Black Ice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Axe Man

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Got caught in the storm driving through Quebec when we came across some black ice.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

First time since my daughter was born, 28 years ago that all the family wouldn't be together at Christmas. We've been very lucky. My wife and I moved about 900 miles away to a new home, so the kids aren't too handy. But mommy wanted to see them. Pack up the truck and drive straight through ( 13 hours ) to Toronto to see my daughter before she leaves for Calgary 2 day visit then another 4 hour drive to North Bay to visit our 3 sons.A nice 2 day visit then back on the road. We stop in Ottawa to visit some friends for a couple of hours then back on the road. Things are going good until we hit some snow about halfway through Quebec. Stop for supper by the time we finish, snow has stopped so I thought i'd keep pushing. About 40 miles down the road, for no reason the truck starts to slide sideways and as I start to correct, the wheels hit bare pavement and grab sending us into a double spin and when se stopped we were sitting on top of a railing, teetering, and looking into a 20 foot deep ravine with the smell of gas leaking from my just filled tank.

Ouch!

Well the good news is you are here to post you are OK.

And the bright side is you can start looking for a new toy!

the woodsman

the luck of the woods, so glad your ok!you might need a bigger horse! consider a GMC sierra, mines 1997 1500series, very very good horse, over 400,000 km and still strong as an oxe. Was the woods man i am sure.

Thanks cnice_37. We're still sitting in a hotel room in rural Quebec waiting for our insurance broker to open ( closed for the hollidays ). We have a number to phone in case of emergencies. They told us to wait for the brokers office to open. Don't know why they have an emergency number. So I'm in rural Quebec and cant speak French. Nothing to do but go on line and cruise Arborist Site and look for a replacement vehicle as you suggested. But our visits with the kids seem even nicer now.

Great to hear that only a car has been damaged!

Good luck with your insurrence!

Happy new year!

Yesterday I was on the way to my chainsaw guy, when a gust of wind hit my blazer off I went hit a ravine and rolled it, I did not get hurt just a little shaken up, but the handle on my jonsered did break, and I found one on the chainsawr link. Glad you are ok sometimes we need these things to wake us up.

Thanks cnice_37. We're still sitting in a hotel room in rural Quebec waiting for our insurance broker to open ( closed for the hollidays ). We have a number to phone in case of emergencies. They told us to wait for the brokers office to open. Don't know why they have an emergency number. So I'm in rural Quebec and cant speak French. Nothing to do but go on line and cruise Arborist Site and look for a replacement vehicle as you suggested. But our visits with the kids seem even nicer now.

Any time I was ever in rural Quebec, there was always a bar / strip joint in easy walkin' distance of any hotel. :yoyo:

Gladto hearyou are OK

I am glad to hear you are ok. Try calling around regarding your insurance. I'm sure you could arrange a rental car etc before waiting until next week.

You maybe better off cleaning it out and heading home in your own rental in any case.
Be sure to keep all your receipts for every last penny so you can justify your claim.
Also try looking on Kijiji.ca for vehicles. Plenty of good trucks to choose from.

Best of luck.

Glad you folks are OK. I drove truck for 30 years and that black ice is the worst. I was always luckiy and never had a accident. I sure don't miss the road in the winter. Take a rental home and have a happy new year.

glad to hear ur ok, a bigger truck wouldnt help in the ice the only thing that conquers ice is chains! wish u luck with the insurance and the finding a replacement vehicle,happy holidays:cheers:

Back