Black Widows?!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

groundup

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have found three since last week. One had a nest against a log I was cutting, the other was on one of my wedges when I picked it up and the third was CRAWLING UP MY LEG! while I was splitting.

Anybody else have them in abundance? Been bit?

I'm not too worried, it seems like bites are rare and not life threatening. Just not my preferred choice of company.

19582.jpg
http://www.umm.edu/graphics/images/en/19582.jpg

When I lived in Florida, I got bit on the arm by a Black Widow. Might not be deadly too most. But, it was the most painful 11 days I've ever been thourgh. My arm was about the size of my leg. I couldn't let my arm hang down by my side, the pain would be unbearable. Went to the doctor every day so he could check on it. The 11th day it started to drain. When it got all drained, The bite was a hole about 1/4 inch in diameter. In the hole you could see a green thing. I took a pair of tweezers and pulled this "what looked like a giant loogie" out of my arm. After I pulled that out. It looked like someone took a 1/4 inch drill and drilled a hole straght down to the bone. 36 years later, You can still see the scar.
I've heard, for some people, it's no worse than any other spider bite. Some people, go though what I went though. Some people die from it. So, I guess you won't know til you try it. Have fun.:msp_smile:

Never seen one. Brown recluse is another story. Got em in the wood piles, house and garage. I'm not really scared of them and have been bit. Not fun. Glue traps and spray keeps them down. They say "once a recluse house, always a recluse house" ,wonder if it's that way with black widows? Be careful!

I started my 2014 wood pile this week. No black widows but wolf spiders seem to be in abundance. I've not been bitten nor do I know anyone who has been bitten but they just look a mite intimidating, especially the big ones.

I have found three since last week. One had a nest against a log I was cutting, the other was on one of my wedges when I picked it up and the third was CRAWLING UP MY LEG! while I was splitting.

I'm not too worried, it seems like bites are rare and not life threatening. Just not my preferred choice of company.

That is why Military pants have drawstrings on them at the ankle and you tuck them into your boots.That way the critters will walk up on the outside of your pants.

I was bit back in school (70's) down in Cali; they sure make you feel chitting for a while

I hate 'em !

I've posted it before. Spray and bomb the heck outta everything!!

I've seen the results while taking images of the damage they do via plain film x-ray as well as doing an MRI on a persons leg and just a couple weeks ago of a guys hand..his thumb will probably never work again! IT AINT PRETTY and IT AINT CHEAP to get the problems resolved from these vile creatures.

Insecticides, whether sprays, powders, aerosol bombs,, they are in-expensive in comparison to the medical costs associated with these bites. I use 'em all around my place.

KILL 'EM!! KILL 'EM ALL!!!

:msp_unsure: :msp_ohmy: Well.. sure glad i live far enough north that kills the creepy crawlies. I would sooner deal with my black bears, cougars and mean moose.

I used to see two or three a year aroud here,however this year it has been just crazy how many black widows i've come across,dam things are all over the place. I dont know what the hell has changed around here that they seem to thrive so well, go'na make me a holster so i can carry two can's of wasp spray with me at all times,seems to work pretty well. I say kill'em all,let god sort'em out later:msp_thumbup:

if you kill all the spiders enjoy the extra moths and mosquitos

We had a pretty warm winter last year. No snow either. I wonder if that is part of why we have so many this year.

Back