Blakes Hitch Malfunction?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eagan

Reaction score
Hey guys i'm an arborist trainee and recently purchased a climbing set up. Im using the micro pulley hitch advancement system with a petzl tibloc, the same set up in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COnJtt4Jf-Q. I climbed for the first time yesterday and got about halfway up when my blakes hitch malfunctioned and no longer had the ability to slide down. Im wondering is this because I tied the knot incorrectly or does this system have the potential to compromise the blakes in some way? Does this system only work with a prusik hitch?

As for the Blakes it will bind up like that at times. You may want to try buying a few different kinds of rope and making a few single eye split tails. Let us know what you are climbing on and people here will tell you combinations that they have found that run well together... no reason to reinvent the wheel.

Last edited:
my climbing line is an XTC 12-Strand 1/2” Rope and i'm using a 1/2" True Blue Sewn Eye Split tail. I purchased the entry level climbing kit from wesspur.com. As far as the blake binding up, what can be done about that while in the tree? Obviously find a place to stand and re-tie the knot but what can you do, if anything, if you are suspended in the air with no where to stand?

my climbing line is an XTC 12-Strand 1/2” Rope and i'm using a 1/2" True Blue Sewn Eye Split tail. I purchased the entry level climbing kit from wesspur.com. As far as the blake binding up, what can be done about that while in the tree? Obviously find a place to stand and re-tie the knot but what can you do, if anything, if you are suspended in the air with no where to stand?

Have you tried a Blakes 53, 3 wraps followed by 2? or are you just using 2 and 2?

I see the 12-strand came with your climbing kit, other than very inexpensive, I find any 12 strand is a very poor climbing line. The large strands will bind the hitch but try the B53 and see if it helps.

I agree try 5/3 or 5/2 setup. When this happens just pull yourself up a hair just enough to slide the hitch up and it'll release then slide down as normal.

Hi I just switched over from the system you are running to an eye to eye split tail system but when I was doing a blakes on a split tail I found that I used a smaller diameter split tail than what my rope was and it was beeline I don't really know if that makes a difference but it might. Also try either finding or making a split tail from the same rope as what your climbing line is this also may help. Hope that helps...

-Random

my climbing line is an XTC 12-Strand 1/2” Rope a......

The 12-Strand product description you have......."XTC 12-strand is s a “nubbier” hollow braid offering...."

"nubbier" doesn't sound fun to slide a hitch over, next chance try a double braid, I think you will see a big difference.

honestly the best answer to me is spend $30 on an eye to eye as mentioned and switch over to something like a distel.

Double braids will be much smoother. Adding a wrap to the blakes will help some, you can also add a friction device to the system to spread the friction out more, that will help the blakes to run looser.

Blake's Hitch

When using a Blake's hitch, the capture can often get bound up.View attachment 301325 That part that comes down and captures the bridge will often need to be loosened. When you loosen it loosen it slightly, then put weight on it slowly while buck-strapped in, in-case you loosened it too much. What part of Mass are you from, I have been climbing for a few years, if you need help learning the "ropes" (had to hahahaha) I'm almost always around.

Are you setting the blakes properly? When I started I used to tie it to tight and it would bind every time im a heavier guy too..... I use 16 strand samson .... arbor pod on youtube has alot of instructions on knots and how to dress and set

how hard the blakes bites usually has to do with how much friction you have at your anchor (weight on the hitch). if you use a friction saver, its going to be real hard to break. over a big rough limb and it will barely grab. if you pull on your tail end like a hip thrust just enough to slack your bridge, you can roll the hitch open a touch. it sounds like a lot but once you get some time with it, its second nature. the blakes is a very predictable, very reliable hitch. i wouldn't be so quick to try something else. the rope will fail before it slips. i use a klemheist, schwabish, prussic and blakes. the klemheist hitch is most known for drt footlocking but its a great hitch. it breaks easy and bites nice.

hitch breakdown

blakes for split tail
schwabish for lanyard
prussic for 2 in 1 lanyard
klemheist for redirect line (i carry a 30' 8mm rope for this and love it!)

I dont use the blakes much anymore, I use the Schwabish eye and eye and it's great! When I used the blakes I used to love it as well, and I always climbed on a 16 strand blue streak and used the same as a split tail meaning a blue streak single eye to tie my blakes and I NEVER had an issue with it ever! like some of the other posts they are right on with the 12 strand rope binding more, I think you will really love the 16 strand combo and then when you try the 24 strand it's even nicer! :msp_sneaky:

Latest posts

Back