Blaze King Classic Woodstoves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen the Princess Model and King for sale used periodically, such as on Craig's List, but sadly not when I was looking. Hopefully the price will come down with the price of steel. I also think that if you buy in the spring, you might be able to deal better than now when everyone needs one.

The manual states no cat converter maintenace when the stove is burned hot and the cat in the active range. Once a year you can brush it off but they don't recommend anything more rough than that. My dealer said to do nothing to it until it seems to stop heating up, maybe once every 5 years or so. I've read of various things on the internet re: maintenance, but so far I'm trusting the manual.

I don't use a fresh air kit. I've read pros and cons to using or requiring it. I've read that if your house is that super sealed, then you might end up with problems from trapped vapour vs. using up all your air, or lose efficiency from heating warm air. If you go in and out of the house at all, that often is enough to provide some fresh air, or crack a window a touch if you're worried about it. I have two fresh air intakes into the basement but neither was intended precisely for the woodstove and neither feeds it directly. Both are in the basement where the woodstove sits. One is a 6" wide fresh air hose and sink intended to provide air for my wall mounted back up propane heater that I never use and have blocked it off since I put in the second air intake. I only ever use the propane heater as a backup for when I go away for a week or more in winter. The second air intake is the cat door, which leaks just enough to provide air when there is a draw. However during the coldest days, I cover that over with 4" of foam and duct tape to seal any leaks. I guess a 3rd air intake could be the slight bit of air that comes in from around my 2 year old basement metal door, which sadly had a cracked frame when I bought it but didn't see until I installed it and so the door is not sitting perfectly square inside the frame, but it's darned close but leaks a tiny bit.

I don't think that my house is super air tight anyway, at least not yet. I would like to improve the warm air and cool air gravity circulation. The main living room is my biggest problem due to the large and very old double pain windows that are basically R1 or R2 for insulation. It's an expensive fix and really is only noticeable during the -30 C days if you stand next to them.

I also live off grid and far from a town and filling my propane tank this summer (bad timing as the price halved 2 months later) is expensive. While another woodstove might be less expensive up front, I wasn't confident that others were less expensive to actually use or to fill with wood. I would not want to have to cut and hand split even more wood than I already do and I see it becomes more difficult as each year passes, now in my mid 50's and still in good health. I can't imagine even cutting double the cords of wood that I do now. My research had me figure that I'd want to pay now for a more efficient stove, than to pay later in labour or injury from cutting more wood. So far, my decision has proven me right, as I use much less wood than neighbours do in the same climate and much less than my old RSF stove did and in return, I'm getting more heat out of less wood and the bonus is, less pollution. Fortunately for me, I had the money, though barely to buy the stove. If I had to do it now, it would be a very difficult purchase, but I'd still do it. It is hard to wade through all the manufacturers advertising and efficiency hype, but I did find many users happy with the Cat version of the Blaze King and the Mfg tests seemed to be backed up by an independant lab, and my experience with it has been very good, so again I'm happy with my decision. I did A LOT of research and try to save money absolutely wherever I can, its even a sport for me. So spending extra on the Blaze King was not something that was a frivolous decision for me. And with out long term real world experience with other stoves, it's REALLY tough to make an absolute decision without taking some chance. I felt that in the end, I'd take a chance with the Blaze King more than I would with any other manufacturer.

Also, if our winter wasn't as long or as cold for weeks at a time as it can be, I'd have opted for the smaller Princess model and saved a few bucks, as the King is a touch too big for my place when the winter temps are normal and if I didn't have the one large wall full of windows. Hope this helps.
Hey Chip,you know I've read your post serveral times and each time I enjoy it more and more.So much so that due to your experiences with the Blaze King I'm going to make the move and get the Largest model.I haven't decided which make to get.I'll wait until after the winter and I pray my results with the stove are as good as yours.Thanks for sharing your story.

No, but live down there way and know who they are. Fortunately we have not given Dave any business this year, but we have in the past.

Is that Blaze King keeping up this morning? I'm running my old Earth Stove almost wide open, and the furnace is running way more than I would like.

unfortunate for us:mad: :mad: well my house isnt exactly air tight. started having insulation blown in last week, but the top floor isnt done yet. the furnace is running but much less than without the stove. figured out it is an old king model. with the insulation i think it will just about heat the house down to about 20 degrees. wish it was a cat model or freestanding. still makes a heck of a difference. i can only imagine what one 30 years newer would be like. its not even warm in the shop. i usually wear shorts @ work if its above 30 degrees. got my long johns on today and still cold. but the temp is all the way up to 0 now!!!

Last edited:
Rich, other than the price, I'd be surprised if you were disappointed with the Blaze King. At least by waiting to the end of the winter, you'll hopefully have time to compare brands and models and are in a region where you can do that.

Now that the cold spell has left much of B.C. and it's moved east and south, our temps are now just a few degrees above or below freezing, day and night, and my house is VERY warm, by just burning a a couple of splits with the temp gauge on 1 + a bit, basically the lowest setting while keeping the Cat active. I'm using a couple of splits of pine in at 7 a.m. to run all day and then 2-3 more in at 9-10 p.m. to burn all night. I've also got my upstairs office window open all day and night.

That's the drawback with the King or largest model, as for a small space you'll be maybe too warm on warmer days, or I guess that I could let the house cool off and let the fire go out and restart it in the morning or before bed vs. keeping it going 24/7?

Anyway, I've learned that with woodstoves, getting the temperature perfect is a finicky business at times. Better to be too warm I guess, than too cold. Plus it made hang drying 4 loads of laundry a quick job and now it all just needs to be folded and put away.

Last edited:
Rich, other than the price, I'd be surprised if you were disappointed with the Blaze King. At least by waiting to the end of the winter, you'll hopefully have time to compare brands and models and are in a region where you can do that.

Now that the cold spell has left much of B.C. and it's moved east and south, our temps are now just a few degrees above or below freezing, day and night, and my house is VERY warm, by just burning a a couple of splits with the temp gauge on 1 + a bit, basically the lowest setting while keeping the Cat active. I'm using a couple of splits of pine in at 7 a.m. to run all day and then 2-3 more in at 9-10 p.m. to burn all night. I've also got my upstairs office window open all day and night.

That's the drawback with the King or largest model, as for a small space you'll be maybe too warm on warmer days, or I guess that I could let the house cool off and let the fire go out and restart it in the morning or before bed vs. keeping it going 24/7?

Anyway, I've learned that with woodstoves, getting the temperature perfect is a finicky business at times. Better to be too warm I guess, than too cold. Plus it made hang drying 4 loads of laundry a quick job and now it all just needs to be folded and put away.
Hi Chip,it's stuns me to read of how so little wood burns for so long of a time.I'm just about drooling for this stove.I'm getting big stoves from now on no more messing around for me.I'm sending my Woodstock Fireview back to the manufactures.They give you a 6 month trial period with their stoves which is a beautiful way to do business.This stove is just too small for my big drafty house which showed during this coldest spell of weather.So I'll be using the oil for a few days while making the switch over.

......This stove is just too small for my big drafty house which showed during this coldest spell of weather.....

There in lies the rub of burn times, even for the Blaze King. If the house can't hold the heat, then to keep it warm you'll have to burn it hotter. Burn it hotter and the wood burns faster. My burn times are for my house, as described, in my old timer neighbours extremely drafty house, the Blaze King would be going through more wood there than I do. So he might look at the stove in his house and wonder what the hell I'm talking about with my burn times and wood use? But I'm pretty confident that it'd likely be less wood than he's using now, and he'd get way more heat out of it than what he's using now and it'd be much cleaner exhaust than the blue cloud that he produces now.

So along with a new stove, or maybe even instead of, you might do well to fix up the drafts? I did that when I bought this place and like the Blaze King, it has paid off for me.

There in lies the rub of burn times, even for the Blaze King. If the house can't hold the heat, then to keep it warm you'll have to burn it hotter. Burn it hotter and the wood burns faster. My burn times are for my house, as described, in my old timer neighbours extremely drafty house, the Blaze King would be going through more wood there than I do. So he might look at the stove in his house and wonder what the hell I'm talking about with my burn times and wood use? But I'm pretty confident that it'd likely be less wood than he's using now, and he'd get way more heat out of it than what he's using now and it'd be much cleaner exhaust than the blue cloud that he produces now.

So along with a new stove, or maybe even instead of, you might do well to fix up the drafts? I did that when I bought this place and like the Blaze King, it has paid off for me.
Chip thanks for your insight.I agree the drafts will have to be plugged which I'm doing now.Once done I may not need a new stove.The present one will surely function better and very well may be all the stove that I need.However the Blaze King still temps me,take care.

dealer in kansa city MO has the classic for $2300. how do i find info on my old blaze king??? tried a search and havent found much.
Hi psychO,your above thread had me saying ya right after my first reading.Then I began to think that in certain parts of the country the cost of living is less than others so the products may be less also.In my state Mass. living cost are some of the highest so these stove are not likely to see prices as low as you stated.So I looked north to Maine which has a lower cost of living and only one Blaze King Dealer.After we talked he offered me his floor model demo with gold door,fans,and tax included for$2300.00.Yesterday I drove a 8hr.round trip and got it.It's in my truck parked in the driveway waiting to be set up.It was a great day.I'll give an update once I have it up and running,take care and thanks for the mental spark.

I also think it makes a difference how old the stock is, as to how much the dealer has in the stove, or if they need to get it moved. We have two dealers in MO, across the state from one another, and they have significant price differences on certain models.

Rich L, congrats on the stove purchase. I'm anxious for an initial report, and then a follow up post on how that Blaze King is working for you.

I am particularly interested in the long low burn with a big stove, but you guys up north may be awhile before you get to test that out. There really isn't that much difference in the low burn output listed on the brochure between the King and the Princess, so is it just added firebox capacity that you get, or will the low burn be significantly hotter in the bigger stove?

I also think it makes a difference how old the stock is, as to how much the dealer has in the stove, or if they need to get it moved. We have two dealers in MO, across the state from one another, and they have significant price differences on certain models.

Rich L, congrats on the stove purchase. I'm anxious for an initial report, and then a follow up post on how that Blaze King is working for you.

I am particularly interested in the long low burn with a big stove, but you guys up north may be awhile before you get to test that out. There really isn't that much difference in the low burn output listed on the brochure between the King and the Princess, so is it just added firebox capacity that you get, or will the low burn be significantly hotter in the bigger stove?
Hi daleeper,well I set up the stove after breaking down the Fireview yesterday.I started the fire around supper time 6 pm,with kindling and some small splits.Once going good I filled her up.The next time I loaded up was 6am.Now that's what I'm talking about.Now it must be realized that I know nothing about the best way to operate the stove.I'm on trial and error mode until I get the hang of it.The stove produced plenty of good heat and I really didn't fill it as much as I could have.The stove is so big it looks like it wants to jump on you and devour you.I'm very excited to have this stove it truly burns hot and long.I can stay in bed even sleep late and this thing will still be doing it's job.I can go and come back from work and this machine will be doing its job.There's nothing else to want in wood burning for me.My journey has ended.My next job is to insulate the house in the off season and install an outside air kit this season.Next winter my house will saying Welcome To Miami.

Hi daleeper,well I set up the stove after breaking down the Fireview yesterday.I started the fire around supper time 6 pm,with kindling and some small splits.Once going good I filled her up.The next time I loaded up was 6am.Now that's what I'm talking about.Now it must be realized that I know nothing about the best way to operate the stove.I'm on trial and error mode until I get the hang of it.The stove produced plenty of good heat and I really didn't fill it as much as I could have.The stove is so big it looks like it wants to jump on you and devour you.I'm very excited to have this stove it truly burns hot and long.I can stay in bed even sleep late and this thing will still be doing it's job.I can go and come back from work and this machine will be doing its job.There's nothing else to want in wood burning for me.My journey has ended.My next job is to insulate the house in the off season and install an outside air kit this season.Next winter my house will saying Welcome To Miami.

Keep us posted. Im running a princess, and have a love/hate relationship with it.

Keep us posted. Im running a princess, and have a love/hate relationship with it.
Yo chainsaw,what do you mean a love/hate relationship with your princess.What's the problem and on the other hand why the love ? We're back into some cold weather starting tomorrow and extending into the weekend.I'll get to know the stove a little better during this next cold spell.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back