Blake's hitch binding up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack76

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I bought a new 16 strand safety blue climbing line. I put a Blake's hitch on a traditional climbing system and proceeded to cut some branches off an oak too close to a house. When I went to descend the hitch would not release. I jostled it about up and down but it was frozen in place. Finally I had a leatherman on me and took out the screwdriver section and kept poking at the turns to separate them. After many tries I got to move the Hitch and then descended.
I have never had the hich bind up before on my old line.
Has anyone had this problem?
I just do this work for friends not for a living but being stuck up a tree was a little nerveracking.
My neighbor was home and I had a cellphone to call so I did have an out.

Wow. Please don't dig on your hitch with anything. Learn to do a simple footlock on the tail of the rope and you can take enough weight off the hitch to loosen it with your free hand. I haven't used a blakes in a number of years but I can't ever recall one locking up that tight if it's tied properly.
Phil

Small wood I did the footlock to no avail. I used the phillips end but you are right I should not have dug anything in there. Once the hitch loosend everything was fine. I thought it might have been because it was a new rope.

Never heard of that!!! are you sure you tied a blake####ch?

LXT............

Blake's Hitch

I Tied it according to Tree Climbers companion and used it earlier that day on my older climbing line. I switched to my new line and tied it the same way. I kept it down at the workshop so tomorrow I will check it out. After the footlock did not work for me I sat on a branch and that is when I worked on the knot with the phillips end. After it loosened it worked up and down fine but I will double check tomorrow. Seeing this doesn't happen to anyone else I must have screwed up somehow. Tomorrow I will go practice again at a much lower height like 3 or 4 feet .

When I used the Blake's in the past I did have it bind on me also but never to the point where I would need to pry it apart. Binding was one of the reasons that I stopped using it altogether.

racerx
I did come across another post on another site that experienced a binding problem but he weighed over 300 lbs. I 'm about 200 and have used the blake before and never had a problem.
I will experiment with other means of ascending now.

racerx
I did come across another post on another site that experienced a binding problem but he weighed over 300 lbs. I 'm about 200 and have used the blake before and never had a problem.

If you've never had a problem then maybe it's your new rope. Maybe some else who climbs Safety Blue with a Blake's can chime in.

racerx

I am 270 and when I did use a blakes I cant remember it ever binding bad, especially to a point like that. You tied or dressed it wrong, not sure how its pretty easy to tie.

Last edited:
I used the blakes very briefly many years ago and although it didn't bind as bad as you described, it just didn't run slick enough for me. I climbed for a lot of years on safety blue with a 3 coils on bottom, 2 coils on top prussic. That ran a lot smoother than a blakes and worked very will with my safety blue and big blue ropes. Of course you need to make sure you use a stopper knot and dress and set the knot properly which goes for any knot.

If it is binding to the point that you are having to jab it with a screw driver then something is seriously wrong. Binding like that is indicative of being heavily loaded or else you are getting you blakes wrong and using a different knot.

I'm 275 and have had it lock on me, Arborplex on Arborplex. When I switched to Bee-line for a pursick life went a LOT easier! Arborplex is notoriously slick but for some reason two combined get sticky!
I also learned I had to tweak things on a VT going from Arborplex to Poison-hy-v to make everything happy. Added a twist and took a turn out.
It's about being able to fine tune your gear to you, what is written is a base line if you will, if it's grabby take a turn out, if it's slick put a turn in, just stay low and play with the systems until you learn what works for you!

I am a total rookie but this is what I have found. A new safety blue has a coating or something on it that makes it sticky or to have more friction. I tried climbing with a new rope and wore myself out before I had gone up 5 feet. Once the rope is used and starts to fuzz and soften all this sticking problem will probably go away. I use a modified blakes hitch (sometimes called a B53) which gives a little more friction for grip but also seems not to load up so tight.

Jwp

From one rookie to another. maybe that was the problem because today it works much better.
But I will take the advice of the other replies too and fine tune my techniques.

I am 270 and when I did use a blakes I cant remember it ever binding bad, especially to a point like that. You tied or dressed it wrong, not sure how its pretty easy to tie.
What combo are using now? I'm about your weight at 250#. I'm using 3/8 beeline on 16 strand arbormaster tied with a klemheist. Works ok for 10 - 15 feet then locks up kinda hard.

Thanks,
Tom

i prefer a tautline hitch, you can tie it with one hand, tho i usually go under twice, over once unless i want to be sure it doesnt slip, then under twice over twice
it will slip a little occasionally, just give the tail a tug to prevent this but i havent ever had it bind so tight it left me hanging
there are pros and cons to any friction hitch i guess

What combo are using now? I'm about your weight at 250#. I'm using 3/8 beeline on 16 strand arbormaster tied with a klemheist. Works ok for 10 - 15 feet then locks up kinda hard.

Thanks,
Tom

7/16th line with 8mm beeline and a distel hitch.

7/16th line with 8mm beeline and a distel hitch.

Thanks stihl, I think I might try the distel again. Last time I tried it was with 5/16 ice tail and it locked hard. With the distel does it matter how long the hitch is?(the cord left over after the hitch is tied). The ice I was using probably had a foot of cord left over to hook to the biner.

Thanks stihl, I think I might try the distel again. Last time I tried it was with 5/16 ice tail and it locked hard. With the distel does it matter how long the hitch is?(the cord left over after the hitch is tied). The ice I was using probably had a foot of cord left over to hook to the biner.

To tell you the truth I use a very short prusik like maybe 22-24" just enough to do a four wrap distel and clip to biner and I use an williams ball lock with a micro pully between the legs of the distel for tending. The set up seems to run very smooth.

I climb with a blakes and and new england rope and i have had a similar experience. Now i take three turns on the top, and it slides nice and easy. Im also 210 Lbs.

Latest posts

Back