black walnut market

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am wondering what the market for black walnut is looking like at this time. Somebody told me that it can either be very valuable wood, or worthless depending on how the market swings.

Got 1 tree, probably just shy of 1 MBF, wondering if it's even worth it to send to the mill.

I haven't sold any logs yet, but last week was told by a local sawmill that they are paying fifty to eighty cents/bf, depending on quality. Thats delivered to them, and meeting minimum size requirements.

Whats a MBF?

I was actually able to find a mill this morning that is interested in the wood. Had to call several places to find a buyer. The gentleman told me that it can vary in prices from $0.50 / bf for a grade 2 sawlog to $2.00 / bf for rotary veneer. Interestingly enough, this guy is located on Long Island. Figure a solid 2 hrs each way.

what are the typical minimum size requirements? I have a some black walnut that needs to be taken down because of overcrowding and few that are on the riverbank and will be in the river soon if not taken down, but they are nowhere near mature. They range in size from 8" to 20"

Thanks,

Jim

Back