Birch Repair Completed (?)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stumper

Stumper

One Man Band
Pondracer. While your Ipe wooden clamp blocks distribute the pressure load over several square inches I fear they will still be too restrictive and will cause damage to the Phloem and cambial zone. Through bolts with washers are the accepted means of bracing a split because they "crush" on a small enough area that the majority of the circumference is unaffected and can eventually cover the bolt heads and washers with woundwood. However, I look forward to the input of others-We continue to learn new techniques. Non-invasive Cabling has been a huge success. Perhaps non-invasive bracing will work also. If the system you are using does work it will definitely require periodic loosening of the clamps to allow for stem expansion/growth.

jason j ladue

jason j ladue

Vanilla Snoop
pondracer,
the through bolts look pretty good. nice work. stumper is making some sense about the blocks though. they just dont seem right. i still dont think that tree will be able to make any kind of long-term recovery. as you said, that stem may last several more years, and that may satisfy you. the one thing that tree has going for it is that is a young(er) specimen- still has lots of energy for repairing it's self. you'll have to keep us posted as time goes on...best of luck to you both :angel:

Latest posts