"Block" or "Step" notch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plunge Cut Ahead with Caution

You can come in with the bottom tip corner and trenchdown, then feed in pressing down as saw pulls itself along, not contacting ever the upper tip corner till buried into the sheath of the wood to jail it positively. So that the power of that upper corner can't whip the saw around, and the cut is made by the powerful captured tip's leveraged arc running from chainsaw power, feeding saw in automatically walking on bottom bar contact. As contact with the bottom of the bar draws operator/saw inward; so make deep enough cut that the top bar isn't contacted to push out of the cut. Highest torque is around tip corner's arc, the top half of that semicircle (bar tip) can be especially deadly if contacted in about any other fashion,than in this 'box'/jail. Kinda some strategic use, when other options are scarce i think. This is serious stuf with serious forces, no game, but doable! One of the extreme forces is heat build up in side the well insulated jail; so sharpest of chains, best of oiling, some letting it breathe with breaks if large cut, going quick, but easy , watching for the first whisp of smoke (to stop)etc. anything to strategize against heat build up.

The horizontal seperations in picture are fractures along the grain, so outside vertical cuts, must be close enough to the interior vertical plunge cut to allow the fracturing to seperate per pressure it bears. The pressure load casuing fracturing can be applied / triggered remotely as finish with proper force and direction, not necessarily constantly existing pressure, thus snapping/fracturing with saw operator clear.

Last edited:
Heck, Rescue, no conscientious chain saw operator DOESN'T cut with the tip...if you can't plunge cut, you can't cut. :cool:

This is very advanced cutting more pics!
Who does this in the air?
Cuts in the air should be called different I think.
Such as the air-snap cut, the air- humbolt, the air-openface cut.

In this instance the air-modifided block-notch! ha

Ted-nice point.
If you desired to keep the spar attached to the stump and were concerned that the hinge fibers may be britle or prone to breakage, this would be a potential solution.

Gord-
I've seen this notch in only once place...Jerry Beranek and Keith Ankler's poster of "At 150 Ft. UP-Still 7 FT. IN DIAMETER!"

Last edited:
Originally posted by Burnham
Heck, Rescue, no conscientious chain saw operator DOESN'T cut with the tip...if you can't plunge cut, you can't cut. :cool:

You and spyder didn't notice all the smileys with my message?

I was yankin' your crank! I've done a few plunge cuts myself and some chain saw sculpting with the bar tip. Also some scribed-log building, which requires carving a lengthwise V out of each log to exactly fit the contours of the log beneath it.

- Robert

'Course I saw them, Rescue...I was holding up a mirror for you, playing the same game. ;) We're havin' fun now, aren't we!

I've seen this notch in only once place...Jerry Beranek and Keith Ankler's poster of "At 150 Ft. UP-Still 7 FT. IN DIAMETER!"

me too...i want a copy of that poster, anyone know how they can be got?

I got mine from Bailey's.

I'm not sure thats the notch, though. It was weirder than that. A variation on one he calls a 'Humbolt, old growth style'. Kinda like a step was in it. Not like the earlier notch.

humbolt.JPG

Last edited:
Back