Bizarre Finds Aloft

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guy Meilleur

Guy Meilleur

Addicted to ArboristSite
Any bizarre stories about defects found while aloft that you would have ever noticed from the ground?"

There were 2 small cavities at old branch scars in a big white oak. Big hollow inside connected them. folks understood it was a coon nest when I showed them a pic of the coons' poop pile on top of a nearby branch.

xander9727

xander9727

The Silverback
I found a cavity in a black locust today with squirrel in it. He wouldn't shut up or leave so I slapped him with the Zubat. That learned him.:D

Sorry RJS if he was a relative I hope you're in the will.

dbeck

dbeck

ArboristSite Operative
funny how this has started out relating to tree critters...I once had a whole family of coons w/o momma around. Another time sawed througha red oak stem(24") and just happened to cut approx 6" above a squirrel nest. Momma came flying at my face...I managed to dodge her on her 40' flight to the ground. Last yr. we found a carcass of a rabbit 25' aloft...must have been a owl or hawk or something.

kf_tree

kf_tree

Addicted to ArboristSite
guy

about a year ago i was pruning a big elm in brooklyn. there was 2 of us in the tree, there was actually room for 4 climbers. in the big lower crotchs there were piles of poop, on the big leads there were poop every where there was poop. a while ago a big lead was removed and thats where the big old racoon was living.

we kept looking over to make sure he didn't decide to wander out.

kf_tree

kf_tree

Addicted to ArboristSite
a while back i was running ropes when the climber yelled " watch your head" and down came a bicycle. it got thrown into the tree from an apartment building.

i was once in a tree by an apartment buildind where the tree had about 50 blow darts in it. then i started thinking......i hope the guys out of darts.

i also lowered a bicycle from a tree once.

the greasy tree over the restaurant exhaust vents did wonders for my ropes.

i'll have to think about it some.............i'm sure there's alot more...........

treegeek

treegeek

ArboristSite Member
i found a bike in a tree once too - what is the deal with that?! it was maybe 50 ft up a big doug fir in the middle of a yard, ie someone climbed the tree with the bike at some point. i thought that was weird.

my favorite free-climb tree, a giant sequoia at volunteer park (not the comp tree) lost its lead maybe 10 yrs ago and put up 3 new leaders which now make a nice place to sit and watch the sunset from 100 ft or so - where the old top died out there was a hollow for a while where i found a marble one time. guess i'm not the only one who climbs that old tree.
k.

arboromega

arboromega

ArboristSite Operative
good post guy.
i was marking park boundry lines years ago when i worked for the state of wv parks. in the middle of nowhere i found a crankshaft sticking halfway out of a trunk. the other half was in the tree.
i also found a geiser in the top of a silver maple...was drilling into it to run a cable and struck water, about a gallon poured onto to me in mid winter, no visible cavity on the leader. nice rotten stink.

MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster

TreeHouse Elder
As I was gearing up/eyeballing the tree I was about to climb, I noticed a squirrel eyeballing me back. He was about 40 feet up in a hollow, with his head and front part of his body looking down at me.
I was curious why he didn't haul arse as I ascended towards him.

Sure enough, as I got to him, he was dead. I poked at him with my saw, and he remained motionless. I said "SHEET!"
He was fresh, not decomposed at all. It was like he died of old age, I couldn't believe it. I yelled at the groundies, and chunked him down.

They were agog, and agape.

:p

John Stewart

John Stewart

ArboristSite Guru
I kind of saw the same thing one time but it was his tail and back legs stickin out the hole!
I pulled on his tail but nothin stone dead.
I guess the little fellow gorged himself and got stuck going home.
Sad!:laugh:
Later
John

kf_tree

kf_tree

Addicted to ArboristSite
a while back when i was ski patroling in vt there was a big boulder lodged in a high crotch of a birch tree. it got placed there when they were blasting the ski trail.

Dan F

Dan F

ArboristSite Operative
Some of you may recall the thread that Menchofer started quite a while back....

There's a state park here in Indiana that has rocks *in* the trees. Big rocks. The kicker is no one know how they got there.

I don't think I've ever found anything aloft, but I've had two raccoons come running out of a red oak that I flopped in the woods for firewood... Same tree that I'd shot a 'coon out of a couple of years before.:)

Dan

Latest posts