Black Gum Tree Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noah

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Black Gum Question

Not sure if this is the right forum for topic, but it is one of my favorites.
My brother has a big old Black Gum tree in his yard that has brown leaves. He said that his search showed a blight in the south that is killing off all of them. He lives in WV and wants me to take it for firewood, etc. My questions are, 1. Should it be cut down, or wait to see if it recovers? It was healthy last year, and only has a healed opening on the bottom. I'm guessing its over 70' high.
2. If he insists on me hauling it out, do you think that a logging company would find it worth to harvest it from his yard, and (split?) the value of sale, or is it firewood. Anyone know if it has comercial value in WV? Some are selling directly overseas.

Thanks,

eq

ps: I'm having a hard time finding any good pics of finished product. Thought it might make a couple good knife handles. Anybody know?

There's many species of gum, a black one could mean an Ironbark.

Can youget some pics please of both the trunk area where itmeets the ground, and overall and some close up on foliage.

Gums are evergreens and browning leaves is a bad sign.

Ekka,

I don't have any pics, but I'll try to get some tomorrow. The opening on the bottom has been there at least for several years. As to the bark for ID. It has a deep bark pattern resembling an alligator's hide.

Black Gum

Noah , Black Gum has an interlocking grain that makes it very difficult to split . I would think that the lumber milled would make decent sheathing . Also tool handles would be strong . My neighbor has a poarch that has sheathing from the 1940's sawn from Black Gum .

If we can't get some decent value out of the tree in terms of paper $, maybe I can pay someone w/a portable mill to saw it up in boards so I can use it to replace my porch. BTW Scott, I'd like to use raw lumber w/a homemade fungacide treatment, or wood preservative to keep it's natural look, rather than paint. Do you know if it holds up like locust? Excuse my ignorance, but what's "sheathing?"

I'll see if I can get pics tomorrow.

Oh, that's some fake gum, I was thinking eucalyptus.

I haven't got a clue about those things.

Usages

I'm still trying to find any good uses for it other than a big shade tree, fruit for critters, etc. If anyone comes across it in a finished wood gallory, I'd be interested in seeing representative samples. ps: Here's one sample. http://www.delmano.com/artists/wood/jJordan/portfolio01.htm Lots of great looking turner sites but, Couldn't find much else for this tree.

Scott, thanks for the definition of sheathing. I'm guessing that the interconning grain allows the boards to be sliced thin for applications that would normally require plywood?

I don't mind renting a gas splitter, but since my friend moved, I have no access to a truck for hauling. It looks like I'll either have to pay, or find a logger that thinks its worth picking up that one tree. If I don't want it, my brother is going to just put out free ads for free firewood. What would you guys do in my steel toed boots?

Noah

Last edited:
Nysa sylvatica is probably my favorite tree. In fall it produces the most vibrant colors in the forest. It also can grow in the most beautiful shapes forming beautiful tiers much like a jap maple. Its slow growth has prevented its commercial usage. I've heard that it is also one tough tree. Maybe you can save it.

Treeco,
It's in a good location, and gets watered from household sink drainage daily. If you read the first post you'll see the reason my brother has for removing it. Personally, I'd give it another year and TCL and hope for the best. Since its going to come down, even though I would hope that it stays up, would it be much good for any other use dead?

" Its slow growth has prevented its commercial usage. I've heard that it is also one tough tree. Maybe you can save it."

I've been hoping that might be the case, but as much as I tried, my bro and sister in law won't change their minds about trying to save it.

Learn something new everyday I guess. I don't know what Nyssa species we have here in N. Florida, but the one I'm familiar with grows in swamps, bogs, and along rivers/streams, grows very SLOW has very hard wood and is one of teh first trees to lose its leaves and the last to get them back. They come big....sounds like this species might be different. Wish you could get some pics maybe that would help these arbo guys decide if that tree has a chance or not.

TreeCo said:
Sorry about that. I have been reading along but had forgot at this point that you had said the tree had brown leaves and may be dead.

Im not familiar with making lumber so I can only share with you my experience with splitting black gum.

I burn some black gum but I can only split it two ways on my 50,000lb. log splitter. With my 4 way wedge off my ram stops about 2 inches short of my two way wedge(mechanical limit). I have to push that last two inches past the wedge with the next piece of wood. I can only pull it apart rarely. This adds to the time it takes to split but once you get it down it's not bad. It burns with a bright yellow flame and lights off easily. It's also a fairly light wood.

Sounds like it doesn't burn very hot either?... I already have a lot of weeping willow that is ready for winter. If its not much better, I'm guessing that its not worth the trouble to get someone to split the load and the time and money to rent a big splitter. I'll probably make like a tree and leave it to someone else. Its a shame. I hate to see a nice tree like that one die or go to waste.

My experience with willow is that it burns real hot like pine, but like any softwood, it doesn't last very long......as far as the black gum, I have no opinion, but if it burns like Nyssa Aquatica, its better than willow, IMO.

Latest posts

Back