blast cabinets .

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Tsc bench model and for small jobs it works great. Big jobs I do outside with a pressurized one.:msp_scared:

i love my blast cabinet,and oh what a finnish those walnut shells do for chainsaws!

:D

Nice shop:rock: I bet thoses walnut shells really do a good job, I never thought of that. I use them in my reloading tumblers. They do an excellent job on brass!

Blaster Cabinet Stainless

I built this one about ten years ago. I was at a local college auction and they sold this stainless incubator. I bought it and a pile of flat stainless panels for 35.00. It had the holes for the gloves, lights in the top,receptacles inside that I will never use, it already had the air line with a shut off valve. I had to buy the gloves, I picked those up at my uncles military surplus store for 1.00 pair, I still have about 10 extra pair. I used a cheap HF gun. I used the flat panels and made the bottom triangle for the media return. A friend gave me some round stainless pipe for the legs. I am probable the only one on here with a stainless bead blaster cabinet.

Later
DanView attachment 270821 View attachment 270822

I built this one about ten years ago. I was at a local college auction and they sold this stainless incubator. I bought it and a pile of flat stainless panels for 35.00. It had the holes for the gloves, lights in the top,receptacles inside that I will never use, it already had the air line with a shut off valve. I had to buy the gloves, I picked those up at my uncles military surplus store for 1.00 pair, I still have about 10 extra pair. I used a cheap HF gun. I used the flat panels and made the bottom triangle for the media return. A friend gave me some round stainless pipe for the legs. I am probable the only one on here with a stainless bead blaster cabinet.

Later
DanView attachment 270821 View attachment 270822

Impressive!!!!!!!!!!!:msp_smile:

I have a hf floor sand blast cabinet. No real complaints. I use my shop vac to suck out the dust so i can see. Make sure if you buy a hf one, that you take it apart before you use it and reseal all the joints. Trust me, you will thank me later.

Graybear is right, silicosis is no joke. Use a respirator AND a vacuum.

I have two Cyclone cabinets, a benchtop and a floor standing cabinet. It's a US company, not too expensive. Cabinets are plastic, which I like -- no seams. In addition to "always use a vac and a respirator," my advice is:

HF refrigerated inline air dryer. Not free, but way cheaper than a name brand, and works.

Replaceable film for window, and replace it frequently.

Drain media from cabinet after every use and seal it in a plastic bucket with a silica gel dehumidifier pack. Or, what I do, is drain a little media into the bucket, then drop in a ceramic light fixture with a 60-watt bulb, leave cord hanging out. Drain in the rest of the media, drop in cord, seal it up. A couple of hours before I use it next, I pull the cord out and plug it in. The light bulb heats up and cooks off the moisture. I put the fixture (after it cools) in the bottom of the cabinet while blasting; the heat keeps moisture away. You might not need to do this in, say, Albuquerque, but here humidity can be killer.

Add a vibrator to the outside of the hopper to keep the media draining to the siphon pickup. The dryer the media the less of a problem this is, but I attached an old aquarium pump to the back wall of the chute. Just enough vibration to keep the media settled but not enough to be annoying.

Keep an eye on the nozzle. They get hogged out and then they don't work very well. I find that just making my own by drilling a hole through the center of some 1/2" steel rod works as well as the ones you buy and they usually last longer. I just use whatever I have. Had some stainless that worked really well, but any steel is fine.

Plan on a big compressor. Even a little blast cabinet is an air hog. I used a 60-gal single stage for a while which worked ok, then got an 80-gal two-stage that works better. I started with a little roll-around compressor, which didn't work very well at all. Better than sanding by hand, but more of a vigorous scrubbing than really blasting, and had to stop to let the compressor catch up all the time.

Latest posts

Back