Blaze King Classic Woodstoves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have an old blaze king insert works great in my non insulated, drafty, 2000 sq ft home. fill it about 2-3 times a day. i guess it was a bargain @ $100. i know a guy (buddies dad) that has the free standing version of my stove in an earth contact with with an above ground second level. he has had that stove for over 20 years and when the blower finally quit he didnt even replace it because the radiant heat was sufficiant. i remember when i used to spend the night over there i couldnt even sleep because it was so hot!

Rich,
I too have become very intrigued with the King Classic. In fact, I called a couple dealers yesterday morning to get some ideas on pricing.

Sadly, it appears they somewhat recently must have significantly increased the price on them (possibly because the price run-up on steel and transportation costs this past summer). I talked to a couple of guys who bought this stove, or were quoted prices, and I was told under $2k for this stove within the last year or so, but the lowest price I heard yesterday was around $3100. Although, keep in mind I only contacted two dealers, one in CT and one in MA, and I didn't push them on the price.

I'm not saying this stove isn't worth $3k+, but that's a hard pill to swallow for a steel stove when you can buy something like an 30-NC for around $600 this time of year at the big box stores. Apples to oranges yes, but you can't begin to convince me the BK costs anywhere near $2500 more to manufacturer!

Anyway, while I certainly don't 'need' a BK Classic, I still want one. The idea of once a day reloads and all the heat I'd ever want rapped up into one stove more or less has me sold. It's ugly, but that doesn't really matter to me because it would be going in my finished basement.

Since I'm in no hurry (other than the burning desire to get one), I think I'm going to wait a while for demand to cool down a little. I suspect with the economy in the toilet, raw material and transportation costs significantly reduced, and hitting the dealers during off season, I'm hope to find a much more reasonable deal on one of these stoves. If I can find another person or two (hint, hint) to sweeten the pot, that might help as well. But knowing guys were buying this same stove six months ago for $1900 has me believing paying $3,100 for one today is just way too much.

If you do some more searching and come across a seller that's willing to sell these at a more reasonable price, please let me know.
Yo WET1,there are only 2 dealers in Ma. presently and I called one of them recently regarding the Largest Blaze King and .
it's price.I think he said $3100.00 which surprized me since I first spoke to him about a year and a half ago and the pre-tax price then was $3400.00 so maybe I'll wait him out for the price to drop furthur.However if all the reports are true this is the stove to have.You'll burn less wood and have more heat and heat times.Thus save more money.In time you'll recoup your money.Even if these folks make these stoves for way less I don't mind paying a little more for quality and the peace of mind it brings.I'm hearing more and more of people that invested in less expensive stoves that are not getting the job done.It looks like many stoves are only suited to do an adequate job in well insulated homes.If your home is not well insulated as mine is forget it.Any stove that can perform well in a home that's not well insulated that's the stove for me.Blake King sounds like that stove so say many Alaskans with ridiculously sub zero temperatures.Another thing I've never heard of these new models going for any two grand.I don't know where these folks are coming from.The Blaze King manufactures must realize that they make a stove that delivers and that alone justifies a higher price.Why would they sell it for the same prices as the underachieving stoves?

Last edited:
From my dealer in Prince George, B.C. when I bought mine I had to order it 6 mths in advance. They are either high in demand and or don't make them in high enough volumes to meet the demand. I'm not an expert but it looks well crafted with nice welds and heavy gauge steel.

One other thing that set this stove apart from the others I looked over, is that the firebox base is really deep, about 9 inches below the door level to brick level where the logs sit. So you can get in more wood than other stoves, which equals longer times between refills and also there is no chance of a burning round rolling out, or a burning split falling off the stack, as I've seen happen more than once at friends places. With this one, coals stay in, ash stays in and you clean it only once every few months. That was a big feature for me after seeing what others have to deal with.

I just emptied the ash out of mine Sunday and it was still 2" below door level, not because I had to but because it was finally warm enough to do it before it gets cold again. I started burning full time in mid-September, so almost 4 mths ago.

Last edited:
I only recently realized how spoiled I am. I heat my 1700sq ft home with a "blaze princess." (Princess is a crappy name for a woodstove) Anyway, I was complaining how it couldnt keep up a couple weeks ago when it was -22 and I couldnt keep my living room at 80 degrees.

I think they are pretty good stoves.

I can vouch for how well they hold up mine was already used a few years when I got it and it was run wide open on oak day after day to heat a machine shop.

It has some warpage inside on one wall from overheating but outside the stove still looks as good as new. Mine has the glass door and the blowers and man they hold a lot of wood its not a lightweight either they weigh a small ton.

After reading what these are going for now I guess I got a deal on mine for $250 even back then.

Kansas

Yo WET1,there are only 2 dealers in Ma. presently and I called one of them recently regarding the Largest Blaze King and .
it's price.I think he said $3100.00 which surprized me since I first spoke to him about a year and a half ago and the pre-tax price then was $3400.00 so maybe I'll wait him out for the price to drop furthur.However if all the reports are true this is the stove to have.You'll burn less wood and have more heat and heat times.Thus save more money.In time you'll recoup your money.Even if these folks make these stoves for way less I don't mind paying a little more for quality and the peace of mind it brings.I'm hearing more and more of people that invested in less expensive stoves that are not getting the job done.It looks like many stoves are only suited to do an adequate job in well insulated homes.If your home is not well insulated as mine is forget it.Any stove that can perform well in a home that's not well insulated that's the stove for me.Blake King sounds like that stove so say many Alaskans with ridiculously sub zero temperatures.Another thing I've never heard of these new models going for any two grand.I don't know where these folks are coming from.The Blaze King manufactures must realize that they make a stove that delivers and that alone justifies a higher price.Why would they sell it for the same prices as the underachieving stoves?

Hi Rich,

I don't disagree with you at all regarding the merits of this stove, which is why I'm very interested in them myself. Regarding the sub $2k prices, I received that number from folks who paid this within the last year... one was one of the Alaskan owners from which you are probably referring to earlier. Regardless, today's price is what it is and I still see value in the product at this price given the unique virtues of this stove.

The Classic has be produced in its current configuration since 2002 and in a very similar design (the 1102) since the early 90's, so they have been on the market for a long time. In fact, BK has been making stoves since 1977. The folks to the north of us have been long time believers in this stove, but for some reason the brand hasn't really taken off (like some of the others) on our coast despite all the merits of these stoves. I suspect this is partly because they are located in WA/BC, high pricing (for steel stoves) likely has a lot to do with it as well.

Are you serious about buying one? If so, how soon?

Hi Rich,

I don't disagree with you at all regarding the merits of this stove, which is why I'm very interested in them myself. Regarding the sub $2k prices, I received that number from folks who paid this within the last year... one was one of the Alaskan owners from which you are probably referring to earlier. Regardless, today's price is what it is and I still see value in the product at this price given the unique virtues of this stove.

The Classic has be produced in its current configuration since 2002 and in a very similar design (the 1102) since the early 90's, so they have been on the market for a long time. In fact, BK has been making stoves since 1977. The folks to the north of us have been long time believers in this stove, but for some reason the brand hasn't really taken off (like some of the others) on our coast despite all the merits of these stoves. I suspect this is partly because they are located in WA/BC, high pricing (for steel stoves) likely has a lot to do with it as well.

Are you serious about buying one? If so, how soon?
HI WET1 I'm seriously considering the Blaze.I'm presently burning a Woodstock Fireview and a Hearthstone Mansfield.If I make a move On the Blaze King it'll replace the Mansfield in the cellar and the Mansfield will replace the Fireview on a first floor enclosed porch.I have a 8" flue in the basement so the King would be all set.If the purchase takes place it'll be after the winter.I don't feel like moving three very heavy stoves in the snow,ice and cold.You know from my experience forums have those supplying information and those supplying mis-information.So I'm hoping that the info on the Blaze King is accurate and not some deep ploy to sell units.If it is a con I won't know until it's set in place and burning.The draw back to it being a lemon is I probably won't be able to sell it since it's not a well known product in my area.I'll then be stuck with a very expensive piece of metallic junk.If I sell a soapstone stove they'll go without a problem because they're a desired product.However I'll either take the risk and get the King or I'll add more insulation to the house and keep everything as it is.

dealer in kansa city MO has the classic for $2300. how do i find info on my old blaze king??? tried a search and havent found much.

I find the BK names somewhat confusing & I actually don't like them, but my point being is that the Classic not only seems to fit several sizes overall, as well as a particular style. So if there is a "Classic" for sale for $2300, this you also need to determine what size it is? Is it the largest King size, or Princess size, or the Classic Size?

I own the Parlour style but the King size. I've never liked the "style" of the Parlour model, but it had the biggest top surface deck, which I wanted for pots and pans. It also has vents for blowers, but I didn't opt for blowers, as I just use radiant heat and being off grid and on batteries, I didn't want to use the extra power for a blower.

I prefer the look of the Ultra or Classic styles, which apparently most men do vs. women who mostly like the Parlour style, so the dealer told me, but both those styles decks in the King size were either smaller or compromised in size by a shelf, which reduced my pot size for cooking.

I have no vested interest in these stoves other than a happy user who could barely afford it in the first place.

Anyway, the models and names are confusing or just plain stupid. Small medium and large in styles like Ultra, Parlour and Classic, would have made more sense to me.

Good luck whatever you get. It's a damned hard and expensive decision but I honestly think you'd be happy with the BK other than the price I guess.

I can vouch for how well they hold up mine was already used a few years when I got it and it was run wide open on oak day after day to heat a machine shop.

It has some warpage inside on one wall from overheating but outside the stove still looks as good as new. Mine has the glass door and the blowers and man they hold a lot of wood its not a lightweight either they weigh a small ton.

After reading what these are going for now I guess I got a deal on mine for $250 even back then.

Kansas

Sounds crazy, but I run the damn thing wide open a lot, with seasoned oak and ash. I have a small crack to repair along the door, but their is no warping anywhere. mine is 20+ years old..not sure.

Anyway, the models and names are confusing or just plain stupid. Small medium and large in styles like Ultra, Parlour and Classic, would have made more sense to me.

That is exactly what they do. King is large size, Princess is medium size. As best as I can tell they don't make a small cat stove. Ultra, Parlour and Classic are the styles available in each size. Problem is using "King" as a size, when it is in the Brand Name, which maybe you are indicating as the confusing part. I guess it is, because when most people refer to the stove, they will indicate brand name and style, and leave out the size many times.

Oh well, at least I know what stove I want, just have to save up that money. The Blaze King Princess Ultra is at the top of my want list.

You guys need to let this thread die... I'm haven't a hard time telling myself I don't need a King right now and this thread isn't helping my cause! :chainsaw:

You guys need to let this thread die... I'm haven't a hard time telling myself I don't need a King right now and this thread isn't helping my cause! :chainsaw:
Well Wet1 after this next cold spell you'll probably definitely know if you'll need one or not.

ok... i work at daves body shop in trenton. woulnt be a leepers longhorns leeper would ya???

No, but live down there way and know who they are. Fortunately we have not given Dave any business this year, but we have in the past.

Is that Blaze King keeping up this morning? I'm running my old Earth Stove almost wide open, and the furnace is running way more than I would like.

Latest posts

Back