product that must be disposed of. Experiments are being done pelleting hay and crop residue. You have to balance the energy input from all phases into the net return.

Here in Scandinavia we have a different forestry policy here than what you are used to.
We produce a lot of wood for paper industry. Stora Enso is almost the only owner so the information should not be hard to find.
I will see if I can find.

Latest posts

Back