Blades are spinning at idle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff J Greilich

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a few saws that seem to be idling fine, but the blade still spins at idle. What are some of the reasons/fixes for this? Thanks!

I have a few saws that seem to be idling fine, but the blade still spins at idle. What are some of the reasons/fixes for this? Thanks!
Chain...not blade.[emoji16]

Adjust the idle screw so the saw runs slower. Sometimes the engine simply runs too fast, and the clutch is always engaged.
If this does not fix the problem, you may need to replace the clutch springs.

Ok thanks, happysaws.

ValleyFirewood, I'll see you tonight at The Comedy Shack :)
I've seen a gummed up sprocket bearing and a rusted sprocket bearing cause your condition. Have you cleaned and greased the sprocket bearing ?

Check for weak or broken clutch springs even worn or elongated holes.
Worn, defective or just plain old crudded up clutch drum bearings.
As previously mentioned, carb problems & air leaks could also be a possibility.

Check for weak or broken clutch springs even worn or elongated holes.
Worn, defective or just plain old crudded up clutch drum bearings.
As previously mentioned, carb problems & air leaks could also be a possibility.

I agree. At, around or about 3200 rpms chains should start to turn. If, it does it below that speed it is a clutch problem.

The correct term is bar and chain. Not blade.

Like in SMAW welding you use "electrodes" but if you ask for so more "rod" everyone knows what you're talking about even though you're not doing TIG or OFW.

Personally, I sharpen the "cutters" or "teeth" and try to keep the "chain" smooth and clean...

Back